Non-Computer Web Traffic in US Reveals Android Wins in Smartphones; Apple in Tablets

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
comscore511.jpg

A new comScore metric for non-computer web traffic in the month of May has just been released. The pic above shows off the details, and indicates that in web traffic from tablets in the United States, Apple is dominating, unsurprisingly. However, for smartphone web traffic in the U.S., Android comes out on top. For smartphones, Android utilized 35.6% of web traffic, and Apple utilized 23.5%. For the rest of the countries measured, except for Argentina and India, it was the other way around. This is owing to the fact that the iPhone has been available on more carriers internationally for sometime. It'll be interesting to see how much this flip-flops in May of next year.

Source: Android.net via SlashGear and comScore

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder if this is just 3G/cellular traffic or if it includes wifi?

Interesting, but hard to believe IPad has that much more traffic than Android tablets in the US, but maybe not if wifi is excluded since I wouldn't pay for a data plan for a tablet.

Immolate

Reaction score
We welcome our Argentinian and Indian brothers and sisters to the ranks of non-sheeple. Hail and well met!

Asperity

Reaction score

Interesting, but hard to believe IPad has that much more traffic than Android tablets in the US, but maybe not if wifi is excluded since I wouldn't pay for a data plan for a tablet.

Click the original comScore article...

Cooly1911

Reaction score
The big idea pushing the 4g is streaming. Such as netflix, if Verizon limits data plans, it will kill that idea. We all know how Verizon rapes ya for going over your minutes! I can just imagine the fees if you go over you data allowance.
If Verizon changes my plan, I, and the 4 phones on my plan, will be leaving Verizon!!!!!! There are way to many other cell companies out there! I have been a loyal customer since 94, and have brought a lot of friends and family to Verizon. Looking back, Verizon charges for EVERYTHING!!! THERE ARE NO PERKS OR FREEBIES, EVERYTHING! Unlimited data for $30 isn't terrible, and I use the hell out of mine!
Verizon is what it is today because of loyal customers!! It's time they gave us a Damn break. They should leave the data unlimited, if they don't, I should not be the only customer bailing out!

Snow02

Reaction score

It's all traffic. When you connect to a site, they can tell what device you're using. It has nothing to do with the data connection method.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
if you see the comsource article and look at the last set of data, you'll see that 47% of iphone users access via wifi while not even 22% of android users access from wifi.

I have my own theories based on those numbers, but none of which make any sense hahaha....

I mean its not a money thing since most phones cost the same. Its not an intelligence thing since quite a few tech-dumb people use either platform. W/e. I am on wifi as much as possible because 3G is just terrible for video/photo/music sharing

Snow02

Reaction score
Hah. It's that most iphone users are on att, and att's 3G coverage just can't compare to verizon's. Thus, more iphone users use wifi, because they have to.

Rindaen

Reaction score
Hah. It's that most iphone users are on att, and att's 3G coverage just can't compare to verizon's. Thus, more iphone users use wifi, because they have to.

Maybe AT&T has bad service in your area but in Georgia. The AT&T 3G network is faster than Verizon and reliable.

It Would make more sense that since the majority of iPhone users are on AT&T that a large portion of those have a teired data plan, Thus these users use WiFi as much as possible.

rbw62

Reaction score
That's a joke about ATT in Ga. I know lots of friends who got sucked in to the ATT hype, they are constantly dropping calls, and losing service. I have done speed tests and Verizon is twice the speed. You need to go online and research 4G and LTE.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums