No portable hotspot option on FRF84b

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DarthMurdicide, Jul 2, 2010.

1. DarthMurdicide

DarthMurdicide New Member

No portable hotspot option on FRG01B as well?

See below, I originally started this thread for an earlier build, but I am wondering if the same thing still applies to FRG01B, since press releases I've seen on the Droid 2 say it has a portable hotspot option; do you think that option is only going to be ad-hoc, and not infrastructure?

Honestly, I tried as much as possible to find something on this, but could not, so, please, if it has been discussed, excuse the redundancy.

I saw a video on you tube of someone showing 2.2 on a phone other than the Droid. There was an option under "Wireless & networks" showing "Tethering and portable hotspot." When I installed FRF84b, that option only says "Tethering." It seems the portable hotspot option was not included in this rom / disabled, is that correct? And if I am right in my assumption, is there a build out there I can get for my rooted Verizon Droid that supports portable hotspot?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

The phone in the vid you saw was probably the Droid X not Moto Droid. Moto Droid does not have this option natively.

If you're rooted you can downloaded wireless tether for root users. Works great. If not, no option.

FYI. The native Tethering option for FRF84B will not work. You can search the web for Wired tehering for root users if you want that option.
  3. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

Yea there is an app on the market for rooted droids called wireless tether which will make your phone a wireless hot spot i use it and it's actually pretty quick internet for your laptop or whatever you connect to the wifi
  4. kpiskin

kpiskin New Member

5. DarthMurdicide

I appreciate the responses, but from what I have been able to glean, apps like Wifi Tether only create an ad-hoc connection, which is not supported by devices like the PSP. I was hoping to wirelessly connect my PSP to my Droid for PSP internet access, but it doesn't look like you can do that without the Droid being a "true" hotspot; this has been a great learning experience as it seems that "tethering" your Droid doesn't make it a true WIFI hotspot that can be used by something like a PSP. Tethering works only with laptops and the like that support ad-hoc. Which is still kind of weird because there's an ad-hoc mode on the PSP, but apparently that mode only works with other PSP's...

Please someone tell me I'm wrong...
  6. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Wish I could, but you're spot-on on all accounts. Wifi-Tether as we have it only creates ad-hoc hot spots, and it only uses WEP encryption, but the true wifi tether option in froyo would create an AP spot and use WPA if you wanted (but doesn't work on the Droid....yet?)
  7. DarthMurdicide

Stupid question I know, but can you install a 2.2 rom on a Droid designed for another phone (like the N1) that has the "portable hotspot" option under "Wifi & networks"? Are roms "phone-specific"?
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

No, it won't work. The limitation for the wifi hotspot is at a driver level. It's being worked on by various rom developers, though. The wifi hotspot menu item showed up in an older version of Sapphire (0.5 or 0.6.0, I think), but the developers removed it because it doesn't work (yet).
  9. DarthMurdicide

OK, thanks for the confirmations Se7enLC. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misinterpreting what I was reading. Even without the portable hotspot feature on the Droid, I still really dig this Froyo OS!
  10. DarthMurdicide

See above, I originally started this thread for an earlier build, but I am wondering if the same thing still applies to FRG01B, since press releases I've seen on the Droid 2 say it has a portable hotspot option; do you think that option is only going to be ad-hoc, and not infrastructure?
  11. JohnnyDepth

JohnnyDepth New Member

You do understand that the Wireless tether apk available
    (and mentioned above) basically does the same thing in that it
    sees your Droid phone as a wifi hotspot?

I connected all my wireless devices using it.
  12. DarthMurdicide

TBH I haven't tried it recently, but last time I tried Wireless Tether I couldn't connect my PSP to the Droid, because the PSP supports only Ad-Hoc mode with PSP to PSP for head-to-head gaming, and not PSP to Droid for internet access, and when I tried Infrastructure, the PSP wouldn't see my Droid. I'll try it again tonight.
  13. DarthMurdicide

So after about an hour of searching, I've once again come to the conclusion that wireless tethering is not an option between the Droid and the PSP, even with Wireless Tether, unless someone can prove me wrong...
  14. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

That is correct. Droid can only do ad-hoc wireless internet sharing (or bluetooth or wired), and PSP can only connect to infrastructure APs.

The only way to get around that is to use a laptop in between.
  15. caboyzcoti

caboyzcoti New Member

hey jw if u know if its simple enough or possible on a dell hackintosh mini? cause i knew this would be how to do it but haven't spent the time figuring out
  16. add119

add119 New Member

People droid 1 does have an option for tethering not for hotspot though! FYI im not rooted nor have an apps that does that. I can tether from the 2.2 os update. Now portable hotspot you guys dont like rooting like me , going to have to wait for developer to port one in the following month like they did with bluetooth sharing
  17. gflam

gflam Developer Theme Developer Developer

The droid can wifi tether I've used it many times just root and get wifi tether then u don't have to wait
Search tags for this page
android no hot spot option
android no portable hotspot option
can psp work with android hotspots?
does the droid 2.2.3 have mobile hotspot capability
droid 2.2.3 into hotspot
how do you turn on the portable hotspot on a droid version 2
how to connect psp to galaxy hotspot
how to set up a motorola droid 2.2.3 as a hot spot
no hotspot option on android
no hotspot option on old android phone
no portable hotspot feature