No unlimited data for s4?!?!

m3incorp

Reaction score
Like stated above. If you are on a plan with your mom and sister and one of them is due an upgrade (and don't intend to use it), you can upgrade using their line and then transfer the new phone to your line and keep your unlimited data. Just keep in mind, that at some point both of them may want to upgrade and guess who will have the only line that hasn't been upgraded...could cause friction withing the family. Have you checked to see how much data you typically use? As for where to buy your new Samsung S4, that depends on what is near you and or, if you willing to buy online. Walmart's Sunday Ad shows it this week for $148 for the 16GB model. I bought a 16GB model when I bought mine and added a 32GB microSD card. I know that gamers typically want as much on-board storage as they can afford, so the 32GB model is probably what you want.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Like stated above. If you are on a plan with your mom and sister and one of them is due an upgrade (and don't intend to use it), you can upgrade using their line and then transfer the new phone to your line and keep your unlimited data. Just keep in mind, that at some point both of them may want to upgrade and guess who will have the only line that hasn't been upgraded...could cause friction withing the family. Have you checked to see how much data you typically use? As for where to buy your new Samsung S4, that depends on what is near you and or, if you willing to buy online. Walmart's Sunday Ad shows it this week for $148 for the 16GB model. I bought a 16GB model when I bought mine and added a 32GB microSD card. I know that gamers typically want as much on-board storage as they can afford, so the 32GB model is probably what you want.

Exactly. I helped someone upgrade to the S4 by sacrificing the wife's Unlimited. The wife never went over 1gb anyways. He uses alot. He upgraded from a Bionic.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Not to mention that if the other lines are unlimitied and they want to keep their unlimited then upgrading their line wont be an option, so make sure there ok with it :)

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 2!

xxwabbit

Reaction score

I want to do this as well. After activation on my wife's dummy phone line, can I cancel immediately or should I wait for a period of time? And also, do they refund all the money spent on the charges?

NACPEYE

Reaction score
I want to do this as well. After activation on my wife's dummy phone line, can I cancel immediately or should I wait for a period of time? And also, do they refund all the money spent on the charges?
Did this last week. Have one unlimitd line and one dumb line. Upgraded the dumb line to an S4. When the phone arrived I activated the phone on the dumb line and then switched the dumb phone back (online thru MyVerizon) which then switches that line back to normal. Then I switched the new phone onto the unlimited line and kept unlimited data. In my case I can't lose unlimited because I use it as a HotSpot and that uses up about 6 to 7 gigs with two computers on the internet. That by the way is with no movie downloads or games. Good luck!

PS. That was a 32g S4 through Verizon @ $249 not full price.

JohnCtheMP

Reaction score
There are loop holes to keeping unlimited data. I've upgraded my phone 3 times in the past 18 months and kept my unlimited data. I can't speak for other carriers but I know its possible for VZW. PM me and I can help you out.

m3incorp

Reaction score
There are loop holes to keeping unlimited data. I've upgraded my phone 3 times in the past 18 months and kept my unlimited data. I can't speak for other carriers but I know its possible for VZW. PM me and I can help you out.

Care to share, if it wasn't one of the ways that have already been mentioned.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Unfortunately, as stated before, you have to either pay full retail or find a used one online to maintain unlimited. Purchasing subsidized will mean moving into one of their family share or individual gb plans.

Purchased mine outright to maintain unlimited, btw.
So you ended up paying 650? It's such a letdown that theyre doing this. I feel like verizon should let you keep the same plan since you're already paying monthly for internet and phone use. I'm not about to switch services but I heard sprint let's you have unlimited with s4. Is this true? I can see that being a big selling point for sprint.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Would that interfere with the costs or contracts? It sounds like going over the 2gb limit isn't that hard to do. My sister has the iphone 5 and according to my mother she's been chareged for going over her limit before.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Did this last week. Have one unlimitd line and one dumb line. Upgraded the dumb line to an S4. When the phone arrived I activated the phone on the dumb line and then switched the dumb phone back (online thru MyVerizon) which then switches that line back to normal. Then I switched the new phone onto the unlimited line and kept unlimited data. In my case I can't lose unlimited because I use it as a HotSpot and that uses up about 6 to 7 gigs with two computers on the internet. That by the way is with no movie downloads or games. Good luck!

PS. That was a 32g S4 through Verizon @ $249 not full price.
I probably shouldn't care but would verizon cared if I do this? My parents pay for the phones and I'd have to try to explain all of this to them, maybe even bring it up at verizon. Is this supposed to be like a trick?

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Would that interfere with the costs or contracts? It sounds like going over the 2gb limit isn't that hard to do. My sister has the iphone 5 and according to my mother she's been chareged for going over her limit before.
also if I upgrade through there line what would happen to the phone they're using now? for example my sister has the iphone 5. if i upgrade it wouldn't that deactivate it??

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
also if I upgrade through there line what would happen to the phone they're using now? for example my sister has the iphone 5. if i upgrade it wouldn't that deactivate it??
If you upgrade through another phone line (your sister's) her phone would be de-activated for a few short minutes as the s4 would activate on her line. Once that process is over the s4 can be transferred to your line and your sister's iphone will be active once again.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Exactly. I helped someone upgrade to the S4 by sacrificing the wife's Unlimited. The wife never went over 1gb anyways. He uses alot. He upgraded from a Bionic.
I'm still really confused. If I upgrade using their line I'll end up paying 650 bucks. Only my line appears to have a "discounted" upgrade right now. Can somebody further clarify how this works? I called an "authorized" dealer and explained what I was trying to do and they told me it's doable but complex.

MikeGoob

Reaction score
I wanted to keep my unlimited so I just bit the bullet and paid $600 at best buy. They did some price matching from somewhere online so that lowered the price. I love tethering and keeping my unlimited data so it was the only choice.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm still really confused. If I upgrade using their line I'll end up paying 650 bucks. Only my line appears to have a "discounted" upgrade right now. Can somebody further clarify how this works? I called an "authorized" dealer and explained what I was trying to do and they told me it's doable but complex.
No you won't.

What they'll do is use your upgrade on another line so you can get the phone at the subsidized price. Again, once the s4 has been upgraded to another line they can transfer the phone back to your line. You're basically activating and signing up for a new contract on another line and then the phone and new contract gets transferred to your line. Just like transferring phones to another line, an upgrade(which includes the s4, in this case) can be dealt with the same way.

So it's similar to if you bought a phone from a 3rd party (such as Craigslist) and then activating it on your line. Your data plan doesn't change because you technically didn't use an upgrade on your line, all you did was change your phone, not the plan.