No recovery menu

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by therock, Feb 8, 2010.

1. therock

therock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just looking to backup 2.0.1 and tried the boot holding X and get a splat in a triangle next to a phone icon.

Bone stock phone.
  2. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    at that point you need to press the volume+ and camera buttons
  3. therock

therock Member

Ratings:
    +0

Thank You,

I did advance into a system recovery menu.

I have a yellow message under the splat.
    E: Can't open /cache/recovery/command

Up top I have 4 options,

1. reboot system now
    2. apply sdcard:update.zip
    3. wipe data/factory reset
    4. wipe cache partition
    Whats it all about?
  4. shademar

shademar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The creation of nandroid backups requires a modified version of the recovery console, sprecovery, and a rooted droid. Stock recovery doesn't allow it.
  5. therock

therock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for helping. At least I got in to see it.
  6. yankees2009

yankees2009 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got the same thing as therock did! how can i do a backup???
  7. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    You can't. You need to root your phone, and install the SPRecovery partition. At this point, you can use Nandroid to create a complete image of your phone's partitions.
  8. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah you guys gotta do a few more things before you can make a nandroid backup...
  9. rcbjr2

rcbjr2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What can one do if pressing camera and + does not bring you to the menu to run update.zip?? I keep getting the exclamation point in a triangle, but can't seem to advance past that and I have to take the battery out to do anything else. Thx.
  10. adsfa34

adsfa34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can also use ClockworkMod Recovery, flashable using ROM Manager. Just as stable IMO. Used Clockwork itself a LOT (probably too much...) with no issues. Do not flash using ROM Manager -- it has a lot of problems and can break your recovery and create all kinds of problems for you.

If you want to apply an unsigned update.zip, you will need ROOT privileges ( / http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html) and a custom recovery such as SPRecovery or ClockworkMod Recovery. The second link on "how to root regardless of OS" flashes SPRecovery. In using SPRecovery, you must place the update on the root of your sdcard (/sdcard) and rename to update.zip. Using CWMod Recovery, you can name it anything and it doesn't have to be on the root directory of your sdcard (can be in a folder).
  11. rcbjr2

rcbjr2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I installed ROM Manager and then tried to install ClockworkMod Recovery, but it won't install. I keep getting errors when Superuser process crashes. If I don't get that error, I get an error that there was a problem asking for privileges. It's probably because I used Z4 to one-click root the phone. Is there some way to force a reinstall of Superuser? I've searched, but all I've seen are some complicated processes. I'm trying to get back to a stock 2.2 so that the OTA update will install, but I can't ever get to any recovery module to install the 2.2 update.zip. I get the exclaimation point, but pressing camera and up does not do anything. Ah, what a mess. Maybe taking the phone back to Verizon (after turning off root and deleting as many of the ROM apps I have), they could zap it back to the default state? It's a Doid 1 by the way. Thanks.
  12. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First off, please dont dig up threads that are 10 months old.

If youre getting the triangle and exclamation point you arent rooted, hence the reason why you cant install a recovery via rom manager. If you want to get back to a vanilla froyo build just look for the Froyo SBF file and flash it, it will completely remove everything and return the phone to stock.
  13. rcbjr2

rcbjr2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure how my reply wound up in this thread. I was having a conversation in another thread and next thing I know my reply was in this one. I'm glad you found it even though it's ten months old.

With respect to being rooted, I used Z4 (or whatever it's called) to root the phone again. ROM Manager still wouldn't install ClockworkMod(?). I kept getting crashes from Superuser and other errors. It's probably all messed up because I used Z4. I plan to do the stock SBF recovery eventually but I assume it wipes everything out so I don't relish reinstalling all my apps, but I do have MyBackUp so that should help. I only tried to do this so that the 2.2.1 update would install, but not sure that's worth all the hassle.
Search tags for this page
android no recovery
android no recovery menu
android no system recovery menu

android recovery no menu

droid razr. no menu in recovery
motorola droid 2 recovery menu

motorola droid recovery menu

motorola droid x2 no recovery menu
motorola milestone recovery mode - won't enter menu
no recovery menu android