Noob help sorry ;(

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by bryanbmx, Apr 21, 2010.

1. bryanbmx

bryanbmx New Member

I'm completely new to the modding of phones and ev erything was wandering if someone could help me out a bit tell me where and what programs I should get to change my home interface, clocks , icons an such maybe just a quick tutorial or something lol thanks n sorry for beong a noob.
  2. gardobus

gardobus New Member

Well what exactly do you want to change?

You can start off by trying Home Replacements. Some of the more popular ones include Home++, HelixLauncher1, HelixLauncher2, Panda Home, and there are other pay ones like GDE or OpenHome. These will change the number of screens you have, the way the tab at the bottom behaves, etc. They are all different so try them out. I prefer HelixLauncher1 or 2.

For clocks, I imagine you mean the big flip clocks and whatnot. For this I recommend Beautiful Widgets. Unfortunately it isn't free but it is well worth the money. It comes with a large and small version of the clock/weather widget. You can skin it with any of several skins, make it transparent, etc. It's a great app/widget.

For icons, you'll need BetterCut (also not free). It lets you replace icons on your homescreens with different images/icons. You can find free icon packs in the market by searching for "icon pack" but you will still need BetterCut to apply them.

Hope this helps. For more in depth help on these apps, try searching the forum. I'm sure each one has its own thread by now.
  3. bryanbmx

bryanbmx New Member

Awesome that helps a lot. What home replacement might you recommend? Or they all pretty much the same??
  4. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

I would suggest the helixlauncher.

It works much more smoothly than the other options.
  5. gardobus

gardobus New Member

Same here. HelixLauncher1 is the fastest/smoothest and HelixLauncher2 is nice if your phone will run it smoothly.
  6. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Each home replacement has different aspects and features. One thing they seem to have in common is adding more screens. You can always try each. There's an app called Home Switcher (free) which allows you to change between them (or change the default for the Home button) quite easily. I've tried Panda, GDE, Home++, SweetrHome and DxTop. The one I'm using now is Helix (Launcher 2). Some are free and others cost a few dollars.

One big thing to remember....you have a 24-hour window to purchase an app and then uninstall it for a full refund. That way if you don't like something, you're not out any money.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  7. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

Just a note on the refund policy, you can only refund each app once and if you buy it again you are struck with it.
  8. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

Right, that's to prevent you from buying an app with the idea you'll just uninstall it when you're through with it and buy it again if you need it again.
  9. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

For sure. :p
  10. bryanbmx

bryanbmx New Member

Also my phone seems to be running a bit slow. I have astro and advance task killer...couple games but not much is running on my phone now
  11. bryanbmx

bryanbmx New Member

Also where can I get hexilauncher to I have the moto droid. Best option?? I'm sure there is a thread for it but still a little confusing (searching site an knowing what's what)
  12. gardobus

gardobus New Member

Just go to the market and search for "helix". You should see HelixLauncher1 and HelixLauncher2
  13. bryanbmx

bryanbmx New Member

Yeah I found helix and MM shortly after posting that an a guide to root my droid. Thanks for the help. ;)