No more rubiX?

sruel3216

Reaction score
Ive ran fission and focused and tbh, focused is much snappier... My only concern is the framework and services, is it still shared between both?

They're not identical... at least not currently.
If drod gets control of Fission for the X, they may become that way... Depends on what drod does.

My ONLY concern with Fission, is the drama and flakeyness of it's primary developer... Can't go near fission without some kind of drama that leads to more donations it seems. :p

Edit: To back my claim:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...a-2-0-android-frg83-2-2-1-a-2.html#post951455

That thread used to be much longer... I believe a number of posts were removed (??). Ang was actually banned from droidforums for a while due to .. something. I missed it, but don't care.

I'm not into drama. I'm not interested in backing a dev who is more concerned with the number of people donating, than helping to make their stuff run.

Drod does this because he loves it. It's a hobby, not a job. Drod has also never threatened to put his ROM on the Market, and charge 5, or 10$ because he hasn't been getting enough donations.

I'll switch to a Blur ROM before I go to Fission... Just me *shrug*

i agree with you 100%

i was just on xda reading the most recent post. someone had a question about something that wasnt in the changelog and Ang got all pissy and upset about it. saying it was a stupid question even tho it wasnt stated anywhere.

its sad to see Drod go to fission...Ang is an asshole it seems to me imo. guess im going to use blurry once it is updated.

sephtin

Reaction score
I agree with you 100%

i was just on xda reading the most recent post. someone had a question about something that wasnt in the changelog and Ang got all pissy and upset about it. saying it was a stupid question even tho it wasnt stated anywhere.

its sad to see Drod go to fission...Ang is an asshole it seems to me imo. guess im going to use blurry once it is updated.

To clarify... Drod was heavily involved in the droidx version of Fission already.. and Focused is actually based on that work...

I honestly think Fission is a great ROM.. and I'm all for having more choices. I also believe that Ang is a great dev.. the team has put a ton into the Fission ROMs... But personal preference will keep me away from Fission.

sruel3216

Reaction score
I agree with you 100%

To clarify... Drod was heavily involved in the droidx version of Fission already.. and Focused is actually based on that work...

I honestly think Fission is a great ROM.. and I'm all for having more choices. I also believe that Ang is a great dev.. the team has put a ton into the Fission ROMs... But personal preference will keep me away from Fission.

well yea im not saying he isnt a great dev. i used fission before rubix and loved it. just when fission kept moving around to different forums it got annoying. i realized rubix was made from someone (drod) that had a huge impact on fission so i decided to try it out cuz it probably be amazing...and it is. like someone else said, way to much drama with fission and drod does this for everyone cuz he simply loves it.

drod said the next update of blurry is going to be very customizable where u can pick and choose what blurry features you want. i can not wait for that! the only blurry feature i want is the text app

Reaction score
i liked rubix over fission but...i really follow the dev, not the rom so fission gets another shot if drod is running things.

OP
jdhas

jdhas

Reaction score
drod said the next update of blurry is going to be very customizable where u can pick and choose what blurry features you want. i can not wait for that! the only blurry feature i want is the text app

Now I'm intrigued...!! dancedroid

humungus

Reaction score
It's something I tossed out to Ang as an idea when he asked me about including my tweaks into Fission and having me lead the DX front, keeping up with all these roms is tough, especially with finals growing nearer, and a crapload of stress already on my back, but I had a MAJOR breakthrough tonight. rubiX Will not be discontinued, but I will be the head of fission DX. rubiX Focused will be getting updates only when a major breakthrough is achieved, Blurry will be getting regular updates. Fission will be posted in my section since i'm now the head of the DX development section of it. It will receive the majority of my goodies (not all, I have to give you all a reason to flash rubiX ;) )

Why would Fission be interesting if what you're cooking works out?

drod2169

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Rubix is going no where guys, please, don't worry :)

I promise, Rubix will be getting goodies, but it will NOT be getting updates like fission, as it never has. I'm against releasing rc's to the public.

