1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

[nOOb warning] Cyanogen 6.0 RC2 Kernels and overclocking, do I need Set CPU?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by qwopzxnm, Aug 2, 2010.

1. qwopzxnm

qwopzxnm New Member

After being on the fence about it I finally rooted my Droid 1 and my first ROM install was the Cyanogen 6.0 RC2. I also installed the 7 slot, 1ghz, low voltage kernel.

My question is do I still have to get an app that lets me set my CPU speed? Or did simply installing the kernel already overclock me to 1ghz?

Thanks for your help.
  2. kyle94481

kyle94481 New Member

Installing that kernel automatically set your clock max to 1GHz, if you want to see for yourself, download an app called terminal emulator from the market. When it's done downloading, go into the app and type what is written below

cpuinfo

Then press enter.
    I'll break it down for you,

Maximum Frequency Applied - This is the maximum clock speed your processor is currently set to go to, this is basically the max speed of the kernel you have installed, which in your case would be 1GHz.

Maximum Frequency Applied - I believe this is the just the max speed available for the processor to be set at. With the kernel you have installed in mind, that is.

Minimum Frequency Applied - This is the minimum that your clock speed that your kernel is set to drop to.

Minimum Frequency Available - This is the minimum clock speed that your kernel is set to drop to. In your case it would be either the 1st or 7th slot of your kernel (depending on the order from which it is displayed on their download page)

Current Frequency Speed - This is the clock speed that your phone is currently running at, remember that this rate can function depending on the governors that are in place.

Scaling Governors Applied - The current governor that your kernel is set to.

Scaling Governors Available - These are the governors that your phone's kernel supports.

Governors are basically just parameters for the phone's processor to run at based on what the kernel tells it. You can derive what they mean for the most part just by looking at their names.

The following things that are stated in the cpuinfo command aren't that important for you at the time being. Hope this helps :)
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  3. qwopzxnm

qwopzxnm New Member

Thanks for the reply Kyle it was a huge help. I went into Terminal Emulator and when I type in cpuinfo and hit enter it says "permission denied".

However knowing that when I installed the kernel it was enough to overclock my cpu is all I needed to know. Thanks again for your help!
  4. kyle94481

kyle94481 New Member

Your welcome :) If you're getting that "permission denied" message, then before you type in cpuinfo type in the letters "su" without the quotations. This stands for super user, giving you complete control over it and giving permission to do whatever you want within that terminal. Glad to know I helped, if you need any more help, just post it here.
  5. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

If you're wondering this just because you can't/ don't want to buy the SetCPU app, I believe you can find the .apk on the XDA dev forums...
  6. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

There's a widget called overclock widget which is free and does basically the same thing as setcpu just doesn't have all the features of set cpu
  7. stryker71

stryker71 New Member

If I try and run cpuinfo before su I get permission denied. After su it says "cpuinfo: not found". I have busybox v 1.16.2. Any ideas where that command is?
  8. qwopzxnm

qwopzxnm New Member

I'm now getting the same thing you are.
  9. gflam

cpuinfo is a script that is located in your xbin it however is rom specific. I run bugless beast v0.4 and pete included this script in his rom you guys might be running something else and your developer didn't have that script in his rom.
    It's much easier just to get setcpu it'll be the best money you spend for your phone
  10. qwopzxnm

qwopzxnm New Member

Thanks gflam. I'm running Cyanogen 6.0 RC2 with the bekit 7 slot, 1ghz, low voltage kernel on a Droid 1.

I've been trying to use Rom Manager to switch to and try BB V.4 but it's not working for some reason.
  11. stryker71

stryker71 New Member

12. gflam

What isn't working do you actually get into recovery or does it just reboot your phone? I need you to be a little more specific as to what isn't exactly working
  13. qwopzxnm

qwopzxnm New Member

I'm new to rooting so I've just been using the free version of ROM manager and downloading the versions they have available. When I DL BB v.4 it gets done and then nothing happens. When I DL Cayanogen it popped up and prompted me to install.
  14. gflam

Well did u try to download anything esle besides bugless beast and was prompted? or is nothing prompting u. If it's jut bugless beast it's quite weird that that's happening you could try fixing permissions or flashing an older clockwork and then back to the newest but if worst comes to worst you can download the rom online shouldn't be hard to find just google it and u can install it that way