noob question, please give me a hand, no meanies!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by evilsock, Jan 2, 2010.

1. evilsock

evilsock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok droid rooted:motdroidhoriz::icon_ banana: and i have SUFBS,DroidRootPro, setCPU apps, now i want to learn how to do all the other goodies, i want to get rid of verizon crap apps but i literaly do not understand any of the instructions,
    Disable default Verizon crap
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    cd /system/app
    mv Email.apk Email.bak
    mv VVMStub.apk VVMStub.bak
    mv com.amazon.mp3.apk com.amazon.mp3.bak
    mv CorpCal.apk CorpCal.bak
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    sync
    reboot

where do i type this or are these menu buttons i press in su?
    , i dont understand what im suposed to do can someone plz dumb this down , what is yaffs2, mv, corpCal, please help!!

also next to sufbs app, there is a superuser permissions app icon when i click there are some + signs with numbers and random letters, when i click it they dissapear, what is that and am i doing something by clicking them?
    im begging, if someone will pm me and call or im me through this ill buy u a beer or name your price, thanks for any help

edit: if anyone has any apps they think i should get now that im rooted please feel free to list them, or let me know ANY thing i should not touch as a noob

#1 evilsock, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  2. Berzerker

Berzerker Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Those are commands run in a cmd prompt or a terminal (depending on which operating system you're on (windows or linux)).

3. evilsock

evilsock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    how and where do i type them? do i plug droid into comp? im 100% new at this i know mac comps a little but am on a pc netbook with windows xp
    i need to know everything i need to do so i can learn, do i need dl a file on my comp now to run those commands?

4. Serialkilla

Serialkilla Member

Ratings:
    +0
    DL terminal emulator from the market, then - open it up, and type this exactly the way it is:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    cd /system/app
    mv Email.apk Email.bak
    mv VVMStub.apk VVMStub.bak
    mv com.amazon.mp3.apk com.amazon.mp3.bak
    mv CorpCal.apk CorpCal.bak
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    sync
    reboot
    obviously hitting enter after each line, and that will remove the verizon apps. corpcal is the corporate calendar app.

5. Serialkilla

Serialkilla Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you're rooted - you can DL root manager too, and it has an option to remove default apps, thn you can just scroll thru and find these apps and remove them that way too

6. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Evil,

I think I answered part of this in your other thread a couple of doors down. Dupe posting is likley to not win you any favors from the mods here. FWIW.

Craig

7. evilsock

evilsock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    not trying to i ended up decidint to start my own thread after? what is double posting? look other than usual computer work and things of that nature im a noob, dont know forum manners im just looking for answers, sorry if i broke any rules, but can someone point me in the direction of how to enter these commands and where?
    im not stupid or completely computer dumb, im smart and follow directions well, i just need a start in the right direction

#7 evilsock, Jan 2, 2010
  8. Serialkilla

Serialkilla Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bro - post # 4 - I can't dumb it down anymore than that - use your droid, DL from the market, and run those commands in the emulator, or use the root manager app,and remove them that way - being how new you are to this, maybe the root manager is the better way for you to go, so as to not brick your phone while messing with the terminal emulator...no offense, I would just hate to see you remove something, or enter something wrong,and brick your Droid

9. evilsock

evilsock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok in root mgr, is visual vm called VVMStub.apk?
    and which emulator should i get?
    also anyone know the names of email app and corp calender?

#9 evilsock, Jan 2, 2010
  10. evilsock

evilsock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok found that out, but when i enter commands in emu, wichever one i get,when it goes to next line do i hit enter or move down manually?
    so i guess now all i need is a emu, someone tell me one that works good on moto droid?
    also deleted them with root manager, thank you,
    any other things on phone i can get rid of to free up space? like google talk?can that come off without a problem? i use eBuddy for my gtalk friends, found a few things that said talk, and gtalk in app list i can erase but dont wanna do any that will mess it up, thanks for help so far yall!

#10 evilsock, Jan 2, 2010
  11. evilsock

evilsock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok im getting some fc on panda home to the point i have to power it off and on i read something about a safe boot or some way to see if an app is messing with another, any ideas?

12. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Evil,

I truely hope that when you say you are deleting things that you mean you are renaming them with an additional .bak extension or simlilar way. You need to clearly understand that all apps, be they original phone apps or store bought apps may interface with other apps and processes on your phone. At the very least move them to the sd card and save them on your pc. Some things are kinda obvious that they are perhaps unneeded, like VVmail which requires an additional download. If you are tooling around with a Root Explorer/manager going to town on files, you'd better make sure that you have a solid backup, and have adb nailed down.

And be very careful with the Root Explorer, as when you are changing the r/w status of things on your phone, you can get into trouble if you do not exactly keep track of what you are doing.

Craig