Noob about to root: BB vs 84BClean?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by virtueoftheabsurd, Jun 30, 2010.

1. virtueoftheabsurd

virtueoftheabsurd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've been a lurker on this forum for some time. I'm a techie and linux user, but the only things I know about my Droid are what I've read on various forums. I'm planning to root my Droid this coming week, and was wondering whether you recommend I start with the clean froyo rom or with BB .4. Here's why I'm rooting:

• As a linux user, su privileges make me feel godlike
    • I think I should do it before the 2.2 OTA release makes rooting more difficult
    • My battery life on stock 2.1 is eaten up by Maps and Browser, so I'm hoping to prolong life with low-voltage kernels and SetCPU profiles
    • I'm looking forward to the Froyo goodies (and maybe the BB ones too?)
    • WIFI tethering will make my iPhone-using friends so jealous
    Any suggestions? If I start with Clean, can I later install BB using the new Updater? Is Clean more stable (WFI, camera, etc) than BB .4 (labeled "Beta")?

Thanks!

2. jonnybgewd

jonnybgewd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Clean or stock froyo would help battery life for sure. ANd yes you can easily switch between the two, even without wiping date/cashe. And BB has all the features i love and totally non intrusive. My prefrence is for sure BB, but try both for a couple days.

3. peteralfonso

peteralfonso Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    BB, dont even bother with the stock stuff, I just posted that for devs to have a starting base without kanging my ROM.

4. virtueoftheabsurd

virtueoftheabsurd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to playing around with these. And thanks, Pete, for all your hard work. Once this is all up and running, I'll definitely be buying you a beer.