Rubix will be fully supported by me as it currently is. All I'm going tl be doing for fission is cooking the rom

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
jdhas

jdhas

Reaction score

I promise, Rubix will be getting goodies, but it will NOT be getting updates like fission, as it never has. I'm against releasing rc's to the public.

Rubix will be fully supported by me as it currently is. All I'm going tl be doing for fission is cooking the rom

dancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

hailtothetheif83

Reaction score

YAY rubiX is still alive and well!!! dancedroiddancedroid

GTvert90

Reaction score
It makes no sense to me to put your effort into Fission but save some "goodies" for rubiX. I'd want the best rom possible. And since your now behind both that will be either Fission or rubiX.

sephtin

Reaction score
It makes no sense to me to put your effort into Fission but save some "goodies" for rubiX. I'd want the best rom possible. And since your now behind both that will be either Fission or rubiX.

"And since you're now behind both...." is inaccurate.
Drod is partially responsible for the DroidX version of Fission... so this is nothing new. He's been on the Fission team (team DeFuse) since before Fission was released for the 2/X... Which is how it became the base for Focused in version 1.0.

So, whether it makes sense or not.... He put tons and tons of effort into Fission, but all of the goodies are in Focused 1.x. That's not new, and it hasn't and won't change... I realize there is confusion resulting from this, but this isn't new, not a change. This is how it's always been.

They're both great ROMs. You want the best ROM possible.. and in the long run, that's what choice is all about! The only difference, is that drod will (I hope) have control of Fission's DX version... Sounds like it's going to he HIS to work with, as he'll be in charge of it... I guess I don't see a down side to this...

Reaction score

Drod is partially responsible for the DroidX version of Fission... so this is nothing new. He's been on the Fission team (team DeFuse) since before Fission was released for the 2/X... Which is how it became the base for Focused in version 1.0.

So, whether it makes sense or not.... He put tons and tons of effort into Fission, but all of the goodies are in Focused 1.x. That's not new, and it hasn't and won't change... I realize there is confusion resulting from this, but this isn't new, not a change. This is how it's always been.

They're both great ROMs. You want the best ROM possible.. and in the long run, that's what choice is all about! The only difference, is that drod will (I hope) have control of Fission's DX version... Sounds like it's going to he HIS to work with, as he'll be in charge of it... I guess I don't see a down side to this...

Given Drod's statements early in this thread, I completely agree with GVert. At least until some more info is provided.

If Fission is to be "his" and is meant (as Fission is) to be as close as an AOSP experience as possible, and if "Blurry" is drod's "optimized" version of blur, just where does that leave Focused?

For a guy who's time is already short, trying to differentiate Focused from Fission just seems to be too much trouble.

Please don't take any of this as criticism. It's just simple math. These two ROMS (Fission & Focused) are already very closely related. Wouldn't make sense for Drod to spend much time on Focused, if Fission was under his complete control.

However: If Fission IS NOT UNDER HIS COMPLETE Control, then that may be a different matter. And with Drod's success with Focused, why would he want to be hamstrung on another project?

Just my opinion.

sephtin

Reaction score

Given Drod's statements early in this thread, I completely agree with GVert. At least until some more info is provided.

If Fission is to be "his" and is meant (as Fission is) to be as close as an AOSP experience as possible, and if "Blurry" is drod's "optimized" version of blur, just where does that leave Focused?

For a guy who's time is already short, trying to differentiate Focused from Fission just seems to be too much trouble.

Please don't take any of this as criticism. It's just simple math. These two ROMS (Fission & Focused) are already very closely related. Wouldn't make sense for Drod to spend much time on Focused, if Fission was under his complete control.

However: If Fission IS NOT UNDER HIS COMPLETE Control, then that may be a different matter. And with Drod's success with Focused, why would he want to be hamstrung on another project?

Just my opinion.

Totally understand what you're saying. But.. while Ang says that drod will be in charge of the DroidX branch, or whatever. He's still Ang. I can't see him giving up much if any control, and drama will remain the central platform upon which Fission revolves. (I've been looking for changes, but as of yet, this is all I've seen from the Fission project as a whole).

A few differences between the two ROMs:
Support. While I admit, drod hasn't spent a ton of time on the forums supporting... I chat with him quite a bit... and I have to say that the boards for Focused would to me say that it's fairly well supported (*cough* pats own back a little *cough*). For comparison, go check Fission boards. When someone asks a simple install question, the dev changes the install instructions in the first post to "Do what you want, no one reads this anyway"... and flames the person asking the question.

Donations. Fission donations go to Ang. Donations for rubiX Focused/Blurry go to Drod. Unless Ang is willing to split with drod(...), there's one good reason to keep Focused more than alive and well.

Pride. Drod put out ROMs for Drod G1 (rubiK), and while I can't speak for him on this matter... I CAN say that he is VERY proud of the work he has currently. They are his, not part of some team. He does this because he really enjoys it.

No matter what the case, or what makes sense to one person over another... this is drod's call. If he says that he's going to maintain Fission, and continue to release Focused and Blurry, then until I hear otherwise from him.. I have to assume that his plans are to maintain Fission for DX, and release updates for Focused and Blurry.

Edit: And I only mention this because I'm absolutely certain that drod won't give up Focused... *shrug*
If anything was ever to happen to Focused, such as time constraints led Drod to drop it to work solely on Fission.... I feel very confident that a fork of Focused would live on in some way shape or form...

....... anyway......
So, while several people seem to believe that it doesn't make sense for drod to keep Focused going... I just don't share those concerns.
The single concern I might have for that Focused could possibly be dropped... is only if Ang put pressure on drod to choose one or the other. But if that happens, I'd have to guess that drod would choose his own work over that of a team of devs.. but I could be wrong (??).

Other than Ang starting (unintentional??) drama (again) with his post... there isn't ANYTHING that's changed! Drod is still a part of Team DeFuse, drod will still work on Focused/Blurry.

Edit2: Apologize for flaming Ang, it is more or less uncalled for.. but doing it to make a point. I haven't been negative towards ANYONE in the Android/Droid community... pretty much ever, and don't mean for it to come off that way towards him either. Only repeating what I've seen, and sharing my concerns therein.

Droid74

Reaction score
I feel Sephtin is fully correct in his view above. One of the biggest reason I never tried Fission is the install instructions were never fully clear, then he did change it to what Sephtin said, and even today on his post he was flaming someone. The only reason at this point i would try Fission is because Drod is there working on it and at that point Fission cant help but improve. I feel fully comfortable staying with Focused as I have been assured that it will continue to be supported by the big cheese himself. This entire thread should probably just be deleted imho.

Reaction score
I feel Sephtin is fully correct in his view above. One of the biggest reason I never tried Fission is the install instructions were never fully clear, then he did change it to what Sephtin said, and even today on his post he was flaming someone. The only reason at this point i would try Fission is because Drod is there working on it and at that point Fission cant help but improve. I feel fully comfortable staying with Focused as I have been assured that it will continue to be supported by the big cheese himself. This entire thread should probably just be deleted imho.

I don't see why the thread should be deleted. People are just stating their views and opinions. Drod will make his choices, with or without our input. So long as everyone stays respectful, I see no reason to delete the thread.

Having said all of that, my post was not meant to say that I hope drod drops focused for fission. Just the opposite. I hope he continues Focused, and finds that he doesn't have time to be a part of Fission.

I just think its unrealistic to think that he will have time to dedicate to Fission, Focused & Blurry. There are clear (no pun intended) differences between Blurry & the other two, but when time becomes critical (and we know it is for drod these days), I think one or the other will fall by the wayside.