No USB cable options after root, and WiFi Tether install?

CharmPeddler

Reaction score
I rooted my D3, then installed the Wifi tether (wifi_tether_v3_1-beta6.apk - android-wifi-tether - WiFi Tether for Root Users 3.1-beta6 *** BETA *** - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting). while installing this i was met with " This will install over another something.". stupid me, i hit OK. and now when ever i plug the phone into my laptop the USB mode options no longer pop up on the phone. Also, the Wifi tether nor the Wired tether work.

Anyone have any ideas. I went searching for the USB mode menu in the settings, but never found them.

REMilk

Reaction score
I installed the same .apk file as you and had no problems with the phone after the install. In fact, Wifi-Tether started right up. However, it invoked the "Mobile Hotspot" app. When I opened a browser on my laptop, I was directed to the "HotSpot" page which required me to add the service. So I just closed and removed wifi-tether.

For my OG Droid, I purchased 'Easy Tether' so I just installed and registered it onto my Droid 3. This app requires a USB tether. However this seems to work fine.

Bob

OP
CharmPeddler

CharmPeddler

Reaction score
Ya i got the mobile hotspot thing too. but my issue now, is that my phone seems to be stuck on the "charge only" usb mode. i'm assuming that the "this will install over" msg was about removing the USB mode options menu. so if that menu was ONLY available from the pop up screen, and not also located deep down in the settings, then i am SOL.

OP
CharmPeddler

CharmPeddler

Reaction score
no. I have not received ANY response on the xda forums either.

technofiles2003

Reaction score
hmmmm interesting problem

The only tehtering options that I know work are the Hack using the radio that is mentioned in another thread (which works awesomely but isn't very user friendly to do, though I did it following the instructions to the letter), and PDAnet, which works via usb or bluetooth. As for your problem, obviously something was over written or corrupted by your installation. How to fix it? First, compare your key system files with stock and see what files you need back. Hopefully whatever overwrote your system files create .bak files of your original files- search your root for .bak files and see if any of them match the rough time/date of your problematic installation. If so, maybe reactivating them might fix your problem. If not, download the system files from other thread and compare them. Find out where yours are different and replace them. Hope this helps...

OP
CharmPeddler

CharmPeddler

Reaction score
Ya i've been using PDAnet sense i upgraded from the OGD1.

Thank you for the information giving me a direction to look.

I understand everything you said in theory, But can you point me to the directory with said files on my phone. and to a list to compare them to? or would it be just as easy to download the actual android system and compare them that way?

also... it's a good thing i have Astro File Explorer on my phone to search all the files, as i'm unable to use my PC.

THANKS again!

technofiles2003

Reaction score
directory is your system/apps folder

system/apps folder, and somewhere on this forum there was listed mediafire directories that you could download containing pristine directories of system/app files. I like root explorer as it makes changing read only directories to read/write easy.

OP
CharmPeddler

CharmPeddler

Reaction score
I found the place on my phone, but having issues finding that Download you talked about. I'll continue looking for sure. THANKS for all the help so far!

jjbinks82

Reaction score
I found the place on my phone, but having issues finding that Download you talked about. I'll continue looking for sure. THANKS for all the help so far!

So did you ever figure out how to fix your files and get your USB back? Same thing happened to me. I can't access my USB either after root and wifi tether install. When I installed wifi tether I got the same question. I hit cancel tho and lost my USB immediately after.

OP
CharmPeddler

CharmPeddler

Reaction score
Nope, i've been looking for the Download that i can compare what is NOT on my phone to what should be.
Please let me know if you find it, or any list for that matter.

jjbinks82

Reaction score
Nope, i've been looking for the Download that i can compare what is NOT on my phone to what should be.
Please let me know if you find it, or any list for that matter.

Ok, this is weird, I just plugged my phone in using the stock USB cord my Droid came with and VOHLAH my USB options came back!!!

When I first rooted I used two different USB chords. Try your stock one and see what happens.

OP
CharmPeddler

CharmPeddler

Reaction score
OHH WTH. I've only used the Stock cable before, i just tried with a non stock, (usb to mini usb cable with Mini to micro adaptor) and it works now. it MUST have been an update or something.

OP
CharmPeddler

CharmPeddler

Reaction score
OK! so now to find which version of Google code Wifi + Wired Tethering will work.