1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

** NO MORE USB Tethering with new motorola update ** Motorola/Verizon want more cash

Discussion in 'Droid 4 Tech Support' started by bobplane777, Mar 27, 2013.

1. bobplane777

bobplane777 New Member

** NO MORE USB Tethering with new motorola update ** Motorola/Verizon want more cash

Be Aware that if you are currently enjoying tethering your Droid 4 to a USB device (laptop, etc.,) you will no longer be able to do so if you install the new Droid update from Motorola if you are on Verizon. This update DISABLES that feature UNLESS you are a Mobile Hotspot subscriber... Additional $$$$ per month of course,.

I am not sure if there are 3rd party work arounds or not but it sucks... I have been tethering for over a year and have no desire for a HOTSpot additional fee.... it is just another way to get money.
  2. K1ick

K1ick New Member

I'm not sure if this actually works because I only use wifi tethering via the sql hack, but when I went to disable the entitlement check for the wifi hotspot I did notice that there was a usb entitlement check field.. if anyone wants to see if that would allow you to tether via usb without paying then you can. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with usb tethering but from the name of the field I'm assuming it does. Again, I haven't tested this myself but its worth a shot.
  3. bobplane777

bobplane777 New Member

Correct. In the past you could check the entitlement for USB tethering and it worked... now you get the error message... "User has no Subscription" ie., no Hotspot subscription (they have tied the 2 together)... it is no longer free to Tether.
  4. kevsgroove

kevsgroove New Member

This is the reason I will hold off updating my bionic. Need to make sure that Pdanet/Foxfi functions properly.
  5. K1ick

K1ick New Member

Oh I didn't realize that... hmm I wonder why my wifi tether still works then? Seems weird they would fix the USB tether hack but not the wifi tether hack.

Edit: I just booted back into my stock ROM and I checked my settings for entitlement_check and usb_entitlement_check, both values are 0 but only my Wifi tethering works via the tethering settings. The USB tethering comes on and doesn't give me any warning, however it won't actually give my computer any internet connection. I tried it on both my Mac and my PC but neither work.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  6. bobplane777

bobplane777 New Member

WOW... tell me please, how are you tethering using WIFI (if you are not a HOTSPOT).....
  7. K1ick

K1ick New Member

Umm in the settings the mobile wifi hotspot, it works for me without a tethering plan, I just had to change the value under entitlement_check from 1 to 0.. I was using wifi tethering and hotspot interchangeably.
  8. bobplane777

bobplane777 New Member

sorry, I'm new to this .... where are you changing the "value under entitlement_check from 1 to 0 " ... ?? is this a 3rd party program... e.g. sqlite, rooted phone, etc., ? I'm using droid 4
  9. djspy

djspy New Member

I thought Verizon wasn't allowed to charge for this after the FCC ruling? They settled on charging unlimited data plan users only but those with tiered plans couldn't be charged.
  10. bobplane777

bobplane777 New Member

Yeah... I'm on the unlimited plan !! I figured that was who they were after! they want an extra $360 per year on top of the internet access I now have in that older plan... I will never change that plan
  11. K1ick

K1ick New Member

Oh sorry, ya you do need root and you have to download sqlite editor (which I think is about $2 or so) and then scroll down until you see Setting Storage (there will be two that are named Setting Storage pick the one with the hammer) click on it, then in the next page that comes up go into settings and then there should be either 3 or 4 more options that come up, find the one that says settings again, and scroll down until you see entitlement_check and change it from 1 to 0. Then all you need to do is reboot your phone and you should be all set, and just so you know you don't need to keep sqlite editor installed once you have changed the setting, the hack will continue to work unless you do a factory reset or have to SBF your phone. If my instructions aren't very clear or your stuck somewhere, just let me know and ill help you out.
  12. bobplane777

bobplane777 New Member

Hey, I really appreciate the help... your instruction are great... but if I get stuck I may give you a call back here... getting ready to root now with a set of files that several have said work for the latest droid update...
  13. VerizonHater

VerizonHater New Member

Not too sure Verizon can do this

I feel everyone's pain of no longer being able to tether your phone to pc. I too have experienced the same thing on my Motorola RAZR after they updated it. I have been able to tether ever since I got my phone a little over a year ago. Now, they want me to pay an extra $29.99 per month in order to tether!

