Noobs looking to root look here 1st

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Tallica, Aug 10, 2010.

1. bharkin

bharkin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I ran into a problem while trying this on my Droid X. I got to the bootloader, entered RDM lite, it saw my phone, loaded the file, hit start and it failed. What am I missing or doing wrong?

2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    Ratings:
    +6
    The method outlined in the OP is for the Droid 1. Droid X users have to use a different method, and while progress has been made getting an alternate recovery image to work on the X to do the same thing SPRecovery or ClockworkMOD Recovery does on the Droid, it's nowhere near ready yet.

3. XxSinisteRxX

XxSinisteRxX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Need to know some specific steps...

Ok, here is what i have: Motorola Droid 1 with the 2.2 Froyo Update, Baseband Version: C_01.43.01P, Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-g103d848 android-build@apa26 #1, Build Number: FRG01B. Basically all I've done is download the update.zip file from one of the forums on here, mounted my phone, put the update.zip file in the root of my phone, rebooted the phone with X and the Power button into what i understand as "recovery mode", clicked on apply:update.zip, then when it was done i rebooted my phone, sync'd all my lost data back to my phone.

Now you know what i currently have, now i'll let you know what i wanna do with this phone. (since everyone's saying how to root the 2.0.1 or 2.1 version of my phone and can't seem to tell me if the process is a little different for the 2.2 version....)
    This is what i'm looking to do with my phone:

Root
    Overclock it to 1.2mhz(Max) and 350mhz(Min).
    Install a custom rom with some useful features.
    I want to learn how to develop everyday useful applications, and contribute to the community.
    And i wouldn't mind having the Droid X theme.
    I am also interested in this whole "Wifi Tethering" thing i keep seeing everywhere, might be useful.

I need to know step by step how to do this the right way the first time.
    I don't wanna brick my phone and have to do an insurance claim on it...

Kinda like: "Ok first you need to have these files and programs on your computer BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, and here are the links to these files"
    Please do not be afraid to talk to me like a kid, i'm a noob and i expect it. lol...
    And i hear all this hype about peteralfonso and this bugless beast v.04, maybe that's something i'm interested in trying out.. Open to suggestions. :) That's all for now, since i've basically typed an essay that sounded kinda demanding... :\ Not meant to sound that way, its just that nobody has been clean and clear with me about exactly how to do all these things properly and preferably with no cost. Kinda unemployed at the moment.....
    Much thanks to anyone who is patient enough to help with this. :) dancedroid

4. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    See the link in my sig.

Also, pay heed to the warnings about Easy Root and the current issue with the 2.1 SPRecovery SBF.

5. XxSinisteRxX

XxSinisteRxX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, here are some things i need to know first. What is an SBF? What does it mean to "FLASH" or whatever? What is an SDK?
    I'm not familiar with all the lingo everyone uses on here and nobody seems to explain it, everyone's talkin to noobs like they should instantly know what these terms mean. lol.
    I have heard that easy root is a great way to root your phone the "easy" way and i've also heard that it isn't great to use. Personally i'm broke right now and can't afford to pay them what they deserve for the app. So i need other options.

6. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
  7. sirnewbz

sirnewbz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    help!!

i installed rom manager on my moto droid 2.2, tried to download flash clockworkmod recovery, but it says "an error occured while attempting to run privileged commands!" does this mean my droid's not rooted? i had to physically install the update from my computer, cause the droid said it had the most current update. i thought i rooted it. can anyone help?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  8. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    1, how did you root, 2, are you sure you have SU capabilities, 3, did you install busybox, 4, the thread in my signature might be helpful.

9. XxSinisteRxX

XxSinisteRxX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Clarification

So by doing christim's options 1 through 3 my phone will then be rooted and have a custom rom on it?

Also, i've noticed that he does not talk about 2.2 in that post. Only 2.1 Is the process different at all for the 2.2 version or exactly the same?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  10. furbearingmammal

Ratings:
    +6
    The 2 most important things you need to know right now is you are rooting 2.2 via SPRecovery you need to be flashing the right SPRecovery SBF and two people last night attempted it with the SBF that MotoCache1 just created. These two people reported initial success but then the phone seemed to revert back to the stock recovery image. We are not, at present, aware of a fix for this. We have some suspicions, including different bootloader images, problems with Windows 7/Vista 64 incompatibilities, and RSD Lite 4.7 being used versus 4.6. At this point all we can really say is:

Yes, that should work, especially if you're running RSD Lite 4.6 and trying to flash from a 32-bit Windows XP computer. We're (and by we I mean they ;)) are working on the issue. Hopefully there will be a definitive answer for you soon.

11. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I think those might be the only cases reported so far. Moto is on to the problem though, I think the problrm only affects phones that did the OTA, if you manually installed 2.2 his new .sbf is good to go, from what I gather.

12. Tallica

Ratings:
    +1
    No, doing option 1-3 will put SPRecovery on your phone and make a backup as it is in it's current state. Then all you have to do is pick a Rom and install with SPR

How did you get to 2.2, OTA or manuall install?

13. XxSinisteRxX

XxSinisteRxX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Manual Install, but it wasn't from Moto. It was someone else but i can't remember who. So once i put SPRecovery on my device, i can install a custom rom and it will root at the same time? :icon_eek:

14. sirnewbz

sirnewbz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i recently, this morning, installed bugless beast v0.4 on my 2.2 moto droid, rooted of course, but im still getting pop-ups saying "system update available for froyo 2.2"

wtf?

15. Tallica

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, It's that easy:)

Search tags for this page

cynanmod s3

root app cynanmod