Noobie, Backup help

Hudson922

Reaction score
Ok I am new and just completed my first root but I think I may have made a mistake. I was following radar3d's instructions from droidmod. I'm not sure if my unrooted backup saved to my phone I named it 2.1unrooted but all I see is BDS-20100609-1825 and 2.1_rooted_fresh-BCDMRS-20100609-1849. Is the first one my unrooted just w/o the full title?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok I am new and just completed my first root but I think I may have made a mistake. I was following radar3d's instructions from droidmod. I'm not sure if my unrooted backup saved to my phone I named it 2.1unrooted but all I see is BDS-20100609-1825 and 2.1_rooted_fresh-BCDMRS-20100609-1849. Is the first one my unrooted just w/o the full title?

It does have today's date...

Is that the only backup you made today?

OP
H

Hudson922

Reaction score
I did 2 backups, one unrooted and one rooted from right after the root was done.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did 2 backups, one unrooted and one rooted from right after the root was done.

Did you name your rooted one 2.1_rooted_fresh?

If so, it is probably safe to assume that the other one is your unrooted backup.

You can always get back to an unrooted phone by using RSDLite and the .sbf, but you probably won't need too.

OP
H

Hudson922

Reaction score
Cool thank you. I was starting to think the first one was the unrooted save. It's my first time rooting so I'm a bit skittish.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cool thank you. I was starting to think the first one was the unrooted save. It's my first time rooting so I'm a bit skittish.

Understandable! Most of us were that way at one point or another!

Next step for you? Froyo! dancedroid (we need a dancing cup of Froyo now...)

Last edited:
OP
H

Hudson922

Reaction score
Eventually I would like to go froyo but I would like to start small maybe just an OC at first then make the jump to froyo once I can pin down what all I need to know about getting it running. There are so many threads and I unfortuanatly don't have 3 days off to read them all.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Eventually I would like to go froyo but I would like to start small maybe just an OC at first then make the jump to froyo once I can pin down what all I need to know about getting it running. There are so many threads and I unfortuanatly don't have 3 days off to read them all.

If you have GTalk, I can help you get it running and point you to what you need. It would be a lot easier than waiting for my email to say I have another reply. If you just want to overclock though, I would recommend Chevy's new cooler kernels. You can find them here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/48639-new-cooler-kernels-need-testers.html

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
OC kernels are the easiest to install. Anything in and update.zip format is simple and painless. I like Chevyno1's kernels for 2.1, but there are many out there. One thing to remember is not all Droids are created equal. Some can run at 1.2ghz with no problems and some can only go to 900mhz. Rooting is often a trial and error process, but there is alot of support out there and never be afraid to ask a question.

OP
H

Hudson922

Reaction score
Cool thank you very much guys. I don't have Gtalk downloaded, but I may need to wait befor I do anything else. I didn't start with a full battery now its extremly low so I'm goig to let it recharge before starting the next project.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cool thank you very much guys. I don't have Gtalk downloaded, but I may need to wait befor I do anything else. I didn't start with a full battery now its extremly low so I'm goig to let it recharge before starting the next project.

Good idea! You already learned one thing that many people fail to remember... :p

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
oh and BTW you have gtalk. It comes standard on the phone. It's the Talk app in your app drawer.

OP
H

Hudson922

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity I've seen in several places that rooting can void your warrenty. Is that really a big problem or can that just happen if you really screw something up?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
oh and BTW you have gtalk. It comes standard on the phone. It's the Talk app in your app drawer.

It's easier when people have the standalone computer application so that you can continue helping them even when their phone's are off (like when their flashing something).