No WiFi after ICS update

DeeDee

Reaction score
After doing ICS update on my Rezound my phone will no longer connect to my wifi. Never had a problem before the update. Spent 2 hours on phone with Verizon, no help, still will not connect to WiFi. HELP...any suggestions?

VidJunky

Reaction score
Is it just your home Wi-Fi network that's affected?
Hate to start an response with a question, but yours is kind of the opposite problem from the ones I've been hearing. I've been hearing of Wi-Fi turning its self on after being in airplane mode, or over prompting for the user to try and connect, or connect to an available network.

Anyway, if it's just your Wi-Fi that's affected I would say it's one of two things.
-Security protocols or something else has changed either on the phone or your network OR
-Your network needs to be rebooted.
Since, for me, the latter would be easier that would be where I would start. Unplug both your router and modem. Wait 15 to 30 seconds and plug in the modem first then the router. When you have all of the lights on each try your connection again. I've found that, again for me, I may not lose connectivity for my wired stuff, but may loose Wi-Fi.

If you think it's the former, I'd try telling the phone to forget your network then setting it up again. If that doesn't get it you could try changing your security protocol for your router. Afterwards you'll probably have to redo your setup on the phone anyway.

If neither of these works, tell us what Verizon had you do, so we're not rehashing the same things.

OP
D

DeeDee

Reaction score
No wifi

Yes it is only my home wifi, Apple Express. I have done everything u suggested already at least 3 x's before calling tech support. Verizon had me do it also. I have done factory reset on my phone, removed battery, removed sim card, reset apps, rebooted router, reset Comcast Internet at least 6 x's now. I have called Apple & Comcast. Have now spent over 3 hrs on the phone with Verizon tech support. They are to get back to me within 5 days...if I'm lucky. I just don't understand why this did not happen until I did ICS update. I did go to a Verizon store & it would connect to their wifi so I was sent home with no suggestions. Everything else in my house...computer, iPad, blu- ray, wii....all connect just fine. Any help / suggestions are greatly appreciated !!!

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd run the 3.14.605.12 RUU, which is the same version as your OTA. If your wireless worked before the update, it should now. We know the RUU works. So that would be worth a shot(and you don't even have to root do to it).

OP
D

DeeDee

Reaction score
No wifi

I'm so sorry...but I'm lost. I guess I just don't understand all this unlocking, rebooting stuff. My phone software is 3.14.605.12 710RD. HTC & Verizon tell me that is correct. Hey, what do I know? Guess I need one of those " for dummies" books. I do apologize for my confusion. Thank you so much for trying to help. It is more than I've gotten from all my phone calls.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Download Wifi Analyzer from the market. Use that to see if your phone can detect your wifi signal. That may help narrow down your problem.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

VidJunky

Reaction score
If it is truly just your home Wi-Fi, you've tested or tried it in other locations to verify it's only at home, then I'm going to say it's an issue with your home network not the phone. Hopefully it's your network couldn't handle the phone upgrade and not your phone being unable to to handle an update to your network. I would try seeing if there are updated for your network equipment. Followed by Ram's suggestion, followed by Mr Smith's. Having already done at least one FR doing the ruu shouldn't cost you anything. Does the network show up on the phone as available?

OP
D

DeeDee

Reaction score
No WiFi

Just thought I'd let u know that HTC returned my call concerning this issue. It seems that since the ICS update my phone would not connect to any Apple WiFi. It recognizes them, says signal strength is excellent & tries to connect then disconnects. They say it is a problem in the update & I will just have to wait for an update to the update to fix it. Of course they don't even know when that would be. I have been offered a replacement, Motorola Razr, by Verizon. I love my Rezound, but really do need to be able to connect to WiFi to keep says usage down. Any thoughts from anyone if a Razr will be an adequate replacement? Or should I just keep my Rezound & hang in there & hope for HTC to come out with an update this year?

VidJunky

Reaction score
How many Apple Wi-Fi's are there in your life? Is there something special about this unit that no other unit will offer? Do you have the unit because you're a former Apple fan-person? Good Wi-Fi units are cheap anymore. And if it's a provider thing they can't or won't offer you a new unit? I'm just saying. Hassle of picking, paying for, and tying to recoup your losses when you have a great phone, or $30 to $70 for a Wi-Fi unit?

OP
D

DeeDee

Reaction score
No WiFi

How many Apple Wi-Fi's are there in your life? Is there something special about this unit that no other unit will offer? Do you have the unit because you're a former Apple fan-person? Good Wi-Fi units are cheap anymore. And if it's a provider thing they can't or won't offer you a new unit? I'm just saying. Hassle of picking, paying for, and tying to recoup your losses when you have a great phone, or $30 to $70 for a Wi-Fi unit?

Point taken. We have 2 Rezounds & 2 Apples between 2 houses. Because our printers & home security systems connect to our router via 2 USB ports it would cost more like $150 x 2 to replace our routers. Never had an issue in 10 years till this update. Just seems quite silly the only alternative is to start replacing equipment because of an update. I just spent $ on the phone & now have to replace routers because of a silly update. Sorry....give me a break. I guess if it were u, u wouldn't mind just having to go out & replace ur equipment because of a software update. Doesn't matter what kind of router we are talking about...it's the principle.

VidJunky

Reaction score
I don't disagree with your principal statement. Money don't grow on trees, right? I've been screwed by updates in the past do I kind of know your pain. They didn't cost me any money, just time and effort. With all the suing going on between the OS devs and the phone makers it really was just a matter of time before they put an end to cross communication. Doing a quick search of ICS, Apple Wi-Fi I came across dozens of posts on almost as many devices with the same issue. It looks murky and more than a bit shady that more than one version of ICS would ironically have the same glitch. Don't know how long is hold my breath for some future update to the update. None of the posts I read offered any kind of work around or options other than replacing something. The poor galaxy tab people can't exchange their tabs with the ban in place. Be glad you're not one of them.

The opinion that this is a conspiracy is just an opinion and should not be taken as fact. It was actually meant to be a little facetious and any similarity to actual events is coincidental. Results may very, consult a congressman before taking.

VidJunky

Reaction score
I didn't want to start a new thread for this and since we're kind of talking about Wi-Fi issues I figured I throw it in here and see if I get any bites. If not, I don't think it will be a big deal. Anyway to the point.

I've noticed that there are times, even when I'm very close to my router that I only have the little dot indicating Wi-Fi and none of the lines. Last night I needed to turn on my Wi-Fi, because I had turned it off, and noticed that when it showed my list of available connections that my router signal was strong all bars, but my indicator in the notification bar was still just a dot. My laptop was bouncing back and forth all bars or down one. The phone connected fine and everything worked, just thought it was odd.

Solution

Other with this issue

Rebooting the phone brought the bars back.