Nokia: "Our first priority is beating Android"

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
nokan.jpg

Nokia never wanted to adopt the Android OS, but this is a bit much. Apparently during their press event today at MWC in Barcelona, they said they re-focused their main goal to beat Android. Android is now the best selling mobile smartphone OS in the world. They have been hurting Nokia in many ways, including their wallet. Teaming up with Microsoft and their Windows Phone 7 OS is their way to stick it to Google and Android.

Knowing all this, are you more or less likely to buy a Nokia/Windows Phone 7 device?

Cast your vote above.

Source (Nokia: 'Our first priority is beating Android' -- Engadget)

Last edited by a moderator:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
"Our first priority is beating Android"

Ha! Thats a good laugh..........

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Id love to see windows 7 expand and become a known product,

Nokia's symbian is, as of now, an almost purely overseas successful OS, and I dont like only having 2 main competitors for products,

Intel and AMD
Nvidia and ATI(technically AMD lol)
iOS and Droid.

These dont seem so much as stiff competition than they do brand rivalries. I for one would love to see a third competitor rise up and offer another unique perspective.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

droid fetish

Reaction score
I personally love this!!!! Hate drives competition, and competition is good for us consumers!!!!!!!!!!!dancedroid

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is really a non-story. Of course one of their main priorities would be to beat Android. Look at it like this, the Packers won the Super Bowl this season, is it not the goal of all 31 teams to dethrone them next season??? I think this is just a case of someone making something out of absolutely nothing.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Android has, or is very close, to unseating Symbian for the largest market share, so that's probably what is behind the comment.

In his letter to employees, the CEO made some very candid and interesting remarks. One was he didn't like Android because it's too difficult to differentiate on hardware. Two was he didn't like Android because most of the profits seem to be going to Google. That's what you get with disruptive technology.

And MS is trying to protect its Windows turf. They have to be shaking at the potential for Google to backwards (or is it forwards?) integrate into the desktop OS space. Chrome OS is kind of a joke right now, but Android gives them a great foothold and Honeycomb is pretty sweet. Not to mention, cloud computing is a threat to MS's stranglehold on the Office suite. I suspect MS is less concerned, at this point, about how to profit in the smartphone space than they are defending their core turf.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lol what? You (nokia) partnered with microsoft to beat android when you could have just gone android and already have won. If they went android I think they would have had great success, nokia imo has had great hardware/design. They easily could have had an android following.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

champaned_out

Reaction score
Making great phones that consumers would buy should be their priority... having that kind of mentality nokia has will certainly fail them over and over again...
I think when android first released, their mission wasn't to over throw ISO.. it was to offer consumers an alternative.. something different and fresh, which is why I think they became so successful

Reaction score
I hope they do everything they can to so that google will keep doing everything they can to prevent nokia from beating them. Competition is awesome, without we would all be sporting brick phones