Non Modular Moto X Coming in 2017?!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The one thing that really made the 2016 Moto Z stand out was the modular design. While other flagship devices may have attempted the modular design Lenovo was the only OEM to actually get it right. The Moto mods effortlessly and magnetically attached themselves to the phone. This was the only user friendly modular design on the market. The phone itself was also pretty amazing with its super sleek design and 21mp camera. With Moto Z users having invested so much money on the various Moto Mods the hope was that Lenovo would continue with the modular design so that these Mods could be used on upcoming devices. This may not be the case.

We have some renders of the upcoming 2017 version of the Moto X based on the factory CADs, and it does not appear to have the magnetic pogo pins that we saw on the 2016 version. According to these photos the device will also come with Micro USB instead of USB Type-C which seems very questionable for a 2017 flagship device. One good note is that the design does show a 3.5mm headphone jack. We have a pretty large bezel, and a smaller 5.2" display. Maybe this will be the midranger for 2017 while the Moto Z remains to be the flagship.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I thought there was no Moto X in 2016? The Moto Z is the phone with Moto Mod capabilities.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
No problem, just checking. I was waiting for a 2016 Moto X and it never arrived. So I am excited about the possibility of a Moto X in 2017. They have all been great phones and I really hope to see the X line continue.

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
No problem, just checking. I was waiting for a 2016 Moto X and it never arrived. So I am excited about the possibility of a Moto X in 2017. They have all been great phones and I really hope to see the X line continue.

I also hope that going forward, the mods we are buying for our '16 Moto Z will still be useful for subsequent phones in the Moto Z line. I'll probably get a mod from my son tomorrow for my birthday. I liked my Moto x a lot and also am glad they're continuing that line also

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I also hope that going forward, the mods we are buying for our '16 Moto Z will still be useful for subsequent phones in the Moto Z line. I'll probably get a mod from my son tomorrow for my birthday. I liked my Moto x a lot and also am glad they're continuing that line also

I hope so too & I don't even have a Z anymore. But, with the rumor that LG is doing away with their modular "friends" on the next phone in their G line, I want someone to stick to their word on backwards compatibility.

I think where Moto & retailers were smart was that they offered tons of promotions to get a free mod with the phone or deep discounts on a second mod when you bought one.

I didn't see LG doing much of that. Moto seems to have found better partners as well though.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
This is purely speculation on my part, not based on any "news" articles. I think we will see a Moto X 2017 that is non modular, for the folks that like Moto Maker / pure Android / custom designed phones and don't want mods. Then we will also see a new edition to the Z Series. Like the Z2 or whatever they name it. It will be backwards compatible with all the Moto Mods we own now with some enhanced specs, new Moto App, new colors maybe, and new Mods introduced. Just a guess, but they don't want to alienate all the current Moto Z owners and there are folks waiting for a non modular Moto X.

Last edited: