Noob

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Root (in a nutshell) gives you administrative access to your phone. not really anything by itself. Its just the apps that u can use that take advantage of it.

Nothing will really look any different on your phone after you root. its simple to do if u do Option A

sorry for pushing it its just fun to do :) and the fact that im procrastinating studying so im on here haha

OP
K

Kendroid24

Reaction score
Oh I was expecting drastic change.Haha no problem I am excited about doing it just very afraid really because it seems so esoteric and web browsing is almost all I am good for with a computer.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
theres a lot of users on here who root - u get to join the dark side :icon_eek:

OP
K

Kendroid24

Reaction score
I am excited!I can not wait to show my brother and dad the beauty of rooting.I have been begging them for weeks to let me practice on their original moto droid but neither are in to anything that does not involve sweaty men and balls so they tell me to take my nerd babble elsewhere.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am excited!I can not wait to show my brother and dad the beauty of rooting.I have been begging them for weeks to let me practice on their original moto droid but neither are in to anything that does not involve sweaty men and balls so they tell me to take my nerd babble elsewhere.

i feel like im in that same boat as you lmao

since were already in depth, may i suggest a few more rooted apps

drocap2 - take screenshots

ad free - block all ads

Wireless tether for root users - free tethering (theres also wired for desktops)

busybox - add linux commands

Titanium backup - also freeze apps that you dont want (system apps that VZW puts on there that you cant uninstall without root)

theres many others but thats just what i have on my DX

OP
K

Kendroid24

Reaction score
It sucks,and I do not know anyone that knows anything about rooting or hacking for that matter.Will I need bootstrap?I keep seeing that everywhere.Awesome all of those will be useful.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
haha thats what the forum is for - there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here

and yes, for the D2, because the bootloader is still locked, you need the bootstrap.

just take the apk from here
My Brain Hurts

copy to sdcard and install using a file manager (after ur rooted, of course)

then choose the first option to flash the recovery and the second option to boot into it.

OP
K

Kendroid24

Reaction score
I am glad I stumbled upon this.Okay,should I keep my backup on my comp just in case?How difficult will it be for me to save my phone after I get too cocky and mess it up?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i would have mentioned it after u rooted :)

yes u can take nandroid backups off ur sdcard and onto ur computer. IF something really goes wrong, u can flash the sbf to get back to stock, reroot, and restore ur backup.

or if you can boot into recovery when having a problem, you can just wipe and restore a backup

OP
K

Kendroid24

Reaction score
Is rooting and adding roms and themes pretty much fool proof?I feel so stupid for not knowing all this.Will I need to download nandroid?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
nandroid are just the types of backups you will make in recovery

if you read the rom threads (and the comments too) you can figure out how to do them. just takes a little reading

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
but im getting off of here for the night. if you have any more questions feel free to PM me or post about it