No unlimited data for s4?!?!

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
So I was super hyped to be upgrading from my droid 2 global to the galaxy s4. My original concern was that I'd be charged more per month since I'd be upgrading to a 4G network from 3G. TO my relief verizon explained to me over the phone that monthly charges would stay the same, HOWEVER, there's NO unlimited data. They told me I get up to 2gb of storage don't know if this qualifies for texting as well as anything using internet connection?? Can somebody enlighten me on this issue? I've been saving up and working hard to buy this thing, I don't won't to be limited to what I'm allowed to do.

I'd appreciate any feedback. Has anybody been charged for over usage of the phone? How big of a deal is this? I'm a pretty heavy mobile internet user.

Thanks again. Please share your thoughts.

m3incorp

Reaction score
Texting and data plans are two different things. I've had unlimited data for the past 3 years and honestly, I have never gone over 2GB a month. I'm not a video or game junkie and typically am near somewhere that has reliable, relatively safe wifi, so that helps.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
you cant use an "upgrade", you have to pay retail or get it some where else basically off contract.
after you get it, just go to vzw and get a 4g sim for it, there free and have no effect on your plan.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
3G/4G has nothing to do with keeping your unlimited data. Verizon changed the rules about upgrades a while ago (last year I think). If you upgrade at the subsidized price then you lose unlimited data and have to pay for what you use. If you pay full price for the phone then you can keep your unlimited.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Isn't it like 600 bucks without the contract though?? I currently have the family plan which is split between my mother and sister and I think without a contract it would be a lot more. If I use an upgrade it would be like 300 bucks or something

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
3G/4G has nothing to do with keeping your unlimited data. Verizon changed the rules about upgrades a while ago (last year I think). If you upgrade at the subsidized price then you lose unlimited data and have to pay for what you use. If you pay full price for the phone then you can keep your unlimited.

So does that mean I'd have to pay $649 if I want to keep my unlimited?

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Texting and data plans are two different things. I've had unlimited data for the past 3 years and honestly, I have never gone over 2GB a month. I'm not a video or game junkie and typically am near somewhere that has reliable, relatively safe wifi, so that helps.
Are you using the s4? I do plan to use a lot of games and videos on it. Right now I'm pretty sure I have unlimited texting.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2

basically, yes
there are places on the net where you might be able to get it cheaper, or you could buy one used.
at any rate, you can not use an upgrade, and you do not want to renew your contract on your line, or you will loose unlimited.

OP
T

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
basically, yes
there are places on the net where you might be able to get it cheaper, or you could buy one used.
at any rate, you can not use an upgrade, and you do not want to renew your contract on your line, or you will loose unlimited.
Well apparently I can use the upgrade and pay $249 for the 32gb model but I'd lose unlimited. Let me know or somebody reccomend me a place I should buy the phone. There's no way I"m paying 650.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
That is ^^ assuming you were already on a plan that had unlimited data. In other words, you either had it already and want to keep it - in which case you must buy the phone for full retail (or used off the web), or you buy it subsidized and give up unlimited if you had it, and won't get it if you didn't have it previously.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Yes if you upgrade you will loose ur unlimited data if you buy it out right (pay full price) you can keep ur unlimited data. That what I had to do when I bought my note 2 so I could keep my unlimited data. Have had the same plan for like 3 or 4 years now. I think the last time I was able to get the upgrade price was when the thunderbolt came out.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 2!

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Unfortunately, as stated before, you have to either pay full retail or find a used one online to maintain unlimited. Purchasing subsidized will mean moving into one of their family share or individual gb plans.

Purchased mine outright to maintain unlimited, btw.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If you're on a family plan (like I am) then I had the s4 activated on another line and then once activated transferred to my line. This way I was able to keep my unlimited data plan while getting the s4 at the "new contract" price.

If you are an individual line there is no way around it without buying the phone at full retail price, buying it used, or possibly opening a second line and then transferring the s4 over to your line. Using the upgrade on your specific line AND keeping unlimited data is no longer an option.

m3incorp

Reaction score
Are you using the s4? I do plan to use a lot of games and videos on it. Right now I'm pretty sure I have unlimited texting.
I am using the S4 but I play few games and don't really watch videos. Like I said, I'm also on WiFi a lot, so minimum data use there.