Nokia Planning Return to Smartphones [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nokia-concept-image-2.jpg
Above is a Nokia smartphone concept image found randomly on the web.

Here's an interesting tidbit of intel that is floating around the web right now. There are rumors that Nokia may be planning to return to the hardware world, and will specifically bring another smartphone to market. Supposedly, the Finnish company is already designing a new phone.

In fact, the company may be planning to re-enter the smartphone market as early as next year. The industry speculation is that Nokia has further developed their Z Launcher and may be evolving it into a full OS to compete with Android, iOS and Windows Phone. Here's a quote which sums things up,

“They have a lot of great stuff in development,” said Richard Kerris, a former Nokia executive who also consulted for the company until last year as part of his last startup. “It gave me complete confidence that Nokia is a company that is not going away.”

Source: Re/Code

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think they're smart to get back into phone hardware, but I can't support their decision to compete with the other OS's that are already well established.

When I think of great old phones, the Moto RAZR certainly comes to mind, but those old Nokia candybar phones do as well. Can't count how many of those I had and I never replaced one because it quit working, just because I wanted a new phone.

If they were smart about it, they'd focus entirely on the hardware and offer up something different than what everyone else seems to be doing. And make it android so I have another viable option down the road when it's time to upgrade.

Reactions: cr6