Noob wants to install PE 6.5

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by moxy, Jul 26, 2011.

1. moxy

moxy New Member

I've been reading all the guides and stuff and everything I try it always fails through Open Recovery. I think it's mainly because the MD5 checksum is missing. I looked at other ROMs and the MD5 never seems to be included. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to generate my own?

Thx!
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

I am not at all familiar with Open Recovery, but I will give this a shot.

Open Recovery looks to be able to install update.zip files, which is what the ROM download would be. It sounds like you are trying to install it like you are restoring a nandroid backup, which does have (well requires) an .md5 file. A nandroid and an update.zip are different things. There are ROMs that may come in the nandroid method (I haven't seen one for the OG Droid in probably a year, but they can exist). ProjectElite won't be a nandroid ROM, it is an update.zip .

Essentially what you will want to do, change the name of the file you downloaded from ProjectElite65.zip (or whatever it is called ) to update.zip . Place that file on the root directory of your sdcard, then install it in your recovery. There appears to be an option saying "Apply Update" which I would assume is the option you would use.

I recommend making a backup prior to installing this ROM. Also you are going to need to wipe data and cache prior to installing this ROM.
  3. moxy

moxy New Member

Thanks for your reply.

I tried renaming the zip and when I try to apply it, it errors saying that the signature verification failed :(

When I try update via OR it returns an Status7 error.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Maybe open recovery isn't compatible with this sort of update.zip. It appears as though it is, but I really have no experience with that recovery. Maybe try asking folks that use that recovery more? XDA would probably be a decent place to start, Motorola Droid and Milestone - xda-developers .

Side note, it is also quite possible that this ROM just isn't compatible with your phone. I don't know why I didn't think of that when I first responded to your post. There are multiple versions of the Milestone, some are locked down, some aren't. Depending on the version you have, you may not have the ability to flash custom kernels. Since the Droid can accept custom kernels, ROMs for the Droid will come with them. Do you have the a853 or a854 Milestone?
  5. moxy

moxy New Member

It's the a853. Looks like a compatibility issue :(

I got Cyanogenmod 7 to work and the phone is now nice and fast.
  6. crxlvr

crxlvr New Member

You don't need to rename the rom as update.zip, you should be able to select "choose file from sdcard" then cycle to your download folder and just click on it to install

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  7. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

I don't think it will work. Ive seen the milestone roms and they have a lot more pre-compiled stuff from moto thats needed because of the milestone being locked down. Sorry. If some how someone does get it to work that woul dbe sweet but im sure you need to change some jar files and proprietary files and maybe tweak some stuff on the build prop. I'm not really sure since I'm not familiar with the device
  8. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

+1! That's what the "ro.product.device" error means - wrong device.

This thread has been Thunder struck!!