no more unlimited data usage

ChugIt

Reaction score
Well, as I have stated around the forums, my wife works for Verizon Wireless. She is tech support (not customer service, they are ALWAYS uninformed it seems). Anyways, she has heard no talk and nothing in her InfoBank stating a possible tiered rate is in the works. This can be taken with a grain of salt because after all, she isn't one of the "big wigs". I hope it doesn't happen because I am a data whore!

DoubleTapp89

Reaction score
Well, as I have stated around the forums, my wife works for Verizon Wireless. She is tech support (not customer service, they are ALWAYS uninformed it seems). Anyways, she has heard no talk and nothing in her InfoBank stating a possible tiered rate is in the works. This can be taken with a grain of salt because after all, she isn't one of the "big wigs". I hope it doesn't happen because I am a data whore!

I'm with you. I like using all the Data I want.

littlkj5

Reaction score
So if they do switch to a capped plan will I be grandfathered in for as long as I have VZ?

or will I have to switch to one of the caps when I upgrade to a different phone and renew my contract?

ChugIt

Reaction score
So if they do switch to a capped plan will I be grandfathered in for as long as I have VZ?

or will I have to switch to one of the caps when I upgrade to a different phone and renew my contract?

It depends on how much change is made to their contracts pretty much. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. All we can do is wait and hope we're waiting for nothing to come.

montyboy

Reaction score
Engadget just posted a Verizon tiered data story. http://i.engadget.com/2010/07/20/verizon-switching-to-atandt-style-limited-data-plans-later-this-mo/

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Philba

Reaction score
Regardless of the rumors, VZ will be moving to tiered data plans. As their smartphone installed base catches up to AT&Ts, they will start to feel the pinch. Correction, WE will start to feel the pinch. Then you can bet people will start tweeting #VZFAIL.

VZ will benefit from watching AT&T flail under the iPhone onslaught but I don't think they are going to get off scott free.

sc4fpse

Reaction score
I love my Droid. I really do. I love having a smartphone. But not enough to put up with having to worry about my monthly usage. I would sooner sell my Droid on eBay and bust out the old RAZR v3m before I would willingly hand over money to Verizon for a tiered 3G data plan. 4G? Fine. We know it's coming. But after they specifically said they had no plans to move to this sort of pricing with 3G, I will be slightly ticked if they do just that.

I like my smart phone. But I also like not having to worry about this crap. Verizon, you've got my $30/month extra now. Be smart about it. I'll activate my ancient RAZR in a heartbeat and vote with my wallet.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
It has been my experience with Verizon that they want to keep their customers. The last time I asked about tiered plans I was told it wasn't happening and my current contract for unlimited data would remain in effect. So I'm not going to worry about what will be almost 2 years from now. Who knows, they might be up to 5G and 3Ghz phones by then.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

cb2000a

Reaction score
Regardless of the rumors, VZ will be moving to tiered data plans. As their smartphone installed base catches up to AT&Ts, they will start to feel the pinch. Correction, WE will start to feel the pinch. Then you can bet people will start tweeting #VZFAIL.

VZ will benefit from watching AT&T flail under the iPhone onslaught but I don't think they are going to get off scott free.

They most definitely will. I can assure you of that.

Philba

Reaction score
before you give up smart phones, you should take a look at your data usage. If you are under the cap by a good amount, no need to go retro. I considered using AT&T even with their 2G/Mo plan because I'm pretty sure I'd be well under it. Heck, it would have been $5/mo cheaper. But then I start to taste yesterday's lunch if I think about AT&T for long at all...

DeathXlife

Reaction score
Didn't read the entire thread, so this may have already been said. My issue with the whole "we can't offer unlimited data anymore" is this: why keep packing phones with data intense apps, if you don't want us using them? Here's your cake, just don't eat very much of it. And thanks for paying $500+ for what amounts to a hand-held PC but you have to pay a lot more if you want to get all the benefits of it.

Reaction score
Didn't read the entire thread, so this may have already been said. My issue with the whole "we can't offer unlimited data anymore" is this: why keep packing phones with data intense apps, if you don't want us using them? Here's your cake, just don't eat very much of it. And thanks for paying $500+ for what amounts to a hand-held PC but you have to pay a lot more if you want to get all the benefits of it.
i feel you. i listen to RMG on iheartradio and i listen for hours. i dont want to have to be limited or have to worry.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 2GB per month should be sufficient for me, only a problem if I start listening to a ton of music.

Use wifi at home, so that keeps the usage down. Even an app like pandora would be about 1mb/minute, so 1000 minutes would be a gig.

Of course, flash is going to start spiking usages. and if I fire up some tv.com on the road or do a little tethering 2gigs could start to feel limiting.

Would be nice if VZW were to let you "bank" unused data. Give us 2 gigs a month but let me carry over some each month so when my use spikes one week on the road I'm not out of pocket.

hapster

Reaction score
Would be nice if VZW were to let you "bank" unused data. Give us 2 gigs a month but let me carry over some each month so when my use spikes one week on the road I'm not out of pocket.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening. VZ has never adopted that model for minutes, and still have plenty of customers, so what incentive would they have to use it for data?

Sent from my Droid

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score

They DO want you to use those data based apps and the more of those type apps that exist the more chances of people going over their data limits. This is not about limiting anyone's data usage it's about getting more money from us because they already know through market data that a good portion of us WILL go over our limits.

It's the same principal as your bank and NSF fees. You think they want you to stop bouncing checks? Think again....