Noob questions about D2G

kenstar

Reaction score
I am a new user of the Droid in general. I have a few questions...

I see in a lot of screenshots of ppl's phones there's a camera icon in the notification bar, is this an app?

On the phone there's a 3g Mobile Hotspot icon. I am guessing you would use this to tether your phone. If I set this up will I be charged, or will it just not work period(I don't have the tether service)? I am afraid to even open it to see, from fear of it charging me.

From reading posts, I understand that if I root my droid I can use it to tether freely. How does it work freely, I just find it hard to believe.

Thanks.

xixgrimmxix

Reaction score
As long as you have unlimited data plan for ur droid the tether is free. All it does is use the phones data to connect internet to ur computer.

As far as the camera icon, it does come up like that if ur camera is open or if you have a shortcut for it setup in ur notification bar. (Bar tool app)...

<Rooted droid ally>
>> velocity 0.3 <<
>>running turbo4<<

bishoy

Reaction score
As long as you have unlimited data plan for ur droid the tether is free. All it does is use the phones data to connect internet to ur computer.

not true- if you use the 3g mobile hotspot app, you will be charged. it is a $20/month fee, and i believe this is what the OP meant by tethering.

kenstar- if you tether using apps such as PDAnet or EasyTether (or if you are rooted you can use barnacle or Wifi tether for root users), you will not be charged. but DO NOT use the 3g mobile hotspot app unless you are willing to pay $20/month. I hope that answers your question

xixgrimmxix

Reaction score
As i said tether is free, never said anything about hotspot being free

<Rooted droid ally>
>> velocity 0.3 <<
>>running turbo4<<

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Agreed! That is 100% false. The "unlimited data" is for your phone only, not the hotspot.

not true- if you use the 3g mobile hotspot app, you will be charged. it is a $20/month fee, and i believe this is what the OP meant by tethering.

kenstar- if you tether using apps such as PDAnet or EasyTether (or if you are rooted you can use barnacle or Wifi tether for root users), you will not be charged. but DO NOT use the 3g mobile hotspot app unless you are willing to pay $20/month. I hope that answers your question

DroidForums junkie!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
He is talking about the 3G Hotspot.

As i said tether is free, never said anything about hotspot being free

<Rooted droid ally>
>> velocity 0.3 <<
>>running turbo4<<

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
K

kenstar

Reaction score
Thanks. And Yes, I was talking about the 3G Hotspot app.

I just find it odd how using a different app can get your free tethering. What's so special in the app (such as barnacle or w/e) that makes it able for the user to get it free, as opposed to paying for it using 3G Hotspot.

Also, I have the Lookout app in my notification bar. I've been hearing mixed reviews about it. Should I set it up, or just ditch it all together?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Verizon doesn't know you're using it for tethering with those apps (unless you use ungodly amounts of data tethering).
If you wanna keep Lookout, disable the anti-virus part of it.

DroidForums junkie!!

mgonczar

Reaction score
Lookout is great for the phone finder and back up feature, I don't recommend the anti virus part of it though

TwoBuells

Reaction score
I am a new user of the Droid in general. I have a few questions...

I see in a lot of screenshots of ppl's phones there's a camera icon in the notification bar, is this an app?

Its a screen capture app for rooted users, drocap

CAP201010230514.jpg

OP
K

kenstar

Reaction score
ah, yes. that's the one I was thinking of. thnx.