No Speed Dial?

db83

Reaction score
There's no speed dial on the moto droid? I know there's something called direct dialing, where you basically put a link on the home page to call a person, but that would take up a whole lot of desktop space.

Trip

Reaction score
You can put them into a folder, then they only take up one spot on the home page.

But pertaining to your origional question, the droid uses what they call contact favorites instead of speed dial. You can mark 10 of your contacts as favorites and when you go into the dialer just hit the favorites tab at the top of the screen and there they are, click on one and it dials them.

Troy

Reaction score
I use the speed dial app, which like you say, puts an icon on the desktop. But beings you're allowed 3 screens of icons, it's not a big deal.

aW8

Reaction score
Also there's the starred contacts folder you can place on the home screen. I know it's not a true speed dialer, but it's an option for quickly finding favorites.

OP
D

db83

Reaction score
ok. fair enough. kinda confused as to how the makers didn't see it fit to put a long hold # speeddial system though. I thought cell phone users would be pretty much expecting that in every phone by now.

canyoufindben

Reaction score
There are also Home replacement apps like Open Home, where the full version allows 3, 5 or 7 workspaces. I set mine on 5 and one page is devoted to direct dial shortcuts, and another devoted to my most used bookmarks.

OP
D

db83

Reaction score
does the app slow down the phone at all? and does it need to remain open to have those extra desktops?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
does the app slow down the phone at all? and does it need to remain open to have those extra desktops?

Slow down..YMMV
Remain Open...Yes

lorenzo

Reaction score
How do you direct dial using speakerphone(in the car)

lkdroid

Reaction score
Direct Dial Short cuts/starred contacts folder?

There are also Home replacement apps like Open Home, where the full version allows 3, 5 or 7 workspaces. I set mine on 5 and one page is devoted to direct dial shortcuts, and another devoted to my most used bookmarks.

Hi,

I just installed the GDE home screen app and wanted to use one screen of the seven to put frequently called contacts either in the form of their pics or names. Canyoufindben mentioned that in Open Home he created direct dial shortcuts, how do you create shortcuts or put starred contacts into a folder on one of the workspaces?

Yes, I'm very much a newbie and need some hand holding here, so be gentle and specific :)

Thanks in advance!
lk

altacool

Reaction score
just hold down on your workspace and then select shortcuts, then direct dial. You can also create folders. Don't know about putting starred contacts into the folders

canyoufindben

Reaction score
Indeed, the shortcuts I created were not limited to Open Home. Its standard android.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

Hi,

I just installed the GDE home screen app and wanted to use one screen of the seven to put frequently called contacts either in the form of their pics or names. Canyoufindben mentioned that in Open Home he created direct dial shortcuts, how do you create shortcuts or put starred contacts into a folder on one of the workspaces?

Yes, I'm very much a newbie and need some hand holding here, so be gentle and specific :)

Thanks in advance!
lk

If you add the application dock widget in GDE you can put several shortcuts into it. It takes up 4 spaces, but it'll handle more than that.

danhur

Reaction score
Am I missing something? Speed dial works Great for me.
I push the microphone button say the words call so and so and it automatically dials the number. It pauses a cpl seconds to make sure you got the right one and the dials automatically. For me its super accurate. Awesome feature.