No unlimited data for s4?!?!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So is it too late to work through one of the loop holes? If I was the one paying the phonebill I wouldve done it but my mother wouldnt let me screw with the account as she believes what verizon is saying.
Ah, so you *might* have some pitbull in you after all! :)

Here's how I would handle it: I would call Verizon on the phone (IMHO they have EXCEPTIONAL customer service) and explain that your mother used the upgrade without realizing that you were losing your unlimited data. I've heard maybe half a dozen stories that all went the same way:

(1) The rep says, "I'm sorry, you signed a contract, I can't do anything now."

(2) You politely insist, "No, I am very upset about this and want it fixed."

(3) They repeat, "I can't do anything."

This goes on for a few rounds, after which you either ask for the matter to be escalated, politely note that you plan to file a case with the Better Business Bureau (no bluffing), or otherwise make it very politely clear that you want Verizon to make this right.

Of the stories I've heard, in pretty much each case the new contract was cancelled and the person was returned to their original plan. Of course, there are probably dozens more people who gave up and didn't make it to that point. Also, once you get your unlimited plan back, it remains an open question whether you have the patience and determination to make the "loophole" plan work.

Personally, I think you're punishing yourself too much over this and it's time accept it and move on, but if you think it's worth the extra trouble and hassle you could always give them a call. You also have your mother to worry about (her concerns are pretty valid). A few people here have also asked how much data you actually use per month (it's not hard to check) and until you say "5 or 6 gigabytes" it could very well turn out that the $30 for 2GB plan actually works for you! I for one happily admit that I've never used more than 2GB in a month, and yet I'll do everything in my power to keep my unlimited plan. :) It's irrational, but I understand why you miss it.

-Matt

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well apparently I can use the upgrade and pay $249 for the 32gb model but I'd lose unlimited. Let me know or somebody reccomend me a place I should buy the phone. There's no way I"m paying 650.
ebay, that is where I got my used as new S4 with a otterbox commuter and defender with holster and a 32gb Samsung micro SD card for $475. Phone and accessories look and work like new.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Good luck trying to get it back, especially since you're not the account holder.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Good luck trying to get it back, especially since you're not the account holder.
If TuBit's mom authorizes her kid to speak to the rep, they have a chance. But there's a fine line between whining and effectively negotiating with CS reps -- some people have the touch and some don't.

Of the stories I've heard, in pretty much each case the new contract was cancelled and the person was returned to their original plan. Of course, there are probably dozens more people who gave up and didn't make it to that point. Also, once you get your unlimited plan back, it remains an open question whether you have the patience and determination to make the "loophole" plan work.
I probably should have noted: one of the things that's absolutely required for this to work is to not only have an account in good standing, but to actually be an outstanding customer. Any late payments or other questions on your account, and the CSR should stand their ground.

-Matt

tommyg562000

Reaction score
Thank you guys for this thread. I just saw that i was available for upgrade today, but i wanted to keep my unlimited data so I figured I couldn't use the upgrade. Now I see that I can move my upgrade to my wifes line as she has the 2gb plan and do the upgrade and move the phone to my line! I'm so excited! Now to choose a phone!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If TuBit's mom authorizes her kid to speak to the rep, they have a chance. But there's a fine line between whining and effectively negotiating with CS reps -- some people have the touch and some don't.

I probably should have noted: one of the things that's absolutely required for this to work is to not only have an account in good standing, but to actually be an outstanding customer. Any late payments or other questions on your account, and the CSR should stand their ground.

-Matt
Yeah there's a chance to get it back, but if the account holder already believes Verizon then it's an uphill battle against his mom AND verizon. Kid missed his chance and if he wants his unlimited data back he'll have to go through twice as much now than he would've initially.

Thank you guys for this thread. I just saw that i was available for upgrade today, but i wanted to keep my unlimited data so I figured I couldn't use the upgrade. Now I see that I can move my upgrade to my wifes line as she has the 2gb plan and do the upgrade and move the phone to my line! I'm so excited! Now to choose a phone!
What phone you got in mind?

tommyg562000

Reaction score
Yeah there's a chance to get it back, but if the account holder already believes Verizon then it's an uphill battle against his mom AND verizon. Kid missed his chance and if he wants his unlimited data back he'll have to go through twice as much now than he would've initially.

What phone you got in mind?

Well, I have the razr maxx right now and I love the battery life, so I was looking at pre-ordering the Droid Maxx. I was also thinking of the note 2. I don't necessarily have to get a new phone right now so if you guys know of anything worth waiting for this year i'm all ears.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well, I have the razr maxx right now and I love the battery life, so I was looking at pre-ordering the Droid Maxx. I was also thinking of the note 2. I don't necessarily have to get a new phone right now so if you guys know of anything worth waiting for this year i'm all ears.
Note 3 is rumored to be out sometime in the fall, again just a rumor. Should have an improvement on battery (not that the Note 2 is a slouch on that) as well as everything else.

If you're in no rush it's better to wait considering what Moto is coming out with, and I'm sure Samsung will release the Note 3 within the next couple of months if you feel like waiting.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Id have to get off the family plan I have now since im not the account holder and my mother wouldnt risk it especially after what the rep told her if I was to do it. Is there anyway I could at least switch to 3g to use data slower? When I had my droid 2 with 3g I apparently wasnt using too much data and I was a heavy user. I dont think I could live with this limited data bull****

Psykho

Reaction score
Id have to get off the family plan I have now since im not the account holder and my mother wouldnt risk it especially after what the rep told her if I was to do it. Is there anyway I could at least switch to 3g to use data slower? When I had my droid 2 with 3g I apparently wasnt using too much data and I was a heavy user. I dont think I could live with this limited data bull****

It doesn't matter if you use 3g or 4g for example a 100mb download is a 100mb download you just get it faster on 4g...

m3incorp

Reaction score

I think it's time you throw in the towel. Here are a few reasons. #1. You have been asked many times how much data you use monthly and you STILL have not said. #2. You stated that when used your droid 2 on 3G, you apparently didn't use much data. (data is data, it's just that 4G allows that data to travel faster). #3. You just had your mom do an upgrade, which meant sign a contract...sure if it hasn't been too long since that happened, Verizon can cancel that contract. #4 THE BIGGIE. If you get off your family plan and start a new plan for you.....then guess what, there is no unlimited data plan for new subscribers, which is what you will have become. #5. There "may" be a reason that your mother is not willing to jump through hoops to use one of the other upgradable lines to allow you to keep unlimited. I've got friends who took away the unlimited for their kids because they spent hours upon hours streaming videos, youtube and yep videos from some of those sites that parents prefer their kids not frequent. I'm NOT saying this is the case with you. Parents are there for a reason. Again, connect to secure WiFi as often as possible to keep from going over the data limit.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
#1. You have been asked many times how much data you use monthly and you STILL have not said.
Excellent points. Please add: #1a We'd like to see your last 2 semester's transcripts, too. ;)

Mother knows best. :biggrin:

-Matt

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
You were provided with more than enough information and confirmations on how to save your unlimited data. Since you are a heavy user you'll have to rely on wifi alot more.