Noobs looking to root look here 1st

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Tallica, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

FOR DROID 1 ONLY!

I have seen a lot of issues and answered a ton a questions about easy root and Rom Manager. I'm not here to bash any apps, it just seems like lots of people are having issues with these.

Don't get me wrong, more times then not it is user error, which brings me to...

#1 if you want to root do a little homework: What you need to know about rooting:

#2 After reading, the least problematic way to go is here: SBF to root and to unroot

Do option 1, then 2, then 3. Then you can install a Custom Rom to gain root access. Their are Roms that are rooted that are "Virgin" (just like the OTA but rooted) or ones with all the "bells and whistles"

This is easily the "safest" way to root. And in my opinion VERY EASY!
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

I agree tallica!! I'm thinking this would be better in droid hacks or something. By the time they go to this section they're already screwed don't you think?
  3. Tallica

You are probably right, I just want it somewhere where it has high visability, mabe a sticky???
  4. Apollo

Apollo New Member

What would you guys recommend to Linux users? Haven't searched, just asking..
  5. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Actually tallica before they root they need to know what is going on and that is the problem. We in the RS knows there is a problem with the structure and the issues with rooting. We are working hard on a solution and look to have it as soon as we can.
  6. pc747

see my sig and click on the link.
  7. pc747

nvrmnd apollo i see u are rooted and running a rom, my apologies.
  8. Tallica

By asking I assume RSD does not work for Linix?

Find someone with a pc, it takes 10 min to flash SPR and you only have to do it once.
  9. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

I really really like that link PilotCharles. Tallica you want to add his sig to the OP then I'll suggest a sticky and have it moved to Hacking Help.
  10. Tallica

I completly agree with them knowing what is going on 1st. but if you have a pc there are pretty much no issues with the way I described. Rom Manager has people "losing" their recoveries left and right. I have never "lost" SPR.
  11. Tallica

Agreed, I will update the OP

Thanks pilotcharles
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  12. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    I have the feeling I'm a little responsible for some of the problems, and for that I apologize. My post-root guide suggests installing ROMManager for people who rooted using Easy Root because, let's face it, if they're using Easy Root they don't want to hook their Droids up to a PC, and in rare cases can't. It's a good app, but it's a lot trickier to work than Easy Root.

The problem isn't ROMManager (though it does have its issues, no offense Koush), it's the fact that Easy Root makes it too easy to root. People are rooting without understanding anything they're doing, what to expect, or how to proceed (which is where my guide comes in). I've almost pulled my hair out trying to get some people to understand what I mean when I say flashing something, or rebooting into recovery. How can anyone really expect to do anything if the simplest jargon and explanations are over their heads? And who gets left holding the bag? Well, once I try the simple stuff, I point them over at the Rescue Squad, so I'm assuming I have a few well-earned lumps coming. ;)

Perhaps the suggestion should be to use Easy Root only as a last resort?

Also, as to Linux -- does RSDLite work under Wine? If it does, there's the fix right there.
  13. Tallica

You are right that some don't understad. A lot of people think once they are rooted they can just install a custom Rom! Obviously they need a custom recovery 1st.

That is why I recomend putting the recovery on 1st then just installing a Rom to gain Root.

Also I beg to differ about Rom Manager. There have been too many people, not just noobs, that have "lost" their recoveries after using Rom Manager, It's a known bug in Froyo. I have nothing against Clockwork, just RM.

If there was a CW.sbf like the SPR one people could take their pick
  14. furbearingmammal

Well, then ROMManager is a problem. :)

I don't use it. Unless CyanogenMod only becomes available via ROMManager I never will. :D
  15. Apollo

Apollo New Member

No worries. I am rooted, running roms, oc'd, and latest basebands are installed on both of my Droids. I am asking, so that in the event a Linux friendly newcomer joins, I mght be able to point him/her in the right direction.

Testing.. If I remember correctly, the first time I tried running RSDLite in Wine, the result was failure. I eventually just used my Windows laptop to root. Others, may not have this option.

===========================================

I am curious about Linux rooting. Not simply because I myself am a Linux user, but because, surely there will be other curious Linux users who will want to know as well.
  16. bharkin

bharkin New Member

I ran into a problem while trying this on my Droid X. I got to the bootloader, entered RDM lite, it saw my phone, loaded the file, hit start and it failed. What am I missing or doing wrong?
  17. furbearingmammal

The method outlined in the OP is for the Droid 1. Droid X users have to use a different method, and while progress has been made getting an alternate recovery image to work on the X to do the same thing SPRecovery or ClockworkMOD Recovery does on the Droid, it's nowhere near ready yet.
  18. XxSinisteRxX

XxSinisteRxX New Member

Need to know some specific steps...

Ok, here is what i have: Motorola Droid 1 with the 2.2 Froyo Update, Baseband Version: C_01.43.01P, Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-g103d848 android-build@apa26 #1, Build Number: FRG01B. Basically all I've done is download the update.zip file from one of the forums on here, mounted my phone, put the update.zip file in the root of my phone, rebooted the phone with X and the Power button into what i understand as "recovery mode", clicked on apply:update.zip, then when it was done i rebooted my phone, sync'd all my lost data back to my phone.

Now you know what i currently have, now i'll let you know what i wanna do with this phone. (since everyone's saying how to root the 2.0.1 or 2.1 version of my phone and can't seem to tell me if the process is a little different for the 2.2 version....)
    This is what i'm looking to do with my phone:

Root
    Overclock it to 1.2mhz(Max) and 350mhz(Min).
    Install a custom rom with some useful features.
    I want to learn how to develop everyday useful applications, and contribute to the community.
    And i wouldn't mind having the Droid X theme.
    I am also interested in this whole "Wifi Tethering" thing i keep seeing everywhere, might be useful.

I need to know step by step how to do this the right way the first time.
    I don't wanna brick my phone and have to do an insurance claim on it...

Kinda like: "Ok first you need to have these files and programs on your computer BEFORE DOING ANYTHING, and here are the links to these files"
    Please do not be afraid to talk to me like a kid, i'm a noob and i expect it. lol...
    And i hear all this hype about peteralfonso and this bugless beast v.04, maybe that's something i'm interested in trying out.. Open to suggestions. :) That's all for now, since i've basically typed an essay that sounded kinda demanding... :\ Not meant to sound that way, its just that nobody has been clean and clear with me about exactly how to do all these things properly and preferably with no cost. Kinda unemployed at the moment.....
    Much thanks to anyone who is patient enough to help with this. :) dancedroid
  19. furbearingmammal

See the link in my sig.

Also, pay heed to the warnings about Easy Root and the current issue with the 2.1 SPRecovery SBF.
  20. XxSinisteRxX

XxSinisteRxX New Member

Ok, here are some things i need to know first. What is an SBF? What does it mean to "FLASH" or whatever? What is an SDK?
    I'm not familiar with all the lingo everyone uses on here and nobody seems to explain it, everyone's talkin to noobs like they should instantly know what these terms mean. lol.
    I have heard that easy root is a great way to root your phone the "easy" way and i've also heard that it isn't great to use. Personally i'm broke right now and can't afford to pay them what they deserve for the app. So i need other options.
Search tags for this page

cynanmod s3

root app cynanmod