Nokia's Stephen Elop Claims Dual-Core and Quad-Core Phones Just a Waste of Battery

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Looks like nokia boarded the same titanic as rim and both are grabbing on to the last straws.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Google is the only company that hasn't opened their mouth about any other companies. From what I've seen at least. Just today I read an article about an apple designer talking senseless. Now this. Rim CEO. Microsoft CEO has been on it all year long.

No class whatsoever.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Is it me or am I the only one who sees the benefits of multi cores and multi tasking?

Don't get me wrong, I love awesome hardware. The thing is that when it is put in a portable device it needs to be practical and that's because of a limited power source. My current feel is that most people, including me, do not need 4 cores. That could all change tomorrow. If I start using my device as a PC,DVR,GPS,video conferencing device all at once then yes, it makes sense. But for today, for me a dual core is plenty. Once again, I take it back if the multicores really can save power.

It's not that I'm not excited over the future of tech. I'm just questioning the current necessity for quad core processors for most users.

Big Dawg 23

Reaction score
Not all Dual and soon Quad Core are necessirly a battery waster. What is his arguement with the Droid Razr Maxx? They have a normal size 4.3" with a large battery in it. Some one should tell him his Lumia 900 WP7 LTE phone coming out soon on AT&T is Fugly. What will he say when the battery life with LTE engaged is right with Android and iPhone 4S.

sb1831

Reaction score
Not all Dual and soon Quad Core are necessirly a battery waster. What is his arguement with the Droid Razr Maxx? They have a normal size 4.3" with a large battery in it. Some one should tell him his Lumia 900 WP7 LTE phone coming out soon on AT&T is Fugly. What will he say when the battery life with LTE engaged is right with Android and iPhone 4S.

the RAZR MAXX as an argument? A phone with nearly double the typical battery size? I'd say if that is the counter to his statement he's probably right

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
the RAZR MAXX as an argument? A phone with nearly double the typical battery size? I'd say if that is the counter to his statement he's probably right

Not necessarily....cuz Elop is just mentioning dual and quad core...not LTE, not bigger screens, not bigger HD screens, etc. Even the clock speed of the cpu isnt factored in by him. The RAZR Maxx uses LTE and has a 4.3" screen. I think at this point in time LTE is a bigger battery drain than dual and quad core chips.

All we have to do is compare a phone with dual core with one with single core, only use 3G, hopefully they have the same size batteries and same cpu speeds, same nm (45nm, 40nm, etc) to get an idea if they are a waste of battery. Someone on this forum did a battery test with the Droid X1 vs. the RAZR and the RAZR held its own, was even a lil better in some cases. Put the RAZR Maxx at 1Ghz for a even better comparison vs. a single core phone.

I think Elop is making the same mistake many ppl make with dual and quad core chips.....thinking speed is the biggest advantage. IMO better multi tasking is the biggest advantage. Better multi tasking with hopefully less battery drain.

Last edited: