NOOB rooting problem

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by soup285, Mar 12, 2010.

1. soup285

soup285 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did some backing up with astro and titanium after rooting with droidmod 1.0 i then followed the directions to install blackdroid ultimate droid5.0 and in doing so, some kind of "wipe" was involved where I thought I could get my data back. It seems I dont have it now, and Im wondering if anyone knows how I can get back to Droidmod 1.0 with all my apps and data or even the unrooted version with my apps and data?

hopefully I have not lost all my data and have more options than just going back to bare-bones stock? but I wouldn't know... really am a new jack at this.

can someone please help?

2. gatewayad

gatewayad Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Go to DMUpdater click latest rom droidmod 1.0 then pick 1.0 flash tar and follow the directions
    should take you right back

3. CFH

CFH Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you backed up with Titanium Backup, your backups are still there. Go to the Market and download Titanium again. Open it, and you will then see your backups. Then you can restore them with your data intact.

Edit: Also, if you made a nandroid backup before installing the new rom, you could just install the backup, and all your stuff would be there, just like before. If you didn't do a nandroid backup before installing a new rom, you should have...:icon_ devil:

4. soup285

soup285 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the DM updater icon is no longer there. unless I should be looking somewhere else for it.

Thanks, I will try that, BUT i still want to get rid / out of this ultimate droid deal I have going on.

5. CFH

CFH Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hope you didn't miss my edit.

If you didn't create a nandroid backup, you can just start from scratch on installing Droidmod. Don't worry about your data, it's saved on the sd card if you backed it up with Titanium. Just download the DMUpdater again, and install the rom. Then download Titanium, and restore your apps. But make sure you do a complete wipe before installing, so your current rom doesn't leave any tracks behind.

6. soup285

soup285 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    saw the edit. downloaded titanium and it seems to have saved my data, so that is good.

starting from scratch with droidmod doesnt seem like the end of the world, so that's good too, however, 2 questions:

One, if i decide to unroot from droidmod in the future, I will obviously then go back to scratch if i wipe my phone first?

how exactly would I be sure to wipe the phone in the process of re-loading droidmod?

I appreciate the help, by the way.

7. soup285

soup285 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    also, I guess im not sure whether I created a nandroid backup or not. is the fact that I don't know indicative that I did not?

8. gatewayad

gatewayad Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  9. soup285

soup285 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry, but my questions will keep on comin' as I am truly new to the rooting game.

So now that ive downloaded dm. should I update back to the stock (no root) option or just jump right back straight to droid mod 1.0?

10. CFH

CFH Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Use a file explorer to look in the nandroid folder on your sd card. If there's a file in there that starts with preinstall- and some letters and numbers, you have a nandroid backup. The numbers correspond to the date the backup was made. For instance, if you installed 5.0 yesterday, the nandroid backup will have the numbers 20100311 in it. That's the one that will put Droidmod and all your apps back the way they were.

If it's there, boot into recovery, and choose wipe data/factory reset. Once that's done, choose wipe cache partition. Once that's done, scroll down to backup/restore. Choose that, then choose advanced Nandroid restore. Then choose the nandroid backup that has the date you installed 5.0. restore it, and re-boot, and you should be good to go.

11. gatewayad

gatewayad Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    1.0 and if it gives you the option to flash tar do that

12. soup285

soup285 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    when i get to that final screen in the recovery that says choose backup and lists

(*) restore boot
    ( ) cache
    (*) data
    ( ) misc
    ( ) recovery
    (*) system

like such.... for one, which should i select?

EDIT

once i go to choose backup i have:

preinstall - bds - 20100312-1636
    preinstall - bds - 20100312-1703
    ultimatedroid5

which one should i go for?

13. CFH

CFH Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Check all the options. As for the install, I'd install the 1703. If that's not the one you want, then install the 1636.

14. soup285

soup285 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    really, a million thank you's to the people who helped in this thread.

for the future, the difference between a rom and a theme... are all roms going to act that way, how it kind of wiped the phone? any other advice before I can think of anything / do something else stupid.

15. gatewayad

gatewayad Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Each phone acts different, you just need to experiment with the theme or rom you think you want to try and just make sure you have a updated backup on the sd card.
    I am not one to try a new rom untill most of the bugs are worked out of it. This 1.0 on my phone is as fast and stable as any of the 2.1 roms i have tried (IMHO). I havent tried anything new in over a week, guess im happy for now. But i guess whatever they are cookin up over at droidmod i can wait patiently for (at least for now) :icon_ devil:

EDIT: Yes if you go from 2.0.1 to 2.1 you need to wipe all date from the phone