1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Noob here, can you root after roots?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Adam Vargas, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Adam Vargas

Adam Vargas New Member

Somebody rooted my droid to 2.1 (ESE53). could I simply root forward to 2.1 (ESE81) by using the SPRecovery_ESE81 in the RSD Lite? even though I'm starting the root from 2.1 (ESE53)?

Question 2 : When is it necessary to wipe all data from the phone? Because in my condition, my phone is flashed specially for Metro PCS. so i have to avoid anything that would have to make me reactivate it.
  2. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Once you are rooted you are rooted. You would just flash different roms.

In my opinion, whenever you flash a new rom you should always backup and wipe cache. That way you are applying a new rom on a clean slate.
  3. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I think you're very confused about what rooting is. "Rooting" is the process of obtaining administrator-level access to the phone, ie, the ability to install system software that motorola didn't approve.

What I think you mean is just "installing". you installed a version of 2.1 and you want to install a newer version. If you install using RSDLite, that will completely wipe out your phone - system and data. I don't know how the phone is set up with MetroPCS, but reactivation should not be required unless you are upgrading the "baseband" (cell radio) firmware.

Assuming you have SPRecovery installed, you SHOULD just be able to use the "update.zip method" of installing a newer version of software - meaning that you drop an update.zip file on your SD card, reboot into the recovery console, and install that way (make a backup first!). No need to use RSDLite anymore now that you have SPRecovery installed.
Search tags for this page

can you root blackberry curve