Nokia Does Not Want Android... Do You Care?

Do You Care?

• No, Nokia Can Go Burn In Finland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, They Are The Biggest Phone Marker, So I want Something

• Maybe, If their Solution Is Something Great

• Total voters

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont care that they dont want Android. I want Android. Thats all that matters. I would like to see Android on a Nokia smartphone tho, just to see what they could bring to the table.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
At the same time motorola is a really old cell phone company, yet they managed to come out as a big player with the droid/milestone lineup and more.

If nokia chooses to go another route, more power to them, its gonna be interesting to see what they'll do. If they have another app market, devs will scream, though. Ios, winmo 7, android, webOS, and the latest version of whatever nokia comes up with?

Tapatalk on Motorola Droid, UDeXtreme 8.0.0

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Sigh... the remarks made by Nokia had nothing to do with the user or the probable popularity of Android. Instead they were talking about the long term profitability of Android for the manufacturer.

What they are expecting is that Android phones will go the way of Windows PC computers, where there will be little to differentiate a Motorola from an HTC. They will have to compete entirely on specs and pricing.

For the consumer this isn't such a bad thing. It means major price and spec wars. For the manufacturer it means marginalized profits, just like in the low end PC market. It also means that Android would probably become one of the biggest, if not the biggest, OS in the mobil market.

The is no telling if this will happen at this point. Each manufacturer is struggling to make sure that their Android offering is unique, offering different front ends and wide variations in design. A good portion of what dissatisfies current Android geeks is nothing more than manufactures trying their best to stay unique and build customer loyalty to their brand.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Sigh... the remarks made by Nokia had nothing to do with the user or the probable popularity of Android. Instead they were talking about the long term profitability of Android for the manufacturer.

What they are expecting is that Android phones will go the way of Windows PC computers, where there will be little to differentiate a Motorola from an HTC. They will have to compete entirely on specs and pricing.

For the consumer this isn't such a bad thing. It means major price and spec wars. For the manufacturer it means marginalized profits, just like in the low end PC market. It also means that Android would probably become one of the biggest, if not the biggest, OS in the mobil market.

The is no telling if this will happen at this point. Each manufacturer is struggling to make sure that their Android offering is unique, offering different front ends and wide variations in design. A good portion of what dissatisfies current Android geeks is nothing more than manufactures trying their best to stay unique and build customer loyalty to their brand.

I see what you're saying, but I think its actually NOT short-sighted to go with an OS like Android.

That's part of the reason PC's became so widespread and Apple's Commodores etc.. became "bleh", is the Multiple manufacturers yet one common OS. It allows developers and such to focus their energies on one maybe two OS's to write software for.

I'm focusing on Motorola, but mainly because their Mobile division was in the pits just prior to releasing phones such as the Droid/Droid X/Milestone (and their other Android models), so it basically turned the Mobile division of Motorola into a profit-making enterprise once again.

As for the other Manufacturers, companies like HTC, who have been making smartphones for a while now, have been making phones with multiple OS's: Windows Mobile, and now Android. I hear they're making a WinMo7 phone, too.

One could say back in the day Apple was far-sighted when they chose not to make yet another IBM-PC clone that would run Microsoft DOS, but Apple only truly came out of their "niche" market when they made the not-so-great-featured-but-highly-polished iPod. Ever since the iPod (and yea, the iMac) came out, people finally started looking their way.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
The last time I found Nokia relevant was in 2001 when I had a little tiny cellphone with a pop out keyboard that was the "cool" phone.

Then I moved on in to a Windows Mobile smartphone in 2002, and haven't given them a single thought since.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
I see what you're saying, but I think its actually NOT short-sighted to go with an OS like Android. . .

And yet all your arguments, until you start talking about Apple, are benefits to the consumer and possibly developers, not the manufacturer. The thing to remember is that Android itself is not a money product. Sure, new and exciting right now, the name alone is selling a lot of phones. That won't last forever. Unless the manufactures find a way to come up with a way to make their phones unique and desirable they are going to be competing entirely on the basis of price vs hardware features.

At that point there market will start looking a lot like the netbook market. A constant drive to the cheapest possible piece of plastic with the longest list of features. Not necessarily a bad thing for the consumers; however manufactures make very little per unit on the sales.

Hold in mind I'm not completely sure I agree with Nokia. We are a long way from seeing what the market is gong to do, and the mobile market is volatile and has a very short product life expectancy.

Jmart922

Reaction score
Keep doing the android community a big favor and stay away, less fragmentation = good thing

Bilgediver

Reaction score
We do have to remember, in this market there really are no long term decisions. How fast is has each "generation" of networks come out? "Not to mention OS's and smartphones.

Apple can say what it thinks, but windows mobile and palm handsets drove the touchscreen craze in phones to begin with.

Motorola can make a series of short term decisions and wind up being king anyway, because each big "thing" in cellular tech has been short term anyway.

Tapatalk on Motorola Droid, UDeXtreme 8.0.0

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
when I move to europe i'll get a nokia (meaning never)... without the android market or the app store a smart phone isn't so smart..... blackberrys nokias or whatever phones are out there are useless

the hd2 was a 10x better phone then any nokia but running windows mobile is lame

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I had an e72 and was very impressed. It was fast, stable, had a great camera, never crashed but Symbian sucks swamp water through a small straw! It has some good features but menus are confusing and recursive, like the old New England saying "you can't get there from here, you have to go there first."

Yeah as someone said early on in this thread, they're in denial! Good luck Nokia!

bigtex52

Reaction score
Probably why Nokia's market share continues to diminish as time goes by: poor knowledge of their market. And as for peeing in their pants to stay warm, who should know better than the Finns? dancedroid

johntkong

Reaction score
I'm surprised they are even news worthy. I guess the only way for them to get into the news is say something that crazy.