1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

No secure Wifi after root?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Schoat333, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Schoat333

Schoat333 New Member

I just got my Droid a few days ago, and I have read over all of the hacking threads to learn what is possible.

After reading the many threads on how to root, I decided to follow the method in this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

Everything seemed to go smooth. The phone booted up, and I was able to confirm that I do indeed have root.

The one problem that I noticed was my wifi would not connect to my secure home network. This was working before the root. I tried to delete, then add my network again, but it still would not connect. The only way it will connect is if I turn off my networks security.

I know your going to ask me if I have enetered my networks WEP information correctly, and I can promise you that I have. It seems like the phone can not authenticate the security, and then will not connect if security is on.

Just for the heck of it, I installed wifi tethering, and was able to connect my laptop thru my phone without any problems...

Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? Should I just try to wipe, and reinstall?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Not sure what is causing your issue but no, Root does not affect your ability to have a secure wireless connection.

I have basic WPA2 at home and connect fine and we have a very secure network at work (WPA2-Enterprise using AD accounts) and I can connect to it as well. I've been rooted, overclocked, quite a few different ROMs (2.1 - 2.2).
  3. Schoat333

Schoat333 New Member

I didn't think there was a way that the root itself could cause this, but i'm a noob so I wanted to make sure.

Is it possible that something was corrupt during the install of the update.zip, or would that have cause it to have an error during the install process?

I may have to play around with it and see what I can figure out. Its strange that I can connect to an open network without any trouble tho.
  4. Schoat333

Schoat333 New Member

Sorry for the double post....

I've tried everything, and im still having the same problem. Anytime the encryption is turned on, my droid will not connect.

I have tried a wipe, and reinstall, and it still doesn't work. I think I may try installing Froyo to see if that helps.

The only difference between the 2.1 that came on the phone, and the one I downloaded, from the link in my first post, is root access right?
  5. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Not sure how much you followed from the original post. If you just flashed the .sbf file all you have is SPRecovery and no root. If you continued on and did a restore of a rooted ROM, I don't know what ROM you used.

But...with SPRecovery on the phone it's easy enough to go for 2.2 (which is MUCH nicer than any 2.1 ROM out). Just hit the News section for the Even More Froyo.. here..
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/55467-even-more-froyo.html
    and get the FRF84B Froyo and you'll be good to go.
  6. Schoat333

Schoat333 New Member

I did go all the way thru to root. I installed the updated.zip that was linked in that thread. It says it is simply a stock 2.1 with root.

Thanks for the link, I will try 2.2 and see if it fixes my problems.
  7. Schoat333

Schoat333 New Member

ok, I'm running 2.2, but I still had the same problem. I decided to reboot my router, turn on SSID broadcasting, and let the droid find it automatically. Then I turned WEP back on, and turned off the SSID broadcast. Now it works flawlessly....

I guess it doesn't like to connect to a network that it cannot see.
  8. phoenix316

phoenix316 New Member

I have had a lot of newer devices that simply have issues connecting to WEP.

WPA is more secure and seems to be much more compatible with newer devices.
Search tags for this page
get all secure wifi on android no root
isntalled pacman rom but my wifi wont connect to any wifi co

kindle after root will not connect to wireless

my phone wont connect to wifi after installing pacman rom
nook color wifi will not turn on#gsc.tab
rooted android secured wifi
rooted droid lookout secure site connection