Non OEM Chargers

silvere2

Reaction score
Just bought two car chargers from ebay, and they both work to perfection. Absolutely no problems with them, and I spent less than $5 shipped for both of them (yes, two chargers for like 4.35). :icon_ banana:

Modulus

Reaction score
I just got a Belkin Dual Auto Charger for iPhone and iPod Power Adapter so that I could charge the Droid on the QuickCharge Port
and run this Blackberry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway on the other port.

As many have said, the important thing is to get a 1000 mAh charger.
The OEM Charger is 5.1 V and 850 mAh, that's 4.335 W.. since we shouldn't really be changing supply voltages and 5 V is the USB standard, we need to supply at least 867 mAh. Since those probably don't exist, just grab the 1000 mAh supply and call it a day. Of course, that will be capable of supply 5 W, but Droid won't draw that much.

JoeFresco

Reaction score
Just bought two car chargers from ebay, and they both work to perfection. Absolutely no problems with them, and I spent less than $5 shipped for both of them (yes, two chargers for like 4.35).

Link? Were they USB chargers or microUSB chargers?

JoeFresco

Reaction score

silvere2

Reaction score

abensky

Reaction score
BragainCell usb/mirro cables don't charge

I purchased a pair of these cables from Amazon/BargainCell Amazon.com: GTMax Sync Transfer USB Data Cable for Verizon Motorola Droid A855 Cell Phone: Cell Phones & Service and they work only to sync over usb and do not charge the Droid. In fact they put the Droid in a state where the original cable wouldn't even charging it (power-cycling cleared it up).

IMO it is extremely misleading to advertise a usb cable for the Droid that only provides half the functionality. What's worse is the price of these is $.99 each with shipping of around $5, so I can't even get most of my money back.

And why can't all micro-usb cables be made the same/properly? There are only so many pin positions on each end and it must be well defined how they connect between the full size USB connector and the micro-connector. Why would anyone make a cable that doesn't connect all the pins?

Leonard Wong

Reaction score
So I ordered 3 High Speed Wall Power to USB Female Converter 1A. 2 cause the touch screen to press random buttons when charging and 1 seems to work without issue. The problematic chargers will charge my (soon to be inactive) iPhone and my wife's BB Tour. The Apple iPhone charger and BB Tour works fine to charge my Droid.

Somewhat disappointed in my 33% failure rate in Monoprice chargers, but I guess you get what you pay for. I'll write to monoprice and see if they can make good on it.

emsrph

Reaction score
May be coincidence but just received the low cost Monoprice wall charger and used it to charge my Droid. Charged it up before bed and battery was at 10% in the morning. The usage meter for the 8 hours had two major items- Phone Idle 55% and Cell Standby 40%. Did this cheap charger toast my battery?

ironwolf1

Reaction score
monoprice has the best, I got a 6' usb male to micro usb cable for $1 and 3.5mm for $1 and a usb car adapter for less then $2, but there don't spend else where

noisufnoc

Reaction score
I was just surfing DealExtreme, but I'm going to check out Monoprice now. Thanks for the tips guys.