Noob Question (About Rooting)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Nadious, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Nadious

Nadious New Member

Hey everyone.

I'm sure everyone here is sick to death about people asking about rooting a phone. I've done a lot of google searching this morning and spent a great deal of time looking around, but I'm not able to find exactly what I'm looking for.

First off, I'm a brand new Droid user. I upgraded from a BB Storm I, to a Motorola Droid X the day it was released. I have to say that I'm VERY pleased with the phone. It has taken a little while to get used to (as with anything), but I've finally got it set the way I want it setup and it is running great (LOVE LauncherPro, btw!).

So, this morning... I see one of the many utilities that have come and gone that allows you to easily root your phone with the click of the button. (Forgot the name... it is the one on the main page, currently.) I know that 2.2 is coming and I'm eagerly awaiting it, as I've heard a lot of great feedback about it. So, here are a few of the questions I'm looking for:

1. I've read that when you root your phone, you won't receive notification that there is an OTA update. Can you still install the 2.2 update and if so, how does you go about doing it? I wouldn't think that rooting your phone would keep your from receiving updates, but I wanna be sure.

2. Is there an option to UNROOT your phone with this method? I know some of the utilities that I have seen allow you to do this, but I didn't think this one did.

3. If I root the phone, is there any chance that it will interfere with any of 2.2 functionality / features?

4. For a new user like me, is there really any reason TO root a phone, since I'm so new to Droid? I know you can access to the core of the phone, but unless I have specific goals in mind (which I really don't... outside of just the wifi tethering) is better off to NOT root?

I know I've heard that it will be harder to root the phone once 2.2 is on the device. The biggest appeal that I have for wanting to root it is using the wifi tethering option. I can tether now using PDAnet's program, but being able to do so wifi would be fantastic.

I apologize for all the noob questions. I'm just not familiar enough with Droid yet to know exactly what it does. I went through the same thing in the BB scene when I was trying to get my Storm to be a half-decent phone. After some research and effort, I began to learn how to run hybrids and leaked OS platforms on there, but I was comfortable enough with it to know if I messed something up, I could easily get it back to stock.

Not so sure on this one. :)

I appreciate everyone's time.
  2. ivan98gst

ivan98gst New Member

Im on the same boat!
  3. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Please use the search button. There is more than enough info out there on all these questions...
  4. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

1. I don't know what all has been accomplished on the Droid X so far, being a D1 user myself, however.. On the D1, 2.2 roms have already been leaked + built, customized, whatever you want to call it. Meaning there really is no point to getting the OTA update. (You can even flash a STOCK 2.2 rom that's been leaked.) I don't think you would still get the OTA notification, and even if you did, if you upgraded OTA you would lose root.
    2. I've seen somewhere that you CAN use DMupdater to unroot just as simply as you can to root, however, I wouldn't recommend this method. While it's good if you already know what you're doing to your phone, if you're completely new to the scene, you're missing out on a HUGE part by having all of it done automatically. If you want to be lazy (not saying you are), then by all means go for it. But I personally would suggest taking the time to do it manually and learn a little bit more about your phone.
    3. As I covered in #1, 2.2 roms have already been leaked, fully functioning and all. The only thing they are missing is the bloatware from VZW, which I don't think you want anyway.
    4. It's never too soon to root! If you feel comfortable enough, then go for it! You'll learn a lot more about your phone by doing it (if you take the time and pay attention), and you'll discover things you probably didn't know you could do, like theme-ing and overclocking.

I hope this helps. Like I said, this information is coming for a Droid user, not a Droid X, so it may not be 100% correct.
  5. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

for what you want you dont need really need to root except for wifi tethering but you can always use wired tethering with pda net or you can wait for 2.2 to release and that has wired and bluetooth tethering
  6. Nadious

Nadious New Member

That's a funny one: 'take time to use the search button.'

Make you should take time to actually read the first few lines of my post where it says that I've spent a great deal of time looking around (here) and google searching as well. I might have (just maybe... maybe in a long shot) used the search button during this process.... *sigh* :icon_rolleyes:

ANYWAYS...

Deaf, Tigger, I appreciate the helpful feedback. That's some great points to look and I did not know that Froyo had the ability to do wifi tethering. Every thing I've looked at has just the basics of what Froyo will do:

- Flash
    - Better Exchange support
    - Better performance
    - Much more

It's that 'much more' that lets me discover things like the wifi tethering that I didn't know was there, so that's a great thing to know. I have to say that I'm probably not comfortable with the phone yet to really know what I'm doing... maybe after a little time of delving deep into the forums here (and *gasp*.... I might just use the search button! IMAGINE THAT!?!??!?!) I may learn a little more to take a stab at rooting in the future. But, for now... I think I'll wait and just get the 2.2 update when it it released.

Again, thanks.
  7. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

No problem. Feel free to pm with any questions you might have regarding rooting, when you decide to take that step. dancedroid
  8. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

there is no wifi tethering with froyo just wired and bluetooth (well i guess bluetooth could be wireless) but i dont understand the big deal with wireless the phone dies so quick i think its better with wired tethering
  9. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

Now pretend you have 2 laptops wanting internet access at the same time, plus a USB cord with you.. See the big deal now? You can only tether one at a time with wired, OR, you could run the wireless and charge at the same time... giving access to multiple devices.

EDIT: I suppose it would also be possible to turn one laptop in to a hotspot through wired, but might as well just use the phone.. right?
  10. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

i guess but IMO the internet is too slow for more than one thing its even too slow for me to use on my pc so i see no point in tethering in the firest place except for emergencies to do something simple real quick

but everyone has their opinions and needs
  11. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

o_O
    too slow? I average 2 mbs while wirelessly tethering..
  12. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member

well compared to my 30 Mbit internet thats slow but this argument is pretty pointless

like i said everyone has their opinions
  13. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Okay, if I read your OP correctly, you have the X correct?? If so most of the "rooting" questions are pointless. To my knowledge the bootloader on the X is still locked out. In order to flash a custom rom (Froyo 2.2) you have to have access to the bootloader. I believe some had been able to overclock the processor and do wifi tethering.

We have a whole section here on DF that is for the X users. I would suggest you look around there for advice on what you can and can't do yet on the X.
  14. JSchroeder80

JSchroeder80 New Member

I've been doing research - using search features and whatnot - my problem is that I went back to 2.0.1 only to find out that DMUpdater is unavailable. Would love some advice (besides for keep searching).
  15. tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur New Member