no sound after unplugging headphones?

maddmetalmike

Reaction score
ok, so I noticed this recently after upgrading the 2.0 software. I listen to music constantly at work, and when I unplug my headphones to make a call after listening to music the call timer starts but I cant hear any dial tone or the person on the other end. the only way I have found to reset this is to shut the phone completely off for a few minutes then restart.....quite the pain in the butt for the privledge of using your phone as a phone! anyone else experience this, or have any suggestions?

Xerozix

Reaction score
I'm hitting this same problem too. I'm taking in my phone to get it checked out. Do they transfer applications if they replace the phone?

I also hit a problem that causes the headphone Jack to be VERY jittery, it switches from stereo to mono and back and goes into shuffle and global shuffle without warning.

darreno1

Reaction score
This seems to be a rather common issue with a lot of smartphones. The 3g had the same issue and the way to fix it was to put the headphones back in and take it out again (several times if necessary). The Pre had similar issues and their way of dealing with it was to launch something like Pandora with the headphones in a pull it out. I haven't run into this yet though on the Droid but I won't be surprised if it does happen at least once.

bigthinker

Reaction score
I believe they do not transfer applications when you take it to get it swapped....photos and contacts yes, but I don't think applications...I hope I am wrong.

Xerozix

Reaction score
Oh then I think I might just stick with the problem :/ I don't want to lose my robo defense scores...

srothkin

Reaction score
ok, so I noticed this recently after upgrading the 2.0 software. I listen to music constantly at work, and when I unplug my headphones to make a call after listening to music the call timer starts but I cant hear any dial tone or the person on the other end. the only way I have found to reset this is to shut the phone completely off for a few minutes then restart.....quite the pain in the butt for the privledge of using your phone as a phone! anyone else experience this, or have any suggestions?

Nice workaround -- don't unplug the headphones to make a call! The incoming audio will go to your headphones and the regular phone mic will pick up your voice -- just hold the phone near your face and talk to it. Nice undocumented feature!:icon_ banana:

spalding12

Reaction score
my first treo 755p did this
and, even after a great deal of manipulation, would NEVER work again... and had to be replaced

all the "switching" going on
smartphones STILL don't seem to be an "exact science"
i hope that a significant number of droids won't have this issue.

godfothr69

Reaction score
another unwritten feature is to hook your droid to your car stereo using a auxillary cord, you can listen to music, and use the phone as a handsfree device. It's works pretty good. Also if your using the Navigation, and listening to music, it automatically pauses the music to tell you directions over your car speakers.

Xerozix

Reaction score
Hmm, do apps like my lookout backup apps too?

How long/hard is it to replace a phone? What do I need to take?

JayMonster

Reaction score

Nice workaround -- don't unplug the headphones to make a call! The incoming audio will go to your headphones and the regular phone mic will pick up your voice -- just hold the phone near your face and talk to it. Nice undocumented feature!:icon_ banana:

Actually, I think you hit on the actual problem with your solution (which is actually what I have always done, just take the call the same way you are listening to music... there is no "need" to take out the headphones.

But the problem (bug) is that there are two competing things going on here. The music player by default pauses on an incoming call and possibly locks the sound to whatever output is in place at that time (headphones), and when you remove the headset, the sound is still locked there.

Note also how your music player stops (or at least pauses) when you remove a headset. If that same API activates when you are switching to a call, your call may be "paused" (which of course is a bad thing).

Definitely an issue, but one that only crops up in this specific use case... so it will probably be resolved... eventually.

zepfan

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I haven't been able to fixit unless I restart either. Very frustrating.