** NO MORE USB Tethering with new motorola update ** Motorola/Verizon want more cash

djspy

Reaction score
I feel everyone's pain of no longer being able to tether your phone to pc. I too have experienced the same thing on my Motorola RAZR after they updated it. I have been able to tether ever since I got my phone a little over a year ago. Now, they want me to pay an extra $29.99 per month in order to tether!

I think they can charge as long as you have an unlimited data plan. It only make sense because otherwise people's data usage would be way over the top. However, for those of us who do not have an unlimited plan, say for example you pay $30 for 2 gigabytes of data per month, I'm not sure if they can charge a tethering fee in that case. At least that's what I was told by the FCC today when I filed a complaint about this issue.

What pisses me off is I see no difference in whether I use my phone or my computer, via USB tethering, to access the Internet using my 2 GB of data per month which I pay for.

I called Verizon yesterday and was told that I could get a plan which included 6 GB of data a month for about the same price I am paying now. Umm, yeah, like I want to get stuck in another two year contract with them. I am counting the days now until my contract expires early next year. I'd rather go back to my old TracPhone than stay with them.

Please keep us updated about your complain. I too was of the understanding they could not charge a separate tethering /hot spot fee if you were on a tiered data plan.

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Hey.... Foxfi + pdnet installed on the computer you choose to USB connect too and you can connect via USB tethering for free..... just getting ready to ROOT and add other SW but got this free version to work.... wondering how long before motorola screw this one up.

Good to know. We'll see if that continues when the S4 is released. Time for me to move on from the bionic.

VerizonHater

Reaction score
Please keep us updated about your complain. I too was of the understanding they could not charge a separate tethering /hot spot fee if you were on a tiered data plan.

I will certainly do that. The representative that I spoke to at the FCC said that it may be 30 to 45 days before I hear anything. But, she said that Verizon would probably respond. She definitely said that they cannot charge a tethering fee as long as you don't have an unlimited plan.

I urge everyone that feels that this is not right to contact the FCC. They can take your complaint right over the phone. The rep I spoke with was very helpful. The number is 888-225-5322. There's an option to make a complaint. I eventually pressed "0" and got to the rep a bit quicker. But, I got right through.

AcridGosling

Reaction score
Hello, I have a related problems but I may be of help. I have a Samsung galaxy nexus, and it recently upgraded to 4.2.2. My usb tethering on a 4gb a month plan was disabled as well, even though I retained root. However, when I root or flash or anything I use the nexus root toolkit by wugfresh. After a little tinkering I got my usb tethering to work, sorta.

Here's what I did:

1. Connect phone to pc via usb cable.
2. Open device manager, remove all signs of any phone, adb drivers, etc. Be sure to check under usb devices.
3. Right click on your computer name at the very top (everyone's is different) and click "scan for hardware changes".
4. After it installs, unplug usb cable, make sure usb debugging is enabled on the phone, and plug back in. On my phone, I got a message saying computer something is requesting usb debugging permissions. I granted, and said always approve for this computer.
5. I open my nexus root toolkit (maybe rsd lite would work?), start usb tethering on phone with pdanet, and click connect on pc, and I have verified that I in fact DO have Internet access.

If I close the toolkit I get a socket error in pdanet, and lose the connection.

Maybe you guys can get a workaround from this info. Let me know if you need more info.

audinutt

Reaction score
I installed the JBHD 2.0 rom and I can report the usb tethering works fine on this rom.

meek2100

Reaction score
Alright finally got the time to do a Nandroid/Safe Strap Backup for you. This back up is the OTA Stock Jelly Bean 98.72.18 with root and usb, bluetooth, and wifi tethering all working.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_xvg1mYV-6PajExNGw2cXJNRjA/edit?usp=sharing

N
OTE: If anyone else wants to host this your more than welcome to. I have limited hosting space so I'll eventually have to delete it.​

VerizonHater

Reaction score

I was contacted by a Verizon rep the other day. Basically, per their tech support, they are saying that I should never have been able to tether to access the Internet, unless I used a third-party app. I was not doing that, I told her.

I think that, as pleasant and helpful as she tried to be, she was running interference.

It seems bizarre to me that I didn't have this issue until my phone's system updated itself. Coincidence? I think not. Especially when others have had the same issue.

I'm not happy with Verizon at all. I've tried to install pdanet, which she had recommended, but it will not install or work. I say eff the whole thing for now.

In eight-nine months it won't matter. I'll be ditching Verizon when my contract comes up for renewal. I'd terminate now but I don't want to give them any more money than I have to.

djspy

Reaction score
Lies! When I first got my OG RAZR I called to make sure if it was perfectly for me to use the built in USB tether and they said it was Ok because I had a 4G phone.

Do the math if you want to cancel your contract. How much is the early termination fee? Multiply the amount you pay a month times the number of months left on your contract. You might end up giving them more money if you stay.

VerizonHater

Reaction score
Lies! When I first got my OG RAZR I called to make sure if it was perfectly for me to use the built in USB tether and they said it was Ok because I had a 4G phone.

Do the math if you want to cancel your contract. How much is the early termination fee? Multiply the amount you pay a month times the number of months left on your contract. You might end up giving them more money if you stay.

No doubt that I would save money by terminating early. If it were that easy. My wife and I share our plan. Of course, the family plan is cheaper than a single user plan-person for person. We'll see.

I am going try Easy Tether. Pdanet just won't work for me. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app; all to no avail. So, I have d/loaded ET and will try it when I get a chance. If that fails, I will look for and try other apps. I just want to be able to tether via USB.

djspy

Reaction score
I forgot to mention this, FoxFi works with Jellybean now. No need to root. I think you can USB Tether with it.

VerizonHater

Reaction score
No doubt that I would save money by terminating early. If it were that easy. My wife and I share our plan. Of course, the family plan is cheaper than a single user plan-person for person. We'll see.

I am going try Easy Tether. Pdanet just won't work for me. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app; all to no avail. So, I have d/loaded ET and will try it when I get a chance. If that fails, I will look for and try other apps. I just want to be able to tether via USB.

Eff it! Can't get Easy Tether to install either. Eff it, eff it, eff it!!!!

ariethekid

Reaction score
Hey so I had a similar problem with the USB tether. I got everything working though.

Here's what I did:

1. Factory reset.
2. Root (I had it saved from ICS using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper) So if you don't already have root this won't work for you.
3. Change the entitlement check in the Settings Storage DB (the one that has motorola in the sub name) to "0" for both the USB and Wifi.
4. Reboot
5. Everything should work. It stopped asking me about subscription.

In a nutshell, Just do what you would normally do to get hotspot working and you should be good.

huskur

Reaction score
Foxfi from the play store is the way to go. No need to root and tethering works fine.

GAstorino

Reaction score
Teather

WOW... tell me please, how are you tethering using WIFI (if you are not a HOTSPOT).....

You need to use the program FoxFi to do so. Its a paid app but works great. Be sure you have unlimited data plan though. Turns your phone into the hotspot and you connect your other devices to it wirelessly.