noob/soon to be ex iPhone user....

mr wrong

Reaction score
OK, so I'm an iPhone user on AT&T, and am eligible for an upgrade in May. I've decided to ditch the iPhone for a Droid, and was wondering which one to get. I've been with AT&T for over ten years, and have no complaints, though I hear that they have somewhat locked down the Droid, and it's various apps. My actual contract isn't up till next September, so if I would be much better off, I would consider going to Verizon, but only as a last resort. I realize that I have six Months before my upgrade, which is a lifetime in terms of technology, but hypothetically speaking, if I was upgrading today, which AT&T droid is recommended, and what ways are there to get around AT&T's app restrictions?

Thanks, and my apologies if I am mentioning hardware, or carriers that may be taboo..

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
droidforums is mostly verizon droids but any phone that runs android (what VZW droids have) will be a step up from iOS.

cpjr

Reaction score
I would personally go with Verizon if you want a Droid. ATT doesnt have much of a selection in comparison.....if you want to stay with ATT you might as well keep the iphone.

But again, this is just my opinion.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
For one...Droids are Verizon only. As far as Android phones on ATT I would say the Captivate is the best right now. In a month or so the Motorola Olympus will be availible for ATT which will be top dog for sure for a little bit. If you do decide to switch VZW will have many good Android phones to choose from.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
M

mr wrong

Reaction score
For one...Droids are Verizon only. As far as Android phones on ATT I would say the Captivate is the best right now. In a month or so the Motorola Olympus will be availible for ATT which will be top dog for sure for a little bit. If you do decide to switch VZW will have many good Android phones to choose from.

Sent from somewhere...

The Olympus sounds good. My remaining concern is that I will have a diminished Android experience if I stick with AT&T. Is that a legitimate concern? Will I still have access to the same app community?

Thanks for all the quick responses..

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
nope. android app market is google - theres a few that are carrier specific but u should be fine.

dbst

Reaction score
+1 for the Olympus. I assume you have good service from AT&T where you live?

Last edited:
OP
M

mr wrong

Reaction score
+1 for the Olympus. I assume you have good service from AT&T where you live?

Yes. My service has been great. Noticed that there are some good tethering apps without having to pay additional charges. That alone, and being able to download music from my eMusic account, is making this an easier choice..

Thanks again..

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a former iPhone user. I switched to AT&T to get an iPhone. Prior to the iPhone, I was with VZW for eight years. In the seven months I was with AT&T I dropped more calls the the previous eight years with VZW.

I returned to VZW and purchased a Droid about a year ago. I have no regrets. For me, VZW and Android are a better solution.

BTW, I have several Apple products (iMac, Mac Book Pro, iPad)

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

hoppermi

Reaction score

Sent from somewhere...

The Olympus sounds good. My remaining concern is that I will have a diminished Android experience if I stick with AT&T. Is that a legitimate concern? Will I still have access to the same app community?

Thanks for all the quick responses..

If you are referring to AT&T blocking non-market apps. If you are willing to root and run custom roms you can probably get around it. If you are sticking with stock, your options will be limited (to an extent).

OP
M

mr wrong

Reaction score
I'm a former iPhone user. I switched to AT&T to get an iPhone. Prior to the iPhone, I was with VZW for eight years. In the seven months I was with AT&T I dropped more calls the the previous eight years with VZW.

I returned to VZW and purchased a Droid about a year ago. I have no regrets. For me, VZW and Android are a better solution.

BTW, I have several Apple products (iMac, Mac Book Pro, iPad)

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

I can honestly say that I have not had many dropped calls with AT&T. With that said, if I was patient enough to wait till next Sept, I think I would switch to VZW. Just to clarify that since I have no service complaints, I should be good-to-go with an Olympus on AT&T, right? Plus I'm still covered under my unlimited data plan I had for three years.