Nokia Might Soon Offer 2 High-End Nougat Smartphones with Snapdragon 820

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nokia-sign-blue.JPG

Following rumors that Nokia is possibly building a new high-end Android smartphone, we have new information suggesting, that it will actually be two devices. The latest scuttlebutt suggests that Nokia is developing 2 premium level Nougat equipped smartphones, and that both will be equipped with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 (or possibly an 821 refresh). Here's a quote with a few more of the details,

"Beyond that, the devices are said to vary a bit in display size, with 5.2 inches and 5.5 inches being the expectations. While we aren’t sure on exact display tech just yet, the possibility of OLED with a combination of Quad HD resolution seems likely. Finally, the devices will sport some serious camera hardware, and that’s something we won’t doubt as Nokia has made a point of excelling in that area in recent years." ~ Phandroid

What do you folks think? Isn't this idea a bit too long in the tooth?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Depending on what the cost to build vs numbers build and cost of the device.

At this point the smartphone market is oversaturated, especially for Android (ie like windows PCs). Even if they are able to grab a few wows it will take a lot to snag away the loyal iPhone and Galaxy fans. That leaves then competing with Google, HTC (who may be falling off but will still command an audience), LG (who are fighting to stay on Samsung's heals and has done a good job of it this far despite the set back from their last phone), Motorola (who still have people that will only buy that brand especially if they are on Verizon because of them being known for their radios), Huawei (who is starting to catch some glances), BlackBerry (they had a tough time competing with the strong Android market despite making a good Android phone), others (this is where we have your companies like Blu, one plus, and other manufacturers that command mostly those looking for a budget device), it's going to be hard to see where Nokia will fit in here. Only way to maybe stand out is to do something others are not doing such as dual boot/dual os phones.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
"High end" and "Snapdragon 820" don't really fit in the same sentence anymore IMHO.

From Qualcomm's website;

"The Snapdragon 821 is engineered to deliver a 10% performance increase over the 820 with the Qualcomm Kryo quad-core CPU, reaching speeds up to 2.4GHz. Why would you introduce something to replace what many consider the best mobile processor available today? Simple, we’re not. Rather than replace the Snapdragon 820, the 821 is designed to complement and extend the competitive strengths of our Snapdragon 800 lineup."

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
So...how is the 820 not "high end"? I mean a 10% increase is hardly dethroning. It's still a quality processor.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah, I knew my comment would be controversial. In respect to "high end" I suppose it depends on what you deem "high end", and I suppose my comment is also perhaps a bit premature, but considering the 820 debuted with over 30 phones already slated for the 820 by September of 2015, I see it as at least a year and a half old. If you say the first phone released with the 820 was announced in January, it's half a year since the first one hit the market.

From thedroidguy.com June of 2016;

"Up until a few months ago, the tech world was buzzing for Qualcomm’s #Snapdragon820silicon. Manufacturers have obliged accordingly, as there are a handful of smartphones in the market today running the new chipset. But this might soon be old news, with a slightly more powerful Snapdragon 823 all set to hit devices as well."

Now this was slightly inaccurate as I can see, since it was actually a 821 that was next in line, however it's 10% faster and that is very significant.

If your car moved 10% faster next year than it does this year, it would be 132mph versus 120. At 120, 132 would feel so much faster. If a car's engine that had 10% more horsepower at the same displacement as one off the shelf it would be an astronomical difference. A sky scraper that's currently the third tallest building in the US would be the second tallest if it were less than 10% taller.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Those aren't good comparisons really... Is this year's Ferrari less high end than next year's? Even though next year's has more bells and whistles?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Those aren't good comparisons really... Is this year's Ferrari less high end than next year's? Even though next year's has more bells and whistles?

Well heck, I tried! LOL