Nokia Releases Z Launcher Beta To The Play Store

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you are looking for a new homescreen replacement app to give your device a whole new look and feel Nokia has a new launcher that they think you will like. Nokia has released their all new Z Launcher which can be found on the Nokia N1, once it is released, for just about every Android device. The Z launcher is an intelligent launcher which is designed to assist you by making contacts, software, and suggestions available right when you need them. It does so by learning from you as you use your device. The launcher is otherwise pretty bare bones without any clutter. Head to the Play Link below for the download.

via Play Store

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm trying this now. I can't figure out how to turn off Data Insight. I see it in the settings of the Launcher and there is no off button.

In the tutorial it says there is a way to disable it. It sends information from your phone to Nokia "for improving the app's funtionality".

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Alrighty then. I uninstalled this Launcher.

From their privacy page:

" Do we share that information?
As explained in more detail in our privacy policy, we may share your personal data: * With your consent; * With Nokia companies and authorized third-parties, who process personal data on our behalf; * Where there is legal requirement to do so."

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
You had me at "I see no off button".

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
I'm a bit confused about what Microsoft took from Nokia. Did they purchase the Lumia brand and patents? Does this leave Nokia with the ability to create Android phones under a different name, now?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Windows Phones will no longer be Nokia branded, but Microsoft branded. Android phones and tablets can stay branded under Nokia. For example, "Microsoft Lumia 880" (phone) or "Nokia N1" (Android tablet).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Glad Ollie was brave enough to give it a try before I was. Kind of an interesting concept, but not at the expense of my data.

All my data are belong to Google and Facebook! Get in line Nokia!

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
I wonder if the data collection could be blocked by Cyanogenmod's built in Privacy Guard.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm all for data analytics to help improve app functionality. These folks are pulling data from the most personal of apps and storing it on their servers "until they are done with it".

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I gave it a run for a couple days too. I kinda like the idea that it constantly moves the most often used tools to the front screen however I use more than will fit in that one page list, so it causes often used items to drop out of sight.

The ability to call up a list of apps/features/documents/calls with the swipe of the finger in the key letter(s)/number(s) is neat. I did also like that feature.

All in all it's nice but I've already uninstalled it. I may give in another run in a couple days but I'm still having too much fun exploring.;)

JessMegan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone
At the very least, this is a positive indicator that Nokia still wants to differentiate itself. Had they gone Android 4 years ago like we all wish, this might be the result...! But still I'm curious if anyone of you guys spot one of the countries from this list that its not available in Play Store for? India, Malaysia and Sri Lanka? I've my colleagues from these countries and I'd like to really help them out. :)