Noob Alert: Question!

Deadwood

Reaction score
What equip, apps, (other than my Moto Droid) do I need 'exactly' to play mp3's thru my car stereo ?
Remember I'm a noob to all this stuff!!
*be gentle*

Thanks!

Graffin

Reaction score
If your stereo has a aux input, then all you need is an audio to audio cable to plug into your stereo.

If not, then all you need is an FM transmitter, you can find them in the MP3 player section at just about any retailer. I recommend one that is powered by a cigarette lighter rather than one that is battery powered, they tend to have a stronger signal.

You'll have to control the music from your Droid, but you can listen to whatever you like on the car stereo.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
couple options...
... blue tooth receiver (best buy, any electronics store etc. sends signal from phone using bluetooth and then to stereo as FM)
... fm tuner... with a standard 3.5mm headphone jack. (ie. belkin.... like the iTrips for ipods/iphones) no usb required... cigarette lighter versions are best... battery ones aren't as strong of a signal.
... couple other people have used a USB connection to their stereos (depends on what head unit you have... if you've got one that accepts the usb this is a viable option... also generally these allow you to control your playlists from the head unit in the car)
.... if you've got an AUX input on your stereo a male/male plug would work.

nunka

Reaction score
To answer the other part of your question: you don't need to download any apps to play music. As long as you've got some equipment that connects your droid to your car's stereo, the standard music app (or any music playing app, for that matter) will send the audio to your stereo.

zasran

Reaction score
Note that USB only makes it possible to play audio you have stored in the phone, NOT streaming audio like pandora, last.fm, phone calls etc.

drew

Reaction score
I use a cassette player adapter.. its like 8 bucks. Works great.

I remember these from when I had an old Sony Discman. Worked great in my Renault Alliance. The tape heads wear out pretty easily and I used to have to replace it every 6 months or so.

That said, driving while droiding can be hazardous to ones health. Just the three steps to take to make a phone call can be dangerous I'm finding (let alone scrolling through music playlists).

To each their own :)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What equip, apps, (other than my Moto Droid) do I need 'exactly' to play mp3's thru my car stereo ?
Depends on your car's head unit. It might help to post its model or the make and model of your car if it's a factory system.

If your head unit has USB or can interface via BT those are good ways to go.

If you have an aux port that works well.

If not, check into aux port adapters/interfaces for your head unit.

I'd leave FM transmitters as a last option -- especially if you live an a major city. If you can't find a way around using one then carefully look over reviews as you'll want the best of what's out there. Don't assume that expensive means good. I've owned a really good Scosche transmitter that didn't cost anything and I've owned expensive name brand transmitters that were worthless.

Last edited: