No Sound from External Speaker

taoman54

Reaction score
Keep returning them under warranty. That's the only way moto and verizon will know.

Maybe the refurbs get some more solid connections.
I bought a refurb from eBay. Sound worked initially but then stopped altogether. Found this thread and tried pushing on speaker and sure enough it worked. As soon as I stopped pushing the sound would stop. Put it in a tight fitting case and it worked for about a week and then stopped working again although pushing on the speaker would still get it to work. Sent it in to Motorola for warranty repair (5 business day turnaround) and it's been stellar ever since. If you can't get it replaced by Verizon then Motorola will fix it for free (minus shipping) since it is still under 1-year hardware warranty.

Last edited:

gamedog0425

Reaction score
I had same problem it started yesterday looking at YouTube vids then it happened again today while trying to hear Pandora and I have had my phone since end of Feb and never had an issue since now I restarted up my phone and the sound came back

OP
T

tz34mb

Reaction score
I have kept the same phone from the begining and at least twice a week I would have to press against the speaker to restore sound...however, since the ICS update a few weeks back, my speaker has not failed once.

I understand that based on the evidence here, it looks to be a hardware problem, but it is very odd that my speaker would stop working multiple times a week, and since the update has been flawless???!!!

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just a coincidence??

gamedog0425

Reaction score

elton.sucek

Reaction score
There is an issue with a lot of Android phones where the OS thinks the headphone is being plugged in and unplugged on its own. Try this free application to resolve it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.woodslink.android.wiredheadphoneroutingfix

It seems we have 2 kinds of problem.

1- Speaker with bad contact (the pressing solves the problem for a time)
2- Headphone jack or control (reboot solves the problem for a time)

Mine is in the 2nd option, everytime I use my headphones i have this "no sound" problem, that is solved with a reboot or dozen 'connect and disconnect' headphones. I never tried this pressing the speaker...

I feel really frustrated, because I use this phone as alarm to wake up (woke up late a few times already) and it seems even sending to the assistance will not really solve the problem.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
First welcome to the forum Elton. Your second headphone problem may actually be lint or debris in the headphone jack. There have been a few people who have discovered this and successfully fixed it by very very carefully removing it. Our very own SallyC had success with the same problem. Her husband used a very fine drill bit and very gently & carefully twirled the lint out of the jack. Do not try to blow it out because you could force it in deeper.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

elton.sucek

Reaction score
First welcome to the forum Elton. Your second headphone problem may actually be lint or debris in the headphone jack. There have been a few people who have discovered this and successfully fixed it by very very carefully removing it. Our very own SallyC had success with the same problem. Her husband used a very fine drill bit and very gently & carefully twirled the lint out of the jack. Do not try to blow it out because you could force it in deeper.

I tried to do that a few dasys earlier, but didn't find anything. I tried again after you suggested and now I pulled over so much lint that maybe I'll make a shirt. Let's see if it solves the problem for good.

Thank you very much!

elton.sucek

Reaction score
A lot of Android phones are having this issue. Try this app and see if it works. The Pro version lets you route sound during phone calls too!

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.woodslink.android.wiredheadphoneroutingfix

Thank you for the suggestion.

Yes, I read some people are using this, but it's just a turnaround, don't solve the real problem. I'll use as my last resort.

The true is that I simply can't accept something like that, this phone was not cheap.

dmwoods

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestiion, I read some people are using this, but it's just a turnaround, don't solve the real problem. I'll use as my last resort.

The true is that I simply can't accept something like that, this phone was not cheap.

I hear you. I was ticked when it first happened. I decided to come up with a way to make my phone usable until a permanent fix came about after hearing replacement phones still had the issue.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
elton.sucek said:
I tried to do that a few dasys earlier, but didn't find anything. I tried again after you suggested and now I pulled over so much lint that maybe I'll make a shirt. Let's see if it solves the problem for good.

Thank you very much!

I hope that fixes it for you. I know that those that discovered this problem seemed to remain problem free. Keep us posted.

elton.sucek

Reaction score
Unfortunatelly it didn't work.

The sound was ok yesterday all day long, but this morning the alarm didn't work again. As always, a reboot solved the problem.

It's funny it is happening in the morning, maybe something happens at night. I'm starting to think it may be related to juice defender or smart actions, as someone said in later posts.

Just did a factory reset and will test my phone for a few days before installing juice defender or setting up a smart action.

Let's see.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Excellent idea! I am curious to know if and which one it could be. I know I have SA set now on night mode and my alarm comes through. But I have It set for calls to come through too.

altjx

Reaction score
Interesting. I haven't read through the 9 pages, but I can definitely state that I've had this issue multiple times myself. For example, sometimes the phone may mute itself to where I can't hear anything at all. The minute I turn off the phone, the music may start playing -- but by then, it's too late and the phone is already in the process of turning off, lol.

ms4teacher

Reaction score
edoublep said:
my Maxx is 24 hours old and it happeneed to me...BUT in my case, I figured it out. It seems to be hardware related. On the back, locate the wide slim speaker, just beneath that, on the plastic carbon fiber material, rub your finger left to right as if you're sealing an envelope. Mine fixed immediately!!! Good luck!

My dude!! I dropped my phone with an otter box defender case and my external speaker stopped working altogether...Sure enough I rubbed the external speaker with my finger tip and ran a YouTube video and Voila!!! Sound is back!! Hardware definitely!!! Thanks edouble p!!

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums