1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Noob but wanting to learn

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by vos0143, Jul 6, 2010.

1. vos0143

vos0143 New Member

I have searched many forums and cant get a straight answer......

I have a Droid with 2.1 update 1, ese81 with no root. How can I root and still keep my exchange server settings? I have tried the tutorial on this site and the links are broken for the initial update.zip and I cant find them anywhere. I know that the official update is supposed to come out in a seek but I am a control freak want the control of downloading my own ROM's. I just dont want to lose any information from my non-root setup.
  2. durrell

durrell New Member

If you go from 2.1 non-root to 2.1 root you MIGHT be able to keep your settings. I've never tried it with the new method of flashing SPrecovery and then rooting. Most ROMs require you to wipe data and cache. Any upgrade from one version to another (such as 2.1 to 2.2) is going to require it.

Why not just write your server settings down?
  3. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Seconded. You can probably flash the SBF file that includes only the recovery image, and from there install the su binary and have root access. But once you have root, you'll probably want to install a ROM, in which case, you will likely need to wipe your data anyway. Your best bet is to just assume there will be data loss and prepare for it.
  4. durrell

durrell New Member

That's the best advice anyone can give. I guarantee at some point or another you're going to lose data if you get into changing ROMs. That's just the nature of the beast.
  5. vos0143

vos0143 New Member

My exchange settings are through my employer and it is a pain to track him down to re-enter the settings. but, as you guys have said...nature of the beast.