No Phone in SS?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Official_n00b, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Official_n00b

Official_n00b Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I finally decided it was time to root my phone again and change to a ChevyNo1 ROM (by recommendations from a friend). Last night I downloaded one of the SS kernals (don't remember if it was 4.7 or 4.8, I'll check when I get home).

First I tried to use "ROM Manager" to download the ROM. I click on ChevyNo1 and it gives me this error: "Error occurred while downloading the ROM list! Please contact the developer of this ROM."

Since that didn't work, I downloaded it from SSAndroid, threw it on the SD card as update.zip, booted into recovery, and installed. Everything installed fine and it booted up just fine.

When I was trying to put icons on my home screen, I wanted to add the contacts icon. I looked in the menu and it wasn't there. This confused me and made me wonder if it deleted all my phone numbers. So I went back to the home screen and pressed the "phone icon" on the bottom of the screen. It came up with an error that said the function was not installed on this device.

Has anyone else had this problem? What did I do wrong and how do I get this to work?

2. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Whhaaaaaaa?

Look in /system/app .. you should see a Phone.apk and a Contacts.apk

Did you wipe?

3. Official_n00b

Official_n00b Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is version SS v4.8. I've tried to find SS v4.7 but all the links seem to be dead.

I do find both of those files. When I click on Contacts.apk I get a pop up window with two buttons: "Browse File" and "Open App Manager". I click "Open App Manager" and it brings me to a screen with an install button. I click that and it brings me to another screen that looks like a regular app install screen. I click install, it brings up a thing that says "Installing" and a status bar (this is there for 1-2 seconds). Then is says "Application not installed" and a button that says "Done".

When I installed I wiped cache partition. I was a little hesitant to click wipe factory data b/c I don't want to lose my backup (not sure if that will happen but I'm new to this). Should I click wipe factory data before installing SS v4.8?

4. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Well - first off, you should install 4.9 and not 4.8 ...

Now - before installing 4.9 - run bkapps to save off your settings - then wipe - then install 4.9 - then rstapps

Both can be found in my Tools - let me know if that works!

5. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You don't install like that, If they are in system/app, they are installed.

If you still have issues, wipe then reinstall.

6. Official_n00b

Official_n00b Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When you say "wipe" what exactly do you mean. Does that mean to click "wipe factory data" or "wipe cache" in the recovery reboot? Or should I click both of them?

I'm VERY sorry for the n00b questions here. But can you provide me links where I can download bkapps and SS v4.9.

I've been using this link and it doesn't have v4.9.
    SS Android • View topic - SS Downloads

*EDIT* I have restored back to a stock rooted ROM so I can use my phone for now. So if something needs to be done from SS v4.8 to get to SS v4.9, let me know I have to go back to SS v4.8 first.

#6 Official_n00b, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  7. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes wipe both data and cache from recovery.

On my phone so can't give you a link but if you go to the custom rom section here, Chevy has his own section and there is a thread for 4.9

And you don't need to go to 4.8 first!

Sent using the DF app, from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away

8. Official_n00b

Official_n00b Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I found the thread for SS v4.9 and I'm downloading it now. That also caused me to find bkapps. I'm assuming I throw this on the SD card and install it through the phone? I'll do this later tonight.

When I wipe the factory data and cache, will it keep my backup?

9. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If it's a nandroid backup then yes, those are stored on your sd card and will not be touched during cache and data wipes

Sent using the DF app, from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away

10. Official_n00b

Official_n00b Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, this is most likely a very stupid question. But how to I install bkapps?

I downloaded it as bkapps.zip. Then I threw it onto the root of my SD card. I figured I could browse to it using Astro File Manager, click on it, and it would install. Unfortunately it just opens the .zip file and I can't find an executable file in there.

11. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    It is an update.zip format and must be installed from recovery. Alternatively, you can bust open the zip yourself, extract bkapps, and push it to /system/xbin/chevyno1

12. Official_n00b

Official_n00b Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the QUICK response. I'll rename it update.zip and push it that way.