1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

noob question about rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by babbock, Aug 7, 2010.

1. babbock

babbock New Member

I dont understand why it matters whether your running 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2, if you want to install a custom rom. Once you have SBrecovery installed, cant you install any rom regardless of what your currently running?
  2. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Well yeah, but how you go about doing getting a custom recovery on your phone is a different process depending on which version you are running. This is what a lot of the guides go on about, and why they are different. Rooting 2.0 is a different process than rooting 2.2 .

But once you get a custom recovery on your phone, it doesn't matter what version you are running. You can boot from 2.0 > 2.2 or you can go back to 2.0 from Froyo for whatever reason you deemed fit.
  3. babbock

babbock New Member

that sort of makes sense. When I went from 2.0 to root 2.1, i am pretty sure I just used the stock recovery. However going to 2.2 I loaded sbrecovery. So now that I have SPrecovery(or however its spelled). I should be able to go back and forth w/o any problems(might get some instability if I dont wipe the cache/data folders but beyond that).

Also, with regards to SBrecovery, what is the select rom from SD card for? Does that just allow you to load a rom that isnt update.zip, or does it boot to it w/o installing it, kind of how a linux liveCD works?
  4. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately haha) you can't boot off of your SD card. So no dual booting, or booting a ROM off of the SD card. The stock SD card I believe is a class 2. It would be a sad experience to load and use an OS using a class 2 SD card. Some apps cry when they are on the SD card using Apps2SD.

There are three ways to install things in SPRecovery (well that I can think of at least). The most common now, is update.zip . Almost all ROMs/themes/kernels/etc that are compatible with SPRecovery use this method at this point.

Nandroid - This method was quite popular for a while, but has died off recently. This is installed just as you would restore a backup you had made.

Also there were rom.tgz's - this was rather rare. These were more along the lines of update.zip , but they allowed you to pick and choose what to install, depending on the script that came with it. The problem with these, was that it took the ROM dev a while to write the script to give all the options, so it never really took off.

Just pay attention to the instructions of whatever you are downloading. The maker usually tells you how to install it. As I said, most are update.zips at this point, and usually are named something along those lines to reflect it (CupfulloflolROMv1337-update.zip type thing).
  5. babbock

babbock New Member

thanks. That clears up a lot. I was a little confused on all the 2.2 posts where people were saying you have to go back to x or whatnot.