I think they can charge as long as you have an unlimited data plan. It only make sense because otherwise people's data usage would be way over the top. However, for those of us who do not have an unlimited plan, say for example you pay $30 for 2 gigabytes of data per month, I'm not sure if they can charge a tethering fee in that case. At least that's what I was told by the FCC today when I filed a complaint about this issue.

What pisses me off is I see no difference in whether I use my phone or my computer, via USB tethering, to access the Internet using my 2 GB of data per month which I pay for.

I called Verizon yesterday and was told that I could get a plan which included 6 GB of data a month for about the same price I am paying now. Umm, yeah, like I want to get stuck in another two year contract with them. I am counting the days now until my contract expires early next year. I'd rather go back to my old TracPhone than stay with them.
  14. bobplane777

bobplane777 New Member

Hey.... Foxfi + pdnet installed on the computer you choose to USB connect too and you can connect via USB tethering for free..... just getting ready to ROOT and add other SW but got this free version to work.... wondering how long before motorola screw this one up.
  15. djspy

djspy New Member

Please keep us updated about your complain. I too was of the understanding they could not charge a separate tethering /hot spot fee if you were on a tiered data plan.
  16. kevsgroove

kevsgroove New Member

Good to know. We'll see if that continues when the S4 is released. Time for me to move on from the bionic.
  17. VerizonHater

VerizonHater New Member

I will certainly do that. The representative that I spoke to at the FCC said that it may be 30 to 45 days before I hear anything. But, she said that Verizon would probably respond. She definitely said that they cannot charge a tethering fee as long as you don't have an unlimited plan.

I urge everyone that feels that this is not right to contact the FCC. They can take your complaint right over the phone. The rep I spoke with was very helpful. The number is 888-225-5322. There's an option to make a complaint. I eventually pressed "0" and got to the rep a bit quicker. But, I got right through.
  18. AcridGosling

AcridGosling New Member

Hello, I have a related problems but I may be of help. I have a Samsung galaxy nexus, and it recently upgraded to 4.2.2. My usb tethering on a 4gb a month plan was disabled as well, even though I retained root. However, when I root or flash or anything I use the nexus root toolkit by wugfresh. After a little tinkering I got my usb tethering to work, sorta.

Here's what I did:

1. Connect phone to pc via usb cable.
    2. Open device manager, remove all signs of any phone, adb drivers, etc. Be sure to check under usb devices.
    3. Right click on your computer name at the very top (everyone's is different) and click "scan for hardware changes".
    4. After it installs, unplug usb cable, make sure usb debugging is enabled on the phone, and plug back in. On my phone, I got a message saying computer something is requesting usb debugging permissions. I granted, and said always approve for this computer.
    5. I open my nexus root toolkit (maybe rsd lite would work?), start usb tethering on phone with pdanet, and click connect on pc, and I have verified that I in fact DO have Internet access.

If I close the toolkit I get a socket error in pdanet, and lose the connection.

Maybe you guys can get a workaround from this info. Let me know if you need more info.
  19. audinutt

audinutt New Member

I installed the JBHD 2.0 rom and I can report the usb tethering works fine on this rom.
  20. meek2100

meek2100 New Member

Alright finally got the time to do a Nandroid/Safe Strap Backup for you. This back up is the OTA Stock Jelly Bean 98.72.18 with root and usb, bluetooth, and wifi tethering all working.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_xvg1mYV-6PajExNGw2cXJNRjA/edit?usp=sharing

N
    OTE: If anyone else wants to host this your more than welcome to. I have limited hosting space so I'll eventually have to delete it.​

Search tags for this page
checking subscription status verizon
droid 4 tethering verizon
droid 4 usb tethering
droid bionic usb tethering
is usb tethering free on verizon
tether verizon
usb tether verizon
usb tethering android verizon

usb tethering verizon

usb tethering verizon droid
verizon and tethering android