NO SIM error after water damage to phone

ShadyZero

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So a couple of days ago some baja blast slushie got knocked over onto my phone when I was sleeping. Not much got onto it (not even 1/4 of it was spilled), but some of it seeped inside the case and sat there overnight. In the morning, my phone would no longer boot. Since then, I've replaced the battery and it boots up just fine. However - I'm now getting a "No SIM - Insert SIM card" error on my phone. I have tried drying out the phone and have even replaced the SIM card tray on the phone, but i'm still receiving the error. All functions on the phone seem to work fine except ones that require a signal. Aslo, I know my SIM card itself is functioning fine. When tested on other devices it is detected just fine, while other SIMs inserted into mine aren't.

US Cellular is my carrier and I do not have any kind of insurance on the phone. Does anyone know any possible solutions I can try to fix it? Or places in places on the device in particular I could try cleaning with isopropyl alcohol? Also, my local phone repair shop offers a water damage service for $90 if successful, and $45 if failed. They told me they use a machine that is used to clean medical equipment to try to fix the erosion. I think he told me it vibrates extremely fast to clean it or something like that. They said they have about a 90% success rate with water damage on phones.

I would like to avoid paying the money to the phone shop if I can just do it myself. And does it sound like something the phone shop could repair? I'm fine spending $90 to have my phone fixed, but if it's most likely going to fail, I would rather save my money to buy a new phone. Please help?

Thanks!!!

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

I assume it had sugar in it? If so there may not be a way to salvage it as you probably haven't seen the long term effects yet. Try taking the SIM out and wiping it and the slot with a damp Q-Tip and let iot dry using a fan for an hour or so.