Noob Question

notw53

Reaction score
When I select to sync my contacts with my Google account is that just to sync the contacts in my Google account with my Droid or is it supposed to work both ways? My understanding was it would add all my other phone contacts into Google so that I don't have to input them all manually. I'm trying to figure out the whole Google contacts thing so I can switch to the rubiX Focused 1.0 ROM, since Backup Assistant won't work without blur.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I select to sync my contacts with my Google account is that just to sync the contacts in my Google account with my Droid or is it supposed to work both ways? My understanding was it would add all my other phone contacts into Google so that I don't have to input them all manually. I'm trying to figure out the whole Google contacts thing so I can switch to the rubiX Focused 1.0 ROM, since Backup Assistant won't work without blur.

I believe it works both ways. If you are on your phone and add a email address to one of your contacts and run the sync it adds it to your email contacts. And if you add one from Gmail I believe it shows up on the contacts in your phone.

I could be wrong. But the first time I noticed contacts show up in my email I thought it was pretty cool. And I was wondering WTF?

OP
notw53

notw53

Reaction score

I believe it works both ways. If you are on your phone and add a email address to one of your contacts and run the sync it adds it to your email contacts. And if you add one from Gmail I believe it shows up on the contacts in your phone.

Ok so it does do it with email addresses. What about phone numbers? I keep reading that people use Google contacts for phone numbers too.

OP
notw53

notw53

Reaction score
Still can't seem to figure it out. Google isn't very clear about how to use that service. From what I've read everything from my phone contacts should automatically sync with Google, but it's not. The only thing I can guess is perhaps the FlyX ROM is causing the problem, but unfortunately I can't switch out of that until I figure out how to bring my contacts in through something besides Backup Assistant. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

OP
notw53

notw53

Reaction score
I can't seem to get anybody to respond with answers regarding contacts and Google. I would really like to get some help. And then I promise I won't post about it again!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

AngryMob

Reaction score
I'm having the same problems. There is a program you can download from Motorola to take your contacts off your phone, and then input them into your gmail account, all through the computer. The problem is that I rooted my droid 2 and the computer doesn't recognize it, I think it's because I rooted it. The program just says Unknown Device and will not let me pick it to take the contacts off.

OP
notw53

notw53

Reaction score
Interesting. What's the program called? I'll try it out and let you know what if I figure it out.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App