noob having issues

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by '06Siguy, Nov 10, 2010.

1. '06Siguy

'06Siguy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have a D1 on froyo build FRG22D. This is a phone I bought on ebay several months ago. It has worked fine. Until the froyo update that is. Ever since the 2.2 installed on this phone it has been dropping calls. I have been in contact with verizon and they originally said the 2.2 update only completed 83% and I would have to bring it in to a store so they could force the update. I didn't want to do that, but did it anyways. After they got to play with it for a few hours, they told me the phone would not update and was locked or something like that. They told me the phone was defective and they would send me a new phone. a few days go by and no new phone. Call verizon and they say they can't send a new phone because I didn't get this one from them. :icon_evil: I just want this phone to stop dropping calls and it didn't do it until froyo come out. My question is, if I root the phone and install a new rom, do you think it would solve my issues? I'm totally new to rooting phones, but I've been reading up on it, because I think it might solve my problems. What do you guys think? Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long read.

2. shmoo

shmoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It you root your phone you can flash a new basebaand and that might help resolve your dropped calls problem. Flashing a new ROM is not necessary but is always fun.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

3. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Agreed! The latest baseband was included in the update though so that wont make a difference. Along with a TON of custom ROMs and themes, you'll also find kernels to flash as well. A kernel would be my first suggestion to try. And you can never do too much research on rooting. There are some great guides on exactly what to do and how to do it on here! We're here to help too!
    Btw, :welcome: to Droid Forums!!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

4. shmoo

shmoo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I only suggested flashing the baseband because VZW said that the update may not have finished all the way? Peculiar to think about you stranger things have happened

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

5. Droid DOES!!

Ratings:
    +35
    True! OP: under Settings > About Phone, does your baseband say 43?
    Sadly, buying from eBay, you have no warranty so that's why Verizon couldn't replace it.

6. '06Siguy

'06Siguy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks for the input. I will keep researching before I do anything. I just wanted to see what the gurus thought. So a new kernal is what you'd recommend? I have a feeling I'm gonna be spending a lot of time here reading.

7. '06Siguy

'06Siguy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, it says C_01.43.01P

:edit: I'll have to check tonight. The phone having issues is my GF's phone. It's the same phone, but not the one I just checked.

8. Droid DOES!!

Ratings:
    +35
    Yes sir! You'd really be surprised how much the kernel affects (I was)! The more reading you do, the better! I still consider myself a noob actually...we all learn something new everyday! The mods and rescue squad here are VERY smart as well should you encounter any issues along the way so never be afraid to ask questions or for help (why we're here).

9. Droid DOES!!

Ratings:
    +35
    Gotcha. That's the correct baseband though.

10. '06Siguy

'06Siguy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a text from her, it is the same baseband as mine.

11. '06Siguy

'06Siguy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where would I find a new kernal? Which one should I install? Sorry for the noob questions.

12. Droid DOES!!

Ratings:
    +35
    They're in the Droid Hacks section. Alot of the devs who create the kernels are also ROM developers so they're kernels are in they're section with their ROMs. As far as which one to go with, it depends on her phone because each phone runs different with different ones. You'll need to experiment with different ones to find one that works best (flashing process becomes second nature). But always, I repeat, ALWAYS make a backup first before you flash anything.