No WIFI hotspot fix for rooted GB?

Graymayre

Reaction score
... Carriers still charge for navagation while Google gives it away. It's not stealing. It is the result of an open market which the carriers choose to participate.

The Crusades are over.

Excellent example, I didn't think of that.
Does anyone even use VZ navigator?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

xan

Reaction score
I think most of us will agree that what they charge to tether is blatant highway robbery.

makaveliq3

Reaction score
good grief. It is stealing but they're charging too much that's how we justify our thievery. Move along.

If you are tired of this discussion unsubscribe from it. Your complaining about the topic is worse than anything.

No. It's an interesting topic but you guys are killing it with reiterating the same points that are
"Stealing is bad-> You are stealing -> you are bad"
v.s
"It's not stealing if it should be free -> it should be free-> it is not stealing"

The google v.s VZ navigation is a good example of a non-rehashed topic point. Expand upon that.
Since we're just pissing on each other, you sir should unsubscribe if all your posts are just going to be the rewording of each previous post.

Zing.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
My favorite tethering posts here are the ones where someone not only wants to know how to WiFi tether for free but also how secure their WiFi so nobody else can get on it. :D

CD95YJ

Reaction score
None of it is stealing. They knew what they were doing when they gave us unlimited data on an opensource phone. They are trying to limit it, to charge for the extra use, but nothing is illegal or wrong about rooting your phone and tethering it for free. You pay for the unlimited data, you get unlimited data. Do you think VZW pays that much per GB that you use? No. They will be coming out with tiered data plans to limit this so that they can make more money, but those of us who have unlimited now will have unlimited then and it will still be legal. Get your facts straight, ask a VZW rep or manager, they will tell you the same if they know what they are talking about. Just because there is a payed option sponsored by VZW doesn't mean that the free option is illegal. Its just a way for them to make money for the convenience.

If you believe it is not illegal in any way shape or form I have a unicorn for sale, its only $150,000, and it will give you 5 wishes to be used anyway you like.

Running running as fast as it can, running running gingerbread man!

How much for a test drive? ;P
But seriously, Law requires paper, and there is nothing restricting the use of the unlimited data. Simple as that.
I understand that it can seem wrong or illegal, but it is not because nothing says so in the paperwork. All they did was enable you to pay so that you don't have to root and void your warranty for the same thing.
The only instance where I heard about VZW getting seriously upset about it was the last time I went to VZW. I was talking to one of the techs about it, a guy who was pulling over a TB worth of data in webcasts and pushing almost as much. Verizon is about to cancel his service, but they haven't so far because he is doing nothing illegal or against his contract, and in fact the contract is what is protecting him from the involuntary cancellation. So far, only in his case are they losing money, but they enabled him to do it.

Read your contract, it does clearly state that tethering is a violation of a "legal" contract you entered into whether or not you read it before signing. It states they reserve the right to cancel your contract if they find you tethering, it also gives them the option to prosecute you for theft of a paid service.

There is also a clause when you renew your contract that you are accepting any new terms to the contract that may have changed from when you originally signed, so tethering may not have been clearly defined 5 years ago when you originally signed your contract, but it has been clearly defined for a couple of years now. I'm not saying shame on you to those who tether, heck I have tethered a friends ipod touch so he could facetime with his wife while she was out of town, but I will say be aware that you are taking a chance at losing your service or possibly being charged with a crime.

Ron_G

Reaction score
I hope not. Thats one of the reasons phones are getting locked down. Dont get me wrong O think we should be able to do whatever the hell we want with our 3G and not pay more to do it.

you do not own the network. verizon can do whatever they want with it. you own the phone, so feel free to modify that as you please, but stealing 3G to tether is the reason all of this is "going down"

and you can't use the "we get unlimited data" arguement. you get unlimited data through the phone not through the computer you are tethering off of the phone....read your contract.

You're correct I don't own the network and don't want to own the network. However the phone that I pay for comes with unlimited network bandwidth access up to 5 GB per month. If I want to access the Network Service from the Phone or from my PC tethered to the phone for up to the Unlimited - Limited 5 GB per month useage I'm authorized for then I should be able do so as I see fit. Verizon is just trying to put more money in their pockets at my expense.

:blackdroid:

chiruscan

Reaction score
Not sure how it can be stealing when you are paying for a supposedly 'unlimited' data plan.

vatothe0

Reaction score
Not sure how it can be stealing when you are paying for a supposedly 'unlimited' data plan.

Unlimited use on the phone. I take it you didn't read the paperwork you agreed to. Have fun being third in line for the human centipad.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk