1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

noob here.

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by cool username, Mar 8, 2010.

1. cool username

cool username New Member

i started this thread as a reply in the in droidmod subsection but realized its more of a general question that i want to leave for anyone to answer...

i have my phone rooted with droidmod 1.0. i'm a complete noob, i just did it because it was easy and i knew i could endlessly customize my phone. however now that i've done it, i don't really know what to do now. i use home++ and the live wallpapers don't work on it... which i actually don't care about anyways. but what else can i do? what are these endless possibilities? besides overclocking, my phone is fast enough for me. and i don't really understand how roms work either... if i want to use a different rom, would i just put it on my phone in addition to the droid mod, or do i delete the droid mod??

sorry if this is a dumb question/thread but i'm pretty confused, lol.. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

3. cool username

cool username New Member

umm...thanks...

i think i'm just gonna un-root. unless someone can actually help me. at least can someone answer the question about roms, do i have to get rid of my droid mod to use a different rom?
  4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I've not used Droid mod but my sense is that once you are rooted you have the flexibility to switch/change roms as often as you wish.

Mike
  5. christim

christim DF Super Moderator

The path is pretty much the same

1) root
    2) install sprecovery
    3) install rom

dmupdater, by droidmod, does all 3 steps automatically for you. Other methods, such as those in my signature file walk you through it manually.

You are rooted now and you have sprecovery. You boot into sprecovery by hitting the power on button and the X key of the slide out keyboard at the same time, when the phone is off.

The 2nd link in my sig lets you install SG5.0 and other instructions elsewhere that you can follow will let you install bugless beast, simply stunning, 2.1 roms, etc.

However, if your stock phone was fast enough for you and you had everything you wanted then stock might be the better path for you. Being able to wifi-tether and overclocking is the cat's meow for some, but not for others.

I think a lot of those who rooted their phones it probably was because they could and because they like to tinker with things. They wanted to make it faster and do more, and have succeeded at doing so. You can customize how your phone looks (themes section of the forum) and fine tune it to your liking by swapping out kernels and adjusting your cpu speed.

On the question of roms: When you flash one rom it replaces the other. So, for example, if you flashed the rom in the instructions in my sig then and you didn't wipe data nor cache, and you flashed the rom according to the steps, then you'd have it installed without losing any of your apps, settings, data, etc.

If in doubt...ask away!
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2010