No Sound from External Speaker

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Confirmed, speaker is only connected by pressure contacts. See photos and note small silver blocks positioned diagonally from one another with Gold tabs, about middle bottom right...

View attachment 48503

In this shot, you'll see the case coming apart and the space at the bottom left far corner is the space you're looking at above, with the speaker still inside the case top just now being pried off by the left hand.

View attachment 48504

And here you'll see the same image of the motherboard as above but this time, the speaker would be bottom left corner as the phone is held upside-down and with back facing you.

View attachment 48505

MrGibbins

Reaction score
Had a feeling it was a design flaw.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Had a feeling it was a design flaw.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Here's a close-up of the speaker mounting and the actual speaker still visible in the case cover on the left as the case is being removed.

(click on image for larger view)

View attachment 48508

weatherlover1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Well this could be a big issue if more speakers start failing..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Here are two even better images of the speaker and you can actually see the Gold contact points on the motherboard and corresponding Gold contact points on the speaker itself in these images.

View attachment 48533View attachment 48534

edoublep

Reaction score
Here are two even better images of the speaker and you can actually see the Gold contact points on the motherboard and corresponding Gold contact points on the speaker itself in these images.

View attachment 48533View attachment 48534

Thank you for your hard work!!! Well, since this appears to be a design flaw, any ideas? Does some sort of conductive glue exist? Thoughts anyone?

MrGibbins

Reaction score
Well got my new Razr Maxx in yesterday. So far so good on sound and this one doesn't have the black spotting. The spotting didn't bug me but at least this new phone so far has corrected two problems. Hope the speaker won't act up in ~2 weeks like my first one.

ecsrun

Reaction score
Same problem here.. Brand new motorola razr maxx. The speaker will stop working at least a few times a week. I have to press on the rear speaker and slide my finger over it for the sound to start working again.

It makes this almost worthless as a business phone because I am always worrying about it not ringing when I have a crucial call. Now I wish I had gotten a different phone.

ASaint

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Decided to call Verizon today about the speaker issue. Not surprising they have not heard of the problem and have not perfomed any actions to eleviate the issue from new or existing devices. Which means that any phone ordered for replacement could have the same defect. I was advised by Verizon to {if I could}
hold off on ordering a replacement until they could get it in the pipeline as a hardware malfuction. The Verizon Rep said I would be kept informed of the progress in this matter, and that if for any reason I needed to replace the phone I could, and that any subsequent malfunction would be honored under the 1 year warranty.

... In the meantime I have cut a piece of foam rubber and placed it around the speaker so the case back now acts as a pressure point to keep the contacts connected, it seems to be working for now....
Hope this helps
Tony

monkey_man

Reaction score
hahaha nothing new response from Verizon. I bet that never heard about a certain issue is on their number 1 guideline list. I experienced that answer plenty from my Bionic's day. This is bad when the speaker connections are constructed like that. Motorola R&D department and their bad design... *sigh* this is getting more of a habit from them. They are so lucky that they are not dealing with Apple users... dancedroid:icon_ devil:

erzebet

Reaction score
no such luck

Not saying all the phones before the end of Feb where fine it just seemed the people that got them started to have sound issues 2-3 weeks later where there was nothing mentioned about it before. Hopefully it was just a minor thing and all is good now! :)

I ordered mine on the 16th, got it approximately 7 days later (can't remember the exact day) and I am also experiencing this issue. It actually started a couple days after I got the phone but I thought it was just some settings that needed to be changed. I normally keep my phone on silent so the speaker doesn't get very much use. This morning went to send a voice recording to my boyfriend and it wouldn't play, so I started up pandora. Nothing. I was listening to pandora all night at work and the speaker was working fine. I tried pressing on the back and the sound came on for about 30 seconds then went back off and I can't get it to come back no matter how much I press or rub. A case will not help this issue. I have had an Otterbox Defender on my phone from the very beginning. I love my phone so this has me quite down. It's good I caught it now tho, as I use my phone as my alarm clock and I have to work tonight.

Tflad

Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed that my Droix Razr MAXX was not making sounds when I expected it to make sound (streaming audio). I got mine the week they were introduced (late Jan?) and have listened to it extensively. First noticed a problem when my wife called and said I didn't answer (speaker plays ringtone), then after watching Netflix with no problem, went to listen to audio-no sound! Looked here in the forum and saw this thread. Appears this is the case with mine. I have insurance (from owning my previous Blackberry) it is getting replaced, but this is definitely a problem that should not exist and that Motorola should address. My Razr has never been dropped, it is always in my pocket, in the car dock or on the nightstand.

Advertising "gorilla glass" and kevlar would indicate that this phone can take heavy use, when in fact light use will also cause the problem.

I love the android operating system and this phone for the size of the screen and its thin design. As retired Air Force, I have trusted Motorola for many years (their radios were demonstrated by throwing them across the flightline and immediately using them-they held up).

The problem is exactly as the Moderator has described. I am not willing to break into the case and attempt fixing it-Motorola should do that.

erzebet

Reaction score
please notify Verizon!

I called and am getting a replacement. When I got thru to tech support I went straight into telling them exactly what is causing the problem. People have to realize they can't just say "my sound isn't working." A tech will troubleshoot and determine that it's a hardware issue and issue a replacement. The end. So how is it that people expect anyone to know WHY it's happening? I didn't even let they'll waste the time troubleshooting. I quickly explained the design flaw the people who have taken these phones apart have discovered and wasactually thanked by the tech. She literally thanked me for explaining it, said she's glad she got me, and has notified both Verizon and motorola that this is a widely known issue.

Floridared

Reaction score
Have the sound problem with external speaker. Took it to store today and of coarse it worked as soon as rep took phone out of case. :icon_evil: but once I got home and tried to use speaker phone; no go. Now after reading forum I tried deleting all apps involved with sound and still nothing. But then I got to this post that talked about rubbing finger just below speaker and voila speaker worked instantly. Has quit working since and I have taken out of case and rubbed again and instant fix. So must be a hardware issue for sure.