No Sound from External Speaker

JQSEsq

Reaction score
Verizon Reps

I've found that the absolutely essential thing is finding a nice, honest rep in a store to talk face to face to. I had a Nexus, went through so many pointless phone calls, got completely different answers, and lies about them not having problems with the nexus. I went into a store, happened to get a really nice employee, told her I had a defective nexus, and she told me that 90% of their nexuses have been returned. Also told me I could sell my nexus to Verizon to decrease the cost of getting a Razr Maxx (which I love, except for this sound issue). Basically I found that the Verizon reps on the phone generally will just try and get rid of you; I even talked to the "executive customer service office" (whatever that is), and they were no more helpful than anyone else. So, if you haven't already, I'd try just going to stores and talking to employees. Some of them won't be very helpful, but some will, and in general I've found they're much more honest than Verizon customer reps on the phone.

tdgobux

Reaction score
this worked for me too

my Maxx is 24 hours old and it happeneed to me...BUT in my case, I figured it out. It seems to be hardware related. On the back, locate the wide slim speaker, just beneath that, on the plastic carbon fiber material, rub your finger left to right as if you're sealing an envelope. Mine fixed immediately!!! Good luck!

amazing - was about to factory reset when i found this - save me alot of time.

amerind2007

Reaction score
This Happened to me following ICS update

My phone started bugging out following ics and the no sound happened quite often, try taking a screenshot using the power and volume down keys it used to somehow solve the issue temporarily.

elton.sucek

Reaction score
Unfortunatelly it didn't work.

The sound was ok yesterday all day long, but this morning the alarm didn't work again. As always, a reboot solved the problem.

It's funny it is happening in the morning, maybe something happens at night. I'm starting to think it may be related to juice defender or smart actions, as someone said in later posts.

Just did a factory reset and will test my phone for a few days before installing juice defender or setting up a smart action.

Let's see.

As promised, I did a factory reset and used my Razr without Juice Defender and Smart Action for a few days and the problem didn't show up. Now I installed Juice Defender again (my battery was almost begging) and will test for a few more days.

As I used Juice Defender for a long time before this problem started, so I don't think it is the cause of it. I think in my case it MAY be a problem with several app controlling the sound at the same time (Smart Actions and Easy Reminder).

But, let's see... I'll keep updating with my "findings".

Cheers

OP
T

tz34mb

Reaction score
Finally stopped working all together...

After dealing with this issue since the begining, my speaker finally became pretty much unworkable. It got to the point where the only way it could produce sound is if I constantly pressed against the speaker, and the second I moved my finger it would stop working. This was really annoying as the only way to functionaly use the phone was to put it on speaker phone was pressing against the physical speaker. Not very convienent!

Traded in my phone (looking back, I should have done this right away and saved some missed alarms and calls) for a refurbished... Received that, and the speaker worked great but the battery did not work on it! Even tried all the battery fixes (ICS update) and Battery training, but would still drain after 6 hours! Traded that one in, and my 3rd Maxx works perfect so far! No issues with the speaker or battery.

If you are having the issue with your external speaker where pressing against it will bring it back temporarily, it will eventually stop working all together. I would strongly recommend not waiting for it to fail totaly and exchange it for a good one prior to when it gets to the point of no return!

Also, I had no issues getting new ones sent out.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I agree with tz... the speaker not working unless you press on the back by the speaker is a hardware defect and should be replaced.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

SammyQ2

Reaction score
My replacement MAAX just came up with the same problem this week! I was having some unrelated battery drainage issues with my original MAAX. I called Verizon on Monday and they promptly sent out a replace phone. So far, so good.
It took me almost two days to get my phone back to where I wanted it. Restoring apps, data, passwords, home screens, etc. A real pain.
Last evening, Friday, I was dismayed to find, when I made my first call using the speaker phone, the speaker did not work. I immediately did a Google search and found this thread. I saw the comments about pressing the phone under the speaker and sure enough, the speaker kicked in. The exact same symptom, so I would say yes, there is an intermittent contact problem for the speaker.
It is very possible that this replacement phone has already been through the mill for the very same problem. I am going to take the phone to the local Verizon store and see if I can talk them into giving me a NEW replacement phone instead of a reconditioned unit. I'm also hoping they can transfer all my data more easily than I can here at home.
I'll report back with the results.
What do you expect for a $300 phone?
Sam

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If you haven't sent back your original Maxx yet, I would recommend trying to correct your battery problems with that. It is possibly the problem was something as simple as recalibrating the meter for the battery. The problem may only be that the battery meter was not accurately reporting the state of charge (ie. reporting 30% when true battery level may have been 80%). If you still have your original phone, try:

*With phone off, charge to 100%
*turn phone on and use til the low battery warning (10%).
*turn phone off and charge till 100% again.
*turn phone on, use and charge as normally would.

There are also settings and conflicts that are known to cause excessive battery drain, which are easily corrected.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

SammyQ2

Reaction score
If you haven't sent back your original Maxx yet, I would recommend trying to correct your battery problems with that.

Too late, darn!. I already sent my original one back. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will post a new one about the styrange circumstances that made it drain.

I went to Verizon today and I couldn't talk them into giving me a new MAAX and he just put in the order for a replacement. When I get the new one, the first thing I will do is to thump on the speaker and see how it performs.

Sam

elton.sucek

Reaction score
Unfortunatelly it didn't work.

The sound was ok yesterday all day long, but this morning the alarm didn't work again. As always, a reboot solved the problem.

It's funny it is happening in the morning, maybe something happens at night. I'm starting to think it may be related to juice defender or smart actions, as someone said in later posts.

Just did a factory reset and will test my phone for a few days before installing juice defender or setting up a smart action.

Let's see.

Updating, unfortunately, I confirmed is not an issue with Juice Defender and Smart Acions.

Now I'm trying MIUI rom to see if changing ROM will solve the problem.

Cheers

adriscol

Reaction score
I just had a sound issue on my Razr Maxx. I found that there was no sounds for dialing or touching the screen from the external speaker. I then checked and my volume (s) were all the way down. I raised the volumes and still not sound from the external speaker, they would work when I plugged in my headset. After playing around for awhile and getting ready for the Factory Restore process (which I have performed many times to get ride of junk), I tried the last item. I put the phone into silent mode and then back into normal sound mode using the power button. All sound issues went away. I verified this to be the issue buy again putting my phone into silent mode, using the power button, and then I went into settings, sound, voulme and raised the lowered settings to max. When I went back to the home screen there were not sounds. I then used the power button to put the phone back into silent mode and then back to normal mode and the sound began to work again.

The one thing that made me think this was a setting or software/firmware issue from the beginning was that even though there were no screen click or dialing sounds, games and ringtones worked normally. Weird but, at least I was able to save myself hours of resetting the phone and then setting up all the accounts and everything to get my phone back to the way I had it.

I hope this helps someone else from going :blink:nuts.
Allen

SammyQ2

Reaction score
One thing I have to say, Verizon sure sends the replacement phones out in a hurry. I went to the Verizon store on Friday to complain about the speaker, and the replacement was in my mailbox on Monday.

So, I have everything switched over to the new phone. I'm actually attaching a note to the old phone, describing the problem for the service contractor. The new RAZR seems to be fine, but time will tell.

Wish me luck.

OP
T

tz34mb

Reaction score
SammyQ2

Hopefully that one works for you.
My 3rd Max seems to be perfect and have no issues with it yet! Hopefully that same can be said for your replacement.

I still love this phone, and feel it was worth the hassel to get one that functions perfectly!