Noob question: Now that I am rooted why would I want to flash a ROM?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by davidbehrns, Aug 20, 2010.

1. davidbehrns

davidbehrns New Member

So I have been hearing a lot about "Bugless Beast" and some others. So far I haven't found a post on what benefits particular ROMs give me.

What does "Bugless Beast" offer over the stock phone that I have now? And is it really "Bugless?" (That is a bold claim)

Are there any benefits to it over other ROMs?

I'm sure it is a matter of opinion on which ROM is the best but, now that I'm rooted I would love to start really making this phone work for a living. Is there a chart somewhere that compares features side by side?

Thanks in advance and I will eagerly await your opinions...Dave :greendroid:
  2. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

No chart, like you said it's personal style, try flashing one and see if you like it, if not try another, that's half the fun:)!
  3. ilikemoneygreen

ilikemoneygreen New Member

You should post this in the hacks area or the Roms area. This area is for the general stuff. And to be honest i havent seen a comparison for roms persay. It takes like 2 min to install a rom on phone so id just test random roms and see which one u like best. Unfortunatly roms seem to act differently pending on the phone... id suggest trying SS, BB, and UD. Those are my three favorite at the moment.
  4. AdamPA1006

AdamPA1006 New Member

Good question. The roms generally are out there to be faster and have higher battery life, and more customization. And dont forget to install a kernel and get Setcpu from the market!
  5. EbE404

EbE404 New Member

A chart would be a difficult thing to maintain, because the offerings and landscape changes almost daily. Different ROMs are going to have different priorities and are going to be build in different ways. The objective may be to streamline the code and offer stability and efficiency, offer additional features and functions, enhance looks and customization or a bit of all three.

In the Custom ROMs section of this site, you will see listings for the different ROMs, and in each subforum, there will be a sticky post about the latest version of each ROM, generally with a list of features and sometimes screenshots.

Opinions about "which is best" will vary widely, and will generally reflect what each user values in a ROM, so while reading reviews is helpful (generally to find out about bugs and known issues), trying the ROM for yourself is really the best way to find out what works for you.

As far as bugs, none of these are really "bug-less" (no knock against Pete there). There are always going to be issues, just as there are with the official builds. If anybody ever tells you software is "finished", they are:

• A. Lying
    • B. Don't understand the question
    • C. Simply not going to work on it anymore

Some bugs are more serious that others, and you might not find the bugs or have them affect anything relevant to what you do, or they might be deal-breakers. Different people have different opinions about what a deal-breaker is for them. Reading the forums will help you find out about those and decide for yourself.

Switching ROMs is pretty easy and generally painless, but before you dive in, it would be highly recommended to invest in backup utilities like Titanium for your apps, and make sure that you are comfortable with the nandroid backup method (hint: that's done in Recovery-ALWAYS backup before flashing a ROM).

Good luck and have fun.
  6. hiphopvenom

hiphopvenom New Member

I personally dig all of cyanogens features and have always ran their rom as it runs the best on my phone..but i always read of ppl having issues with this rom..

With that said..you should try sapphire,i really enoyed this rom but need my volume rocker to switch songs without it going crazy..ither than that i never encountered any issues..they have a great rom and alot of support if you run into issues
  7. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I am rooted and do not use a custom ROM, and I have no interest in loading one.

To me, Custom ROM's sound very much like hybrids were in the Blackberry world. More hype then anything else. I suppose they dress up nicely but how do they perform?

I suppose from what I read some perform better then others, but I'm mystified at the amount of loyalty that these custom ROMs developers get. Some build new builds every other day, and the fans will go crazy over it. Read a little bit into it though and you find certain basic things don't work. But they still say it's the best thing since sliced bread. Others build once every so often and their fans just sit and wait with undying loyalty.

I just prefer to not get involved in it and run Froyo straight out of the box so to speak. Works just fine for me.
  8. tjs

tjs Member

Bugless Beast

Should bb V0.4 be installed over the previous versions of bb, ( V1.1, V0.2, V02.1 ect.) or just installed over whatever your running now?
  9. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

I'm not a "ROM Hopper" like some people, but I started using the Simply Stunning ROMS and I just stick with those. You can overclock and run the wireless hotspot app, for starters... though those are things you can also do by installing a custom kernel (keeping the stock ROM). But there are additional features too... in the case of SS, some custom settings/tweaks are now added to the main system settings menu, for example. Additionally it has been made easy to install custom themes to give your phone a look and style that suits you.
  10. Jasko

Jasko New Member

if i want to switch roms.. like from BB .04 to UD... do i need to do a date/cache wipe? i have made backups....

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  11. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    @Hook. You have a great point. The thing is, some of these ROMs have great potential that people wait to see realized. Cyanogen, in my case, is just such a ROM. I don't use a 10th of the ROM's ability to customize, but I like knowing it's there if I want it. I never got into the ROM hopping some people have. I'm extremely picky in what I'll tolerate and what I enjoy, and I'd offer to grill you a steak to prove it but I don't know if you're a vegetarian and I doubt you'd want to drive all the way out here for it. :) Anyway, what I've found that's made me glad I tried CM 6 can be summed up with two phrases -- built-in equalizer app for any and all audio playback outside of phone calls and a power widget that does more than I think the average user would ever figure out means, let alone needs. All of this with a stock-like feel that appeals to me because I like vanilla android. CyanogenMod gives me near ultimate-control over my Droid and does so without mucking things up or taking away from the easy-use feel I loved when I first got the Droid and started playing. Performance is a subjective thing. I never saw this fantastic speed boot BB was supposed to bring, or the amazing things Chevy put in his Simply Stunning ROM because I never needed to use them, and as many people have pointed out every Droid handles things differently.

In the end it's what do you want and how do you want it?

To the OP, what Hook says and what I just said are things you should consider. Ask yourself what you want out of ROMs, just like you did when you rooted, and move on from there. If you like it, great, but if not you have dozens of choices to try. Don't forget about themes, too, because if all you really want is a tastier look than a different ROM, those are the way to go. If you just want speed, flash in an OC kernel and get SetCPU. Etc. etc. etc.
  12. Schoat333

Schoat333 New Member

Well, its all your preference. I was happy with the stock FRG22 froyo for a long time, but then I decided to try out sapphire 1.0.... I have to say, it performes leaps and bounds ahead of the stock froyo builds, and is far more customizable.

Try them out. If you dont like them, you can always gor back to stock with root. Just make a backup of your current setup first.

Once I loaded sapphire with the theme, I was hooked.

[​IMG]
  13. Kmart95

Kmart95 New Member

If you decide to use a custom rom here's what i would use as a reference to decide what rom to use based on prefrences (this is just my opinion btw)

If you want:
    Speed, go with bugless beast
    Themes, go with lithium mod/jrummy
    Customization/stability, go with cyanogen mod
    Quick new rom version releases, go with ultimate droid
    Stability/support, go with Simply Stunning

Another popular rom that ive never gotten around to trying out is Saphire/cvps but i would assume it would be alot like cyanogen mod (someone please correct me if im wrong)
  14. tameone

tameone New Member

Speed, speed, speed.

Many custom ROMs are faster than stock builds. Some unquestionably so, even without an overclock.

Customization. Both in look through themes, but also in options. Some ROMs add sooo much more functionality.

Stability. While no ROM is totally issue free, I can't remember the last time I had an app FC or anything..

I'm never going back.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  15. Jasko

Jasko New Member

Anyone? ^

Also, where can I get Sapphire from?
  16. furbearingmammal

Yes. 3x times each system and data cache.

How successful have you been with a forum search? Not trying to be mean, just curious if it's showing up at all.
  17. Jasko

Jasko New Member

Not at all, thanks though.
  18. furbearingmammal

Search tags for this page

why would you want to flash the